News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: New Development in Park Holme!

#61 Post by Pikey » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:33 am

My wife and I were lucky enough to get the last block of land in the final stage of the Avenues development in Mitchell Park 3 years ago, and we couldn't be happier. The area has certainly changed, and the values for the suburb are huge (5 homes in the last 3 months have sold for over $500k - which would have been unthinkable for Mitchell Park 5 years ago). I love the location, I can walk to Marion, 5 minute drive to Seacliff & Brighton and it takes me 15-20mins to get to the centre of the city each day.

I've got a DA in at the Marion council at the moment, and speaking to the planning department, there is a hell of a lot of activity yet to come in Mitchell Park, to quote him "hasn't even begun to change yet." He also mentioned areas like Park Holme, Warradale, Ascot Park and Clovelly Park are all about to undergo massive transformations too.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

urban
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by urban » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Hope you're doing something interesting pikey

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 am

Pikey wrote: I've got a DA in at the Marion council at the moment, and speaking to the planning department, there is a hell of a lot of activity yet to come in Mitchell Park, to quote him "hasn't even begun to change yet." He also mentioned areas like Park Holme, Warradale, Ascot Park and Clovelly Park are all about to undergo massive transformations too.
Wow good news for marion there...

Could it be possible to find out what they have in store for the area?? or is it hush hush??

At the moment its all, knock this down, knock that down.... but im wondering what will become of all this in the end????

I mean were getting atm...
1. Marion shopping centre extension.
2. State Swimming Centre.
3. Oaklands Interchange.
4. Green Village apartment complex at Plympton.

I mean as apartment complexes are being built further out of holdfast shore area, my guess will be that they will eventually move into Marion.
As a lot of marion dwellers usually live in small dwellings, im sure they wont mind this.

Hope you can keep us informed pikey.....good stuff there

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Former GMH at Woodville demolished for Bulky Goods?

#64 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:55 am

Anyone know anything about the recent demolition of the former GMH factory at Woodville? Charles Sturt Council has had a Ministerial PAR to rezone part of the site for Bulky Goods. If I were, say, Le Cornu's, I'd be very interested - the land at Keswick must be more valuable as a residential subdivision.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Former GMH at Woodville demolished for Bulky Goods?

#65 Post by rogue » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:03 am

stumpjumper wrote:Anyone know anything about the recent demolition of the former GMH factory at Woodville? Charles Sturt Council has had a Ministerial PAR to rezone part of the site for Bulky Goods. If I were, say, Le Cornu's, I'd be very interested - the land at Keswick must be more valuable as a residential subdivision.
Stumpy,

Bunnings are building a whopping new warehouse there. It will be the biggest in SA. Not sure what else is going in there...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#66 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:44 am

Great, another Bunnings store. Don't SA have enough of them gigantic green footprints all over the city?

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#67 Post by bmw boy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:28 am

huh.... where is bunnings building a new warehouse? keswick? why?

I agree with stumpjumper... all those warehouses need to go, such as Le cornu's and Inghams... their buildings are disgusting!!!!!!!...

i'd love to see lowrise appartments there .... being so close to the airport, the area would affected by height restrictions??

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Howie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:12 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Anyone know anything about the recent demolition of the former GMH factory at Woodville? Charles Sturt Council has had a Ministerial PAR to rezone part of the site for Bulky Goods. If I were, say, Le Cornu's, I'd be very interested - the land at Keswick must be more valuable as a residential subdivision.
Drove by the site on the weekend, and it is just an awesome sight to see the former GMH factory being taken to pieces by a small army of workers. If you like demolitions then I highly recommend you check this place out over the next week.. just looked like a massive junk yard as far as the eye can see.

:D

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:33 pm

It's the market in action. If you don't want a Bunnings there, stop shopping at Bunnings outlets, then tell every real estate agent you can find that you'd love to buy a medium density dwelling on the GMH site. Then, theoretically...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#70 Post by rev » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:37 am

Interesting. Theres a bunnings a bit further down the road(port road). Guess it will shut/move to the new site.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by stumpjumper » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:28 am

True. Bunnings bought Lloyds at Allenby Gardens some years ago. So there may be a good bit of land released for housing or whatever.

btw, isn't Bunnings owned by Wesfarmers, ie Wesfarmers/Coles?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#72 Post by pushbutton » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:50 pm

Yes Bunnings is owned by Wesfarmers/Coles group. Yes there is a small format Bunnings further down Port Road but that will be closing once the new Bunnings warehouse opens on the site of the old SA Manufacuring Park.

