News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#886 Post by neoballmon » Fri May 09, 2014 12:40 am

On The Run (former Mobil) on South Road at Morphett Vale - next to the Emu - closes on Monday for demolishing and rebuilding, like many others have before it.

I was just thinking, almost all of these former Mobil sites have been carbon, copies of each other. Exact same size, same plan inside, and all look like they were built in the early 80's, and on the cheapest budget available. 'Quik' stores seemed to be the only exception, and even these looked very outdated.

When were most of them built though, was it all around the same time? Similar to Peregrine now, rebuilding them all?

Just in this area, ones I can think of that are/were identical
Morphett Vale (getting demolished)
Christie Downs (still open)
Seaford (rebuilt)
Aldinga (still open, plans in pipeline)
Sheidow Park (still open)
Darlington (next to BP, long ago demolished)
Seacliff Park (demolished, now a Mango selling location)
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#887 Post by Aidan » Fri May 09, 2014 1:54 am

neoballmon wrote:On The Run (former Mobil) on South Road at Morphett Vale - next to the Emu - closes on Monday for demolishing and rebuilding, like many others have before it.

I was just thinking, almost all of these former Mobil sites have been carbon, copies of each other. Exact same size, same plan inside, and all look like they were built in the early 80's, and on the cheapest budget available. 'Quik' stores seemed to be the only exception, and even these looked very outdated.

When were most of them built though, was it all around the same time? Similar to Peregrine now, rebuilding them all?

Just in this area, ones I can think of that are/were identical
Morphett Vale (getting demolished)
Christie Downs (still open)
Seaford (rebuilt)
Aldinga (still open, plans in pipeline)
Sheidow Park (still open)
Darlington (next to BP, long ago demolished)
Seacliff Park (demolished, now a Mango selling location)
The Sheidow Park one was built in 1989 IIRC, and I think the Seaford one is slightly newer.
Christie Downs is older (as were Seacliff Park and Darlington) but I don't know how much older.
No idea about Morphett Vale and Aldinga.

If they're identical it probably means there was no point paying an architect to design something new when the existing design was cheap and met all their requirements. But they looked merely similar rather than absolutely identical.

Sheidow Park was Mobil from the start, but were they all? I remember some Mobil stations used to be Esso, but I can't remember which ones.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#888 Post by neoballmon » Fri May 09, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks for that. I've only ever known them to be Mobil, but having said that, all I would have passed often enough before 2000 to remember would be Morphett Vale, Christie Downs and possibly Darlington. I've never seen an Esso before though so that must have been before my time.

richardsmith
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#889 Post by richardsmith » Mon May 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Mrs Bracegirdle said it would create about 20 jobs.
Well this is really a fantastic news for the job seekers in Retail industry... Development is the cor aspects of any economy.. I and my family recently relocate in Melbourne I am also looking for retail jobs melbourne :) :)
http://www.jobsmelbournevic.com.au/retail

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#890 Post by muzzamo » Mon May 12, 2014 4:30 pm

neoballmon wrote:On The Run (former Mobil) on South Road at Morphett Vale - next to the Emu - closes on Monday for demolishing and rebuilding, like many others have before it.
I know for a fact that the standalone subway at Morphett vale (50m down from the servo) is now owned by peregrine as well.

Not difficult to guess which franchise is going to be included in the new on the run location.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#891 Post by neoballmon » Mon May 19, 2014 3:02 pm

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/s ... 6922658105

SUPERMARKET giant Aldi has lodged plans to build the first of 50 stores across the state in Seaford Heights.

The discount supermarket chain has applied to Onkaparinga Council for the development on the corner of Robinson Rd and Vista Parade, being built 320m east of Main South Rd.

It would include a 1587sq m building, a 104-space carpark and a 5.9m tall Aldi sign.

The development is part of a $300 million expansion by Aldi into SA and comes after its $70 million distribution centrewas last week approved to be built in Regency Park.

Darren Kellaway, who lives on Robinson Rd and would face a 7.6m supermarket wall, hoped it would not devalue his property.

“It’s good that it will bring employment to the region, but there is a supermarket down the road at Seaford Rise, so I don’t know why they needed another,” Mr Kellaway said.

The council has not reviewed all public submissions on the proposal, but had received one in favour of the application.

The plans will be considered by the council’s Development Assessment Panel if a resident wished to be heard.

If not, council staff can either assess the plan themselves or delegate it to the DAP.

Aldi declined to give further details on the plan until the application was considered.

A Planning Department case manager was appointed last year to help identify suitable locations for Aldi stores.

