News & Developments: Elizabeth & Salisbury

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Elizabeth: Adelaide’s second CBD

#46 Post by Cruise » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Shuz wrote:It never has been Cruise; I'm just here to state the obvious, rather.
Marion is just a big shopping centre, but then also so is elizabeth.

Tbh i'm with rev on this one.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by AtD » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:14 pm

rev wrote:If Adelaide's population ever exceeds 2 million there might be a case for a second CBD, but even then, the one CBD we have won't have reached its full potential or capacity so why bother with a second CBD that will only be detrimental to the main CBD? The focus should be on the CBD now as it is, to building it up, not on creating satellite cbds that will in all likelihood fail.

Nice thought though, but maybe when our cities population hits the multiple millions and can actually sustain multiple cbd's.
The "case" for a second CBD will be decided entirely by tenant demand, not bureaucrats and definitely not this little forum. Without tenant commitments, no construction is likely to occur.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by Aidan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:28 pm

I think we're discussing this at cross purposes. What exactly do people mean by CBD?

If it's something that existing big cities typically have dozens of then yes, Elizabeth will become one. But I didn't think that was what people generally understood a CBD to be.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rhino

#49 Post by rhino » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:22 pm

A CBD is, literally, a Central Business District. Therefore, Elizabeth already has a CBD, albeit a rather localised one, in that most of the businesses run from the Elizabeth CBD relate to the relatively local area of the northern suburbs, whereas the Adelaide CBD is the nerve centre for the entire state, and will continue in that roll, which Elizabeth will never match. Virtually every suburb has a CBD, usually called the local shopping centre. The term is usually reserved for major city centres, so that you are more likely to hear of the Mount Gambier CBD or the Murray Bridge CBD than the Elizabeth CBD, because although Elizabeth is a more populous place, it is regarded as part of the Adelaide Metropolitan Area.
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 pm

IMO, Murray Bridge, Mt Barker, Victor Harbor, etc have town centres, not CBDs. Elizabeth is moving towards becoming more than a town centre - perhaps a "satellite BD", but nothing more. There's nothing wrong with being a satellite, just a fact of life, and it certainly won't preclude more tall buildings, density, blah.

This is simple political posturing to get publicity for the region...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner

#51 Post by skyliner » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:58 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:I thought Elizabeth was supposed to be a satellite city when it was created?
It was. My parents were thinking of getting a house there at the time - due to the way it was presented no doubt.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

skyliner

#52 Post by skyliner » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:01 pm

Cruise wrote:
Shuz wrote:Isn't Elizabeth counted as part of the Greater Adelaide metropolitian area, ie; constituting a part the 1.1m figure?
Yes, the quoted population figure is that of the Salisbury and Playford councils combined.
It also includes Gawler - known as the Adelaide Statistical Division.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#53 Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Does anyone else think the term "second CBD" is an oxymoron?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by Wayno » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Cruise wrote:Does anyone else think the term "second CBD" is an oxymoron?
Yep, an oxymoron it is! and that's my 'unbiased opinion'...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: U/C: $15.6m Aquadome Elizabeth Upgrade

#55 Post by Will » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:21 am

Hindmarsh have updated their website again revealing some information regarding this project:

This redevelopment for the City of Playford includes the complete refurbishment of the existing 50 metre pool with an exciting new waterslide. Other water facilities include a new 25m leisure pool with beach entry.

Additionally a new modern gym and fitness facilities, steam room, spa facilities and crèche facilities with indoor and outdoor areas will add to the amenity of the residents of the area.
more information: http://www.hindmarshgroup.com/images/pr ... uadome.pdf

Aidan

#56 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:21 pm

It initially appears to be, but I don't think it really is. When another relatively central area develops the characteristics of the original CBD, what prevents it from becoming a second CBD? And what, if anything, is wrong with the claim that Parramatta is becoming Sydney's second CBD?

According to Wikipedia, Lucknow, India has three CBDs, and it could be argued that London also does (CIty of London, City of Westminster, and Canary Wharf).

But it's hard to imagine Elizabeth becoming either sufficiently central or attracting enough business to become a CBD, let alone both!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Aidan wrote:
It initially appears to be, but I don't think it really is. When another relatively central area develops the characteristics of the original CBD, what prevents it from becoming a second CBD? And what, if anything, is wrong with the claim that Parramatta is becoming Sydney's second CBD?

According to Wikipedia, Lucknow, India has three CBDs, and it could be argued that London also does (CIty of London, City of Westminster, and Canary Wharf).

But it's hard to imagine Elizabeth becoming either sufficiently central or attracting enough business to become a CBD, let alone both!
In the London example all three of those areas are central to Greater London. Elizabeth has a CBD, relative to its council area. But relative to the Adelaide Greater metropolitan area, Adelaide City is the CBD, while Elizabeth, Pt Adelaide, Marion and other areas of commercial activity are outlying business districts.

Central Business Districts don't need to be exactly central, but they do need to be the focal point for most concentrated commercial activity in a given area.

It's all relative.

(I wouldn't trust Wikipedia on this topic, there's far too much conjecture on the subject and not enough formal definitions for the article to represent an authority)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

The Scooter Guy

Re: #PRO: Parabanks $100m expansion

#58 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:25 pm

Although this topic is 6 months old, the former Spotlight store is being demolished! Does it mean it's making way for the expansion perhaps? :?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

The Scooter Guy

#59 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Looked on Nearmap and found the old Spotlight store being demolished...
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by fabricator » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:50 pm

When I went past last week, the former Spotlight store was being mostly demolished. Holes cut in walls, windows and doors being bricked up and concrete poured. Looks like some smart developer is making a new shop from the shell of the old one.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.