News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: General Suburban Projects & Discussion

#616 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:29 pm

To be honest, I never really liked the blue.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#617 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:11 am

From the Messenger;
THE Maras Group will lodge plans for a cinema on Prospect Rd as soon as the street’s new height limits are approved.

The three-storey complex, earmarked for the corner of Prospect Rd and Rose St, will include fashion boutiques and restaurants on the ground level, with the cinema above.

Maras Group director Steve Maras said he was waiting for the State Government to sign off on new height limits, expected to happen early next year.

Mr Maras said two storeys the street’s existing height limit was not enough for the development to go ahead.

“If we have got retail and restaurants on the ground level, we need another two storeys for the height of a cinema,” Mr Maras said.

The new height limits were yet to be confirmed, but Mr Maras said three-to-four storeys was more realistic for Prospect Rd than the suggested five storeys.

The State Government is changing height limits along the inner-north’s main roads to cater for population growth as part of it’s 30-Year Plan.

The Maras Group plans to partner with Palace Nova for the Prospect cinema.

“Whilst we haven’t yet signed final lease agreements, yes, we’ve certainly got an in-principle agreement,” Mr Maras said.

Prospect Mayor David O’Loughlin said the Maras Group’s cinema plan complemented the council’s vision for the strip.

The community will be consulted on the new height limits later this year.

“What we are talking about is a drawcard for the strip."
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#618 Post by Wayno » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:18 am

THE Maras Group will lodge plans for a cinema on Prospect Rd as soon as the street’s new height limits are approved
This is excellent and clearly shows how the 30 year plan will spur activity. I bet the Maras group and other developers are already eyeing other prospective sites for development. Bring it on!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#619 Post by Mants » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Wayno wrote:
THE Maras Group will lodge plans for a cinema on Prospect Rd as soon as the street’s new height limits are approved
This is excellent and clearly shows how the 30 year plan will spur activity. I bet the Maras group and other developers are already eyeing other prospective sites for development. Bring it on!
is there demand for a cinema on Prospect Rd, being so close to Piccadilly and Arndale?

edit: didn't see the part about the Palace Nova involvement. An art house cinema would probably do well in this area on second thoughts.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#620 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Mants wrote:
Wayno wrote:
is there demand for a cinema on Prospect Rd, being so close to Piccadilly and Arndale?

edit: didn't see the part about the Palace Nova involvement. An art house cinema would probably do well in this area on second thoughts.
I think Picadilly will be next to go on Wallis hit list after Glenelg and Chelsea. They just don't want to spend the money to upgrade them to a modern standard.

[Shuz]

#621 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:37 pm

I will boycott all Wallis Cinemas if they dare demolish Piccadilly.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#622 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:15 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I will boycott all Wallis Cinemas if they dare demolish Piccadilly.
+1

Losing Chelsea would be another disappointing move.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#623 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Anyone know what's being built here on Fullarton Rd?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Pasadena Shopping Centre Redevelopment - Multiplex

#624 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Drove past this yesterday - almost done, at least viewing from the outside:

nearmap image dated Oct 17. since this date the dirt area has been bitumised and car parking lines painted.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#625 Post by Vee » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Check this, Wayno.
An office block (2 levels), carpark (2 levels) and residential (workers?) component to top floor.
See
http://www.burnside.sa.gov.au/webdata/r ... ton_rd.pdf

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#626 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:12 pm

Vee wrote:Check this, Wayno.
An office block (2 levels), carpark (2 levels) and residential (workers?) component to top floor.
See
http://www.burnside.sa.gov.au/webdata/r ... ton_rd.pdf
thank Vee, it looks nice enough but sure could do with an extra 3-5 levels...

Vee
Legendary Member!

#627 Post by Vee » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:26 pm

It's back in the news!

Looks like the "temporary closure" of Barton Terrace to prevent vehicle access to North Adelaide for western suburbs residents (or vice versa) is about to be revisited in State Parliament as Michael Atkinson raises the prospects of reversing this decision.

The road was closed to traffic in 1987 (buses exempted) and this has added considerably to travel times for affected residents.
Calls to open Barton Tce
Weekly Times Messenger (2 Nov, 2011)

MORE than 2600 people have called for the “temporary” closure of Barton Tce, which connects the western suburbs with North Adelaide, to be reversed following two decades of complaints.

Croydon MP Michael Atkinson surveyed residents in his electorate over the past six weeks and said only 28 people had responded that they were against re-opening the road, which connects War Memorial Drive with northwestern North Adelaide.

Croydon Park resident Tori Nicholls, 60, said residents were “fed up” with taking the long route to North Adelaide.
The road was closed on a “temporary” basis by Adelaide City Council in 1987 and has been open only to buses for the past 13 years.

Under a Private Members Bill, to be introduced by Mr Atkinson next week, the road would re-open.

The City Council would have to get Charles Sturt to agree to any future attempts to close the road.

The Weekly Times Messenger previously reported several obstetricians and paediatricians from Calvary Hospital supported the bid to re-open Barton Tce, saying patients’ lives were put at risk by the extra travel time.

They estimated the closure of the road added up to 15 minutes to the journey.

Residents of Inner North West Adelaide member Rina Russo, of Ridleyton, said: “I want to see the road opened but it will create a lot of division and we need to work to get the best solution.”

North Adelaide Society chairman Ed Briedis said the survey was not an accurate representation of all residents affected. He said many residents were concerned opening the road would cause a rise in traffic congestion.

Charles Sturt mayor Kirsten Alexander said the council would need to see a detailed report before forming a position on the issue.
http://weekly-times-messenger.whereiliv ... arton-tce/

Nathan

#628 Post by Nathan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Why is the member for Croydon surveying residents of Charles Sturt council about a minor road in Adelaide City Council? Whatever his ridiculous reasoning (does driving 500m further along Park Tce to get to Jeffcott St really take 15 minutes?), surely it's completely up to Adelaide City Council what they do with their own minor roads?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#629 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:58 pm

I am no fan of Atkinson. But as a resident of the inner-west now, I gladly signed that petition to reopen Barton Terrace because it's ridiculous it was closed in the first place.

It's just another example of some North Adelaide residents acting like they live in a private quint village and not in a busy inner-city thoroughfare. With so much development happening in Bowden/Brompton these days, there is now even more reasons to open this road up.

[Shuz]

#630 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:17 pm

crawf wrote:I am no fan of Atkinson. But as a resident of the inner-west now, I gladly signed that petition to reopen Barton Terrace because it's ridiculous it was closed in the first place.

It's just another example of some North Adelaide residents acting like they live in a private quint village and not in a busy inner-city thoroughfare. With so much development happening in Bowden/Brompton these days, there is now even more reasons to open this road up.
+1 What he said.

(Is a little worried that I just agreed with Crawf on something) :P