The department would not comment on other possible Aldi sites, but said it would continue to work with the company to “support the significant economic benefits associated with Aldi’s decision to enter South Australia”.
So it seems the first Aldi will be down south. Better than another Woolies going in that section, I still can't see the need of Seaford Meadows being a woolies when there's another one just down the road.

I've also heard speculation that Sam's warehouse at Woddcroft will be becoming an Aldi (no source sorry), but given that Sam's is closing sometime this month, I find it unlikely to be true that the store will be sitting there empty for 2 years until the warehouse is built at Regency. Perhaps Aldi own the site and are leasing it out to another company for 2 years.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#892 Post by Ben » Thu May 22, 2014 10:55 am

Application for redevelopment of gillies Plains shopping centre on DAC site with addition of an Aldi and Dan Murphys.

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#893 Post by eKwatee » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:18 pm

Not sure if this has been posted here before.

Multi-million dollar Penfolds redevelopment - from WBM online
The multi-million dollar investment will see the seamless integration of innovation and heritage in the creation of a new cellar door, café and world-class consumer experience that pushes the boundaries to inspire visitors for 170 years to come
http://wbmonline.com.au/news/multi-mill ... velopment/

also see

Penfolds hoping to immerse us in Grange - from The Australian
THE birthplace of Australia’s most-collected wine, Penfolds Grange, is undergoing a $10 million-plus makeover as parent company Treasury Wine Estates seeks to convert a fast-growing tide of visitors into passionate evangelists for the brand.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6960491730#

Rene
Gold-Member ;)

#894 Post by Rene » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:00 pm

From this weeks Southern Times (Messenger) - page 7
OLD NOARLUNGA
Bunnings store bid
JOBS BOOST ON THE CARDS
Erin Jones
A $25 MILLION Burnings outlet proposed for Old Noarlunga would breathe life into the local area by creating more than 100 jobs the hardware chain says.
The Bunnings Group submitted a plan to the council’s Development Assessment Panel to build the store on the corner of Main South and Seaford roads.
The plan was for a 5300sq m warehouse. a cafe, indoor playground, an outdoor nursery and a 252 space carpark.
Bunnings property manager Andrew Marks said Bunnings was committed to supporting local communities and would create 105 jobs if it was approved.
"The project is estimated to create an additional 145 jobs during the construction phase and represents a significant direct investment in the local area." Mr Marks said. Bunnings hopes to open the store mid next year, if approved.
It is the third time the company has submitted plans to develop the site.
The council rejected two applications in 2012 because the development did not comply with the site's Home Industry zone.
The site's zone was amended in December to allow for bulky goods stores.
Public consultation on the plan closed last month and four responses were received - three in favour.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#895 Post by pushbutton » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:22 pm

So 6.9km (or an estimated 9 min drive according to Google Maps) from Bunnings at Noarlunga Centre.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#896 Post by neoballmon » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:58 am

Seems it would be better at the Griffiths Road end of Seaford, to space out from Noarlunga a little further and to better serve Seaford Rise, Moana and the new development a little closer.
especially with the expressway almost open, it'll be much less than those 9 minutes.

What corner is it? North-west? (Where the old plant business used to be)

Aidan

#897 Post by Aidan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:23 pm

pushbutton wrote:So 6.9km (or an estimated 9 min drive according to Google Maps) from Bunnings at Noarlunga Centre.
5.9km and 7 minutes when the Expressway's open (as it soon will be both ways).

It looks to me like a response to the threat of Masters acquiring the site.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Nathan

#898 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 am

A nice little filler for Kent Tow. Only the second cross laminated timber constructed residential building in Australia.
http://www.theurbandeveloper.com/south- ... een-light/

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#899 Post by Torrens_5022 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Looks nice 5 stories is a good height for a fringe suburb like Kent Town. Developments like this would be good along Henley Beach Rd between the Bakewell underpass and south Rd, it will keep the commercial use (offices) and retail on the ground floor and have 3 to 5 stories of apartments above, All that's there now is commercial office buildings, you would have easy access to the city and Torrensville Village.

Nathan

#900 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:29 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:Looks nice 5 stories is a good height for a fringe suburb like Kent Town. Developments like this would be good along Henley Beach Rd between the Bakewell underpass and south Rd, it will keep the commercial use (offices) and retail on the ground floor and have 3 to 5 stories of apartments above, All that's there now is commercial office buildings, you would have easy access to the city and Torrensville Village.
Exactly that was proposed for that section of Henley Beach Rd in the 30yr plan, but has been fought back down to 2 stories by the City of West Torrens. They've been up there with the City of Burnside in resisting new height allowances.