News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Infill Developments | Metropolitian Adelaide

#736 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm

there is also a good video on the link at AdelaideNow

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/high-dens ... 6529575244
High-density planning overhaul for Adelaide's blue-chip inner suburbs

by:
Political Reporter Daniel Wills

adelaidenow

December 04, 2012

MAIN roads facing Adelaide's parklands and thoroughfares in Prospect, Henley Beach and the inner south west are to have maximum building heights increased to 10 storeys.

Planning Minister John Rau has today announced the latest phase of development reforms, which come on the back of a major overhaul of the CBD and protection for the Barossa and McLaren Vale.

Today's changes have the backing of Prospect, West Torrens, Unley and Norwood, Payneham and St Peters councils while Burnside is refusing to co-operate.
The councils backing the changes will undertake their own three-month consultation and can make changes.

Mr Rau will take charge of the changes in Burnside and can deliver them unilaterally.

The increased heights have been targeted to key areas away from "character zones".

In Norwood, development of up to seven storeys would be permitted on The Parade.

On main roads in Prospect, development up to eight storeys would be allowed.

Along Anzac Hwy, there could be building up to eight storeys and developments up to 10 storeys could be constructed on some roads ringing the parklands, including Greenhill Rd.
The changes follow directions in the 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide, which aims to target population growth to major transport routes. Adelaide is expected to have an extra 540,000 inhabitants by 2040.

Mr Rau said the changes were "very important for the future of Adelaide".

"The city of Adelaide has got plenty of room to grow," he said. "This will give thousands and thousands of people the opportunity to live within walking distance, really, for the city and all it has to offer.

"I do not see the long-term future of Adelaide as being a greenfields (fringe) growth city.

"Increasingly, Adelaide is going to have to be an urban infill proposition.

"What we are seeing today is the first, very constructive step along that path.

"Eventually, when the true cost of uncontrolled greenfield development is felt by the taxpayer or the owner of the property, they will recognise that is not a sensible or economic way of ... planning their city."

Development is not expected to take off in force until the global economy returns to strength.

However, there has been a flood of applications for CBD developments since changes there.

Many developers are struggling to find financing and demand for large residential developments.

The State Government has attempted to drive CBD development with stamp duty cuts.

It is also seeking to reform liquor licensing to create more cultural attractions.

Property Council of Australia SA executive director Nathan Paine said the inner metro rim strategy was "a critical step in delivering a vibrant Adelaide".

"When these areas gain traction as high-density housing, Adelaide will enjoy a more active city as a nearby population chooses to walk or ride to work, and use the city as their back yard," he said.

"It's testament to how we fundamentally share the same ambitions for our city vibrancy, sustainability, intensity and beauty.

"We now look forward to an effective and productive period of community consultation to ensure future development in the inner rim zone optimises the potential in these magnificent areas."

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitian Developments

#737 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks Wayno & marquisite - I've been watching it go up over the last few months on my bus ride to and from home every day and have forever remained puzzled as to what it was! For a pumping station, it actually looks pretty darn good, then.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#738 Post by Vee » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Disappointing to see Burnside Council's negativity towards this plan for higher residential densities along main transport routes.
Out of touch.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6522626023

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#739 Post by rev » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:36 pm

I don't think it really matters does it? The article says that the minister basically over rides the council and implements the plan anyway or am I misreading it?

claybro

Re: Infill Developments | Metropolitan Adelaide

#740 Post by claybro » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:50 pm

I would be happy to live in an appartment in an inner suburbs area or the CBD it'self, but as a single dad with 2 teenage kids, most 3 bedroom, 2 living room dwellings (essential with teenagers) are up around the million dollar mark. All very well for these proposals, but unless there is a way of making a family residence in an apartment complex more in line with the cost of a suburban home say around $500,000 I really think they will struggle to get a good mix of residents in the inner city. Imagine how more vibrant if families with teens and kids could also be adjacent to the parklands and the city and it's attractions, at the moment it seems all students and empty nesters.

claybro

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#741 Post by claybro » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks also, I have wondered about this for a while. They have done a good job here, but as they should given it's location.