I'm not sure but I would imagine there will be room for a few other buildings so it's probably very likely the site will become a kind of bulky goods retail park, and there may well be several stores besides bunnings.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by Howie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:17 pm

The end of an era
Chantelle Kroehn
11Jul07

THE Port Rd landscape has changed dramatically with the razing of the old GMH buildings at Woodville.
About 4000 tonnes of concrete and masonry and more than 2700 tonnes of steel are being shifted off site one of the largest demolitions in metropolitan Adelaide in recent years.
It paves the way for a $30 million Bunnings hardware outlet, which will form part of the new Charles Sturt Industrial Estate.
Construction company McMahon Services started the demolition work on March 1 and is expected to complete it by the end of the month.
McMahon's demolition state manager Chris Latham said before the buildings could be razed nearly 40,000sqm of asbestos cement roof sheeting and more than 20 cubic metres of other asbestos products had to be removed.
The buildings which have been knocked over were built in the 1950s and included an old tool room and pattern shop.
Holden's association with the Woodville site dates back to 1923 when Holden Motor Builders bought 23 acres of land to establish a manufacturing plant which opened the next year.
General Motors Corporation bought the company in 1930 which was renamed General Motors Holden (GMH) and gradually expanded the site to more than triple its original size.
The majority of work for the first all-Australian car was done at the Woodville plant, including producing the car body.
From 1958, GMH progressively shifted the plant's operations to its new Elizabeth site, before stopping production at the Woodville plant in 1962.
Industry Superannuation Property Trust (ISPT) bought the site for $35 million in 2001 and has gradually transformed it into manufacturing, light industry and construction precinct, with tenants including ai Automotive and Boral Timber.
Mr Latham said such a large project presented the company with several challenges, especially with the high voltage power lines on Port Rd and Cheltenham Pde. ``These power lines had to be de-energised so that the works could be safely completed,'' he said.
A PC 800 Komatsu excavator was used to demolish the buildings and modifications, including a steel shear fitted to it, made the machine one of the biggest of its type in Australia.
Mr Latham said most of the concrete and masonry would be turned into quarry rubble products and the steel would either be salvaged or turned into new steel products.
Most of the old Holden buildings have now been demolished but there are still some scattered on the site.
ISPT chief executive Daryl Browning said nearly 2000 people would be employed at the Bunnings complex and construction was expected to be completed by mid-2008.
It will cover more than 1400sqm and include an undercover warehouse, plant nursery, timber and trade centre, and more than 400 car park spaces.
Attachments
GMHG-99325.JPG
GMHG-99325.JPG (23.45 KiB) Viewed 9644 times

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

Lyell McEwin Hospital Boost

#74 Post by aussie2000 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:18 pm

From Adelaide Now
$200m hospital boost
July 17, 2007 12:30pm

THE Lyell McEwin Hospital is to receive more than $200 million in extra funding, almost doubling the number of beds and turning it into a major hub for the north.

The entire facility would be rebuilt as a modern, tertiary hospital to provide more complex services for an expanding community in the north, Health Minister John Hill said today as he toured the site.

The extra funding is on top of the $133.5 million already being spent on the hospital.

"Through South Australia's Health Care Plan, our $2.2billion blueprint for our health system, we are redeveloping Lyell McEwin as a major hub for the north, Flinders Medical Centre as the medical hub of the south with a $153.5 million investment, and building the $1.7 billion state-of-the-art Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital to replace the ageing Royal Adelaide Hospital," Mr Hill said.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

We should have some good hospitals in a few years lol

Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Lyell McEwin Hospital Boost

#75 Post by Cruise » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:22 pm

Although these hospitals sound great now buy the time there built is there going to be enough beds then?