[COM] Brickworks Redevelopment | $70m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #APP - $70m Brickworks Redevelopment

#61 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:06 pm

crawf wrote:
Join Woolworths, Big W, Mini Major and 55 specialty operators. The centre is due to open towards the end of 2013.

Opportunities exist for:

Chemist
Newsagent
Bakery
Patisserie
Butcher
Hair and beauty
Coffee
Fast Food
Restaurant
Mobile Phones
Discount Operator
Fashion

http://www.woolworthsshoppingcentres.co ... arketplace
I was right. The Go-Karts, Pedal Boats and of course, the former Plant Liquidators place is indeed old & outdated & ready to leave!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by mooshie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:23 pm

What is the tenancy up by south road? It's a steep rise from the car park up to there

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by baytram366 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:33 am

The existing store on the South Road is a BBQ store and isn't really connected to the markets as far as I know.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#64 Post by mooshie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Yeah that is the brown next to south road in the pic, but the proposed buildings in blue include a building on the vacant corner block

metro
Legendary Member!

#65 Post by metro » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:13 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-16/b ... section=sa
Brickworks traders told to move

Brickworks Markets traders at Torrensville have been told they will have to leave when Woolworths begins construction of its new shopping centre in Adelaide's inner west, because of safety concerns.

The development has been three years in the planning, with Woolworths buying two thirds of the former quarry site from West Torrens Council.

Council CEO Terry Buss says traders have month-by-month tenure and are appealing to Woolworths to let them stay during the planned 20-month construction phase.

"They're more than happy to try and work around it but they [developer] don't believe it can be achieved, in other words, the traders continuing to operate, mainly because of health and safety issues," he said.

"We understand the intention's that if Woolworths were to start in sort of April that they would be looking for an open date prior to Christmas next year, 2013."

A fruit and vegetable trader at the Brickworks says he has been given notice he must move out in six weeks, which does not allow enough time to find new premises.

Van Nguyen says he will lose everything, including his regular customers, and had earlier been given an understanding traders would be moved to a new area within the Brickworks site.

Woolworths says it is willing to look at options including allowing traders to open on Sundays when construction is not taking place.

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon says it is a David and Goliath battle and he will meet the traders to discuss options.

"I'm due to meet Grant O'Brien, the CEO of Woolworths, in Sydney in the next two or three weeks, so I'm looking forward to raising this with him, if there isn't a good result [beforehand]," he said.

"Woolies have to understand that if they want to be connected to the community they just can't turf out 50 small businesses on their ear like this."
typical woolies :roll:

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#66 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Aren't the ones being asked to leave running stalls in the part that is being redeveloped?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by pushbutton » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:40 pm

What a boring development.

I visited the brickworks yesterday and could see the potential it had to become a really interesting, exciting place for families to enjoy a day of leisure combined with market shopping. I never really quite achieved what it should have by the look of it, mainly due to poor maintenance and lack of investment. Obviously the previous owners just couldn't make enough or didn't have enough capital to do much with it.

For years it's been mostly empty and looking very tired and run down.

It did have potential though, and that can be clearly seen in the design of the buildings and the layout of the whole complex.

What is really needed now was a company who could see the potential it had, and give it a makeover in keeping with the original intention.

What it really didn't need was a company like Woolworths to come along and build what looks like it will essentially be yet another boring little suburban mall with just a handful of boring shops that are identical to those found all over the country.

Is shopping the only thing South Australians want to do? I don't think so!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:23 am

pushbutton wrote:Is shopping the only thing South Australians want to do? I don't think so!
You would be forgiven for coming to that conclusion. Every time someone tries something different, the local population becomes bored of it and it struggles. But we have a cookie cutter local shopping centre in almost every suburb.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by shiftaling » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 pm

It's pretty clear that the modern eqivalent of a Market square is just a big W and a woolworths. Just a little bit sad.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by shiftaling » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:03 pm

I don't even know why I said 'market square', the neverending circular walk around the kiln was always the best bit, hope they keep that

metro
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #Proposal - $70m Brickworks Redevelopment

#71 Post by metro » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:56 pm

metro wrote:
Will wrote:From the Messenger:
The development will include a Woolies, Big Woolies, Woolies owned bottle shop, about 50 Woolies friendly specialty shops and over 1,000 car spaces, with the main market building and heritage-listed kiln being retained by the council, because woolies wanted to have it removed.
this is a bit more accurate. :lol:
sad how true this actually is :?

edison
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#72 Post by edison » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:02 pm

I have always loved The Brickworks. I will totally agree though, its been run down and in desperate need of renovations and restorations for over a decade now. Still, I'm not liking this woolies deal one bit.

I personally hate how we always feel the need to compare ourselves to Melbourne, but in this instance i will take liberty becuase i think its valid. The Queen Victoria Markets in Melbourne are an insititution, as a toruist destination and for local fresh food business trade. The Camberwell Markets are another hughely popular market space in Melbourne that i have heard about. From what i understand its open to anyone, you just need to register and turn up extra early to set up your table and you can sell whatever you want. If we opened up the market stalls to the public in some similar kind of trade agreement, there could actually be a reason to venture into the stalls again. Because lately (and I'm talking close to ten years now) the majority of them have been totally empty or boarded up!

I see The Brickworks as Adelaide's answer, not far out of the cbd, good space, interesting layout, heritage traditional buildings, etc... The Brickworks offers markets, arts and crafts, food, potential live music again in the beer garden/brickworks stage and of course the leisure activities which are fantastic and among the very few places that offer such rides anymore. I wish I had the capital to buy the place, clean it up, ditch the seedyness, so it appeals to people again. Young and old. It boasts nothing but potential. Replacing it with yet another souless shopping complex is a bitter pill.

Waewick

#73 Post by Waewick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 am

Adelaide already has the Central markets and the various farmers markets around the place so I'm not sure where you are coming from in that sense.

as for the greater atmosphere, I haven't ventured down there for 15 years so I can't comment, I assume they were similar to Norwoods Markets which shut a few years back?

btw- everyone who compares Adelaide to Melbourne believes their point is valid :)

Nort

#74 Post by Nort » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm sad that the Brickworks never lived up to their potential, but for a market destination the Central Markets are ideally positioned. Ultimately I'd like to see the second floor of the Central Markets (currently a car park) turned into a second level of markets, for general goods as opposed to the food below.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Nort wrote:I'm sad that the Brickworks never lived up to their potential, but for a market destination the Central Markets are ideally positioned. Ultimately I'd like to see the second floor of the Central Markets (currently a car park) turned into a second level of markets, for general goods as opposed to the food below.
If you used that level as more markets you'd either have to drop another level or two on top for more car parking (which is possible as the foundations were made for expansion) or encourage everyone out of their cars.

During market days every one of those 998 car parks are in constant turnover use.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.