[COM] Brickworks Redevelopment | $70m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #APP - $70m Brickworks Redevelopment

#91 Post by Nort » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:17 am

advantix wrote:Don't know how true it is but I heard that Woolworths have apparently scrapped the redevelopment
I hope so to be honest. The Brickworks have a lot of potential to be a unique destination if given the right attention. With good investment the Brickworks could be an entertainment/leisure destination like it was originally intended.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: APP: Brickworks Redevelopment | $70m

#92 Post by pushbutton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:42 pm

I agree completely with your last post Nort. Woolworths are just not the right people to be investing in the Brickworks.

Adelaide does not need yet another boring little mall with a supermarket and discount dept store.

It does however, DESPERATELY need something fun for people to enjoy, and maybe even to attract a few tourists.

The brickworks does have some potential to be such a place, in my opinion.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by serca » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Anything will be better than the run down shit hole that was there :toilet:

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by neoballmon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:20 pm

That's good if Woolies have pulled out. It would take the atmosphere from the markets.
Unfortunately, the best solution - a refurb of what's there now, improving the non-heritage buildings, and the side events (golf, go-karts etc), would require a large investment, with very little return. So an interested party would need to understand they'll possibly never profit, and that's not going to be easy to find.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#95 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Work on $50m Woolworths shopping centre for Brickworks site to start soon

WORK on the $50 million Woolworths shopping ­centre at the Brickworks site could start as early as August.

The plans, which include a Woolworths supermarket, Big W and 37 specialty shops on the Ashwin Pde site, were approved by West Torrens Council in February andare awaiting assessment by the State Government's Development Assessment Commission (DAC).

A Woolworths spokesman said the supermarket chain was hopeful the development would be approved this month and construction would start in August.

more

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#96 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 pm

State Government approves plans for a $38.5 million Woolworths development at the Brickworks Market

A $38.5 million supermarket complex at the Brickworks Market site has been given its final green light.

The State Government's Development Assessment Commission (DAC) last week approved plans for the Brickworks Market Shopping Centre on the Ashwin Pde, Torrensville, site.

The plansinclude a Woolworths supermarket, Big W, Dan Murphy's Liquor Store, specialty shops, restaurants and outdoor dining plaza and 681 carparks.

more

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#97 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Looks like that's the end of the brickworks then. Not unexpected, but still bitterly disappointing that such a great opportunity has been missed.

Isn't there ANYONE in Adelaide with the money and the vision to create somewhere people can have fun?

The Scooter Guy

#98 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:51 am

pushbutton wrote:Looks like that's the end of the brickworks then. Not unexpected, but still bitterly disappointing that such a great opportunity has been missed.

Isn't there ANYONE in Adelaide with the money and the vision to create somewhere people can have fun?
And the Go-Kart track's days are numbered!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#99 Post by Bacon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:01 am

Demolition has commenced

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#100 Post by neoballmon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:01 am

The little shop that fronted South Road near the river is gone as well. I didn't realise this was going as part of the development.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

The Scooter Guy

[COM] Re: #SWP: Brickworks Redevelopment | $70m

#101 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:08 pm

For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Aidan

#102 Post by Aidan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Does anyone have a map of what they're planning to do?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#103 Post by pushbutton » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:55 pm

It was very run down and in serious need of investment. I just really wish I could find anything positive about the investment that's actually happening. Anything at all would suffice!

I may take a look at it out of curiosity, but I sure as hell won't be spending a cent at the new Woolies centre they're building unless it features at least as much fun stuff to do as the brickworks did (and preferably far more).

It's the type of development that, had the council got any interest in what was best for the people they supposedly serve, they would never have allowed.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#104 Post by how good is he » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:06 am

In a perfect world yes.. but the bottom line is if all these fun things aren't profitable or there is no operator to bid for it or run it, what do you expect the council to do? Loose more money for their ratepayers?
While I agree it's probably going to be just another generic tilt up shopping centre maybe it's the only kind of company that can fund it and make it work financially. The site was available for many years to anybody to bid for it or compete with Woolworths. It will be interesting to see if the council get any takers for the other significant parcel of land they are selling next door. If there are operators that can make these attractions work they can still bid for this land.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by pushbutton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:54 pm

how good is he wrote:In a perfect world yes.. but the bottom line is if all these fun things aren't profitable or there is no operator to bid for it or run it, what do you expect the council to do? Loose more money for their ratepayers?
While I agree it's probably going to be just another generic tilt up shopping centre maybe it's the only kind of company that can fund it and make it work financially. The site was available for many years to anybody to bid for it or compete with Woolworths. It will be interesting to see if the council get any takers for the other significant parcel of land they are selling next door. If there are operators that can make these attractions work they can still bid for this land.
Well, fingers crossed eh?