Nort

#742 Post by Nort » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:04 pm

claybro wrote:I would be happy to live in an appartment in an inner suburbs area or the CBD it'self, but as a single dad with 2 teenage kids, most 3 bedroom, 2 living room dwellings (essential with teenagers) are up around the million dollar mark. All very well for these proposals, but unless there is a way of making a family residence in an apartment complex more in line with the cost of a suburban home say around $500,000 I really think they will struggle to get a good mix of residents in the inner city. Imagine how more vibrant if families with teens and kids could also be adjacent to the parklands and the city and it's attractions, at the moment it seems all students and empty nesters.
You need a LOT of construction to make that happen, because the space for a decent sized family home could make a couple of decent sized one bedroom places so they are always going to be more expensive.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#743 Post by AG » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:52 am

That new pump station is part of the interconnector works associated with the new desalination plant to bring water up to the Hope Valley Reservoir.

rhino

#744 Post by rhino » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 am

Will wrote:There was a thread for this particualr development, however I have no idea what happened to it.

So, I assume this is the most logical site for this article.
Holdfast Bay Council approves first stage of Minda's $200m village at Brighton

Giuseppe Tauriello

November 30, 201212:00AM

Minda's $200m master plan development at Brighton - artist impression

THE first stages of Minda's $200 million village at Brighton have been given the green light.

The Holdfast Bay Council has approved the initial stages of the proposed 10-year master plan, which would ultimately see 288 retirement apartments in buildings ranging from three to nine storeys, and 33 houses and three apartment blocks built for Minda residents.

The 28ha site will include a wetland area, amphitheatre, community garden, coastal nursery, pedestrian friendly paths and integration with the coast park.

Minda chief executive Cathy Miller said plans had been updated following an exhaustive community consultation campaign. She said the project would set a new benchmark for disability-focused accommodation.

"This is one of the largest developments of its type in South Australia and we have taken an environmentally-responsible approach to our planning, which will include preserving the undeveloped secondary dunes and creating a wetland area which will attract wildlife and capture stormwater run-off," she said.

Ms Miller said the new accommodation would replace the existing "institutional-based" facility at the Brighton site which was "well past its use-by-date".

"We want to create a place where people with a disability have the opportunity to thrive in their local environments," she said.

The first stage of the project will see two three-storey retirement apartment blocks built at the north-western corner of the site on the corner of Repton Rd and The Esplanade.

Revenue generated from the retirement buildings will fund the subsequent stage, which will comprise eight single-storey group dwellings, two single-storey residential flat buildings and a three-storey residential flat building comprising 17 apartments to support existing Minda residents.

Construction is set to commence early next year and will take about 15 months to complete.
Is this place going to be called "Minda Village"? Sounds like a nice place to live.
cheers,
Rhino

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#745 Post by SRW » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Ah, that makes sense now! Thanks marquisite.
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#746 Post by claybro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Nort wrote:
You need a LOT of construction to make that happen, because the space for a decent sized family home could make a couple of decent sized one bedroom places so they are always going to be more expensive.
The only problem is Nort, there are already too many 1 and 2 bedroom places on the market and these are not selling quickly. If the idea for condensed urban developement is to stop suburban sprawl, they must find a way of making it attractive/affordable to small families like mine.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#747 Post by AG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:31 am

Video in relation to the Inner Metro Growth Plan:

There are videos for other council areas here: http://www.youtube.com/user/DTEISouthAust?feature=watch

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#748 Post by Eurostar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Red Rooster has closed down in Salisbury, the site is being taken over by Sunrise Bakery

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#749 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Eurostar wrote:Red Rooster has closed down in Salisbury, the site is being taken over by Sunrise Bakery
Quite a few of them have closed down in recent times.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#750 Post by neoballmon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Yes, I can think of more closed stores (5) than open stores (3)..
I go past the Aberfoyle Park site daily and it's been fenced off for well over a year, and nothing seems to be happening there..
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!