News & Developments: Tonsley

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Mpol03
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Developments: Tonsley

#151 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:29 am

Looks fantastic based off of that render.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#152 Post by mattwinter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Plans for a 6 Level carpark to the North of the MAB are up on the planning comission website at the moment:

Starting to be a lot of cars parking around the area so will certainly be needed as the carparks get reduced and developed into housing / retail.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#153 Post by omada » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:11 am

Ahh what a modern "TOD style" development Tonsley promised to be - now we get the obligatory carpark. :applause: :applause:

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#154 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:42 pm

omada wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:11 am
Ahh what a modern "TOD style" development Tonsley promised to be - now we get the obligatory carpark. :applause: :applause:
Unfortunately car parking will be a feature of any large scale developement for the foreseeable future. All very well it is located adjacent to a train station, but until Adelaide is well connected with other train lines, and maybe cross metro services, these developments would never be viable without car parking.

SBD

#155 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm

omada wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:11 am
Isn't Park'n'RIde transit-oriented? Surely a 6-level car park is better than the same number of parking spaces at ground level.

What I don't see the point of is the expanse of open-air ground level parking drawn around it. If those extra spaces are needed, then make it 7 levels and build apartments, shops and offices on that land.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#156 Post by mattwinter » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:09 am

SBD wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm
Isn't Park'n'RIde transit-oriented? Surely a 6-level car park is better than the same number of parking spaces at ground level.
Yeah and as much as the train will make it easy for some people to get there, it's just acknowledgement of the reality that lots of workers and students won't live on the Tonsley line and be able to catch it south to the precinct... The ground level carparks are getting quite full already

SBD

#157 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:53 am

mattwinter wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:09 am
SBD wrote:
Yeah and as much as the train will make it easy for some people to get there, it's just acknowledgement of the reality that lots of workers and students won't live on the Tonsley line and be able to catch it south to the precinct... The ground level carparks are getting quite full already
I saw it the other way round. I see it as a car park for people who live in Aberfoyle Park/Flagstaff Hill and who might presently drive to the city or inner suburbs could drive to Tonsley and use the improved rail service instead. Something had indicated to me that Tonsley rather than Flinders would be the preferred station for that.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#158 Post by mattwinter » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:29 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:53 am
mattwinter wrote:
SBD wrote:
I saw it the other way round. I see it as a car park for people who live in Aberfoyle Park/Flagstaff Hill and who might presently drive to the city or inner suburbs could drive to Tonsley and use the improved rail service instead. Something had indicated to me that Tonsley rather than Flinders would be the preferred station for that.
Yeah I think it's a bit of both.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#159 Post by Eurostar » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am

mattwinter wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:14 am
Couple of updates:
- Call has been made for expression of interest for someone to develop the site they hope to place a supermarket and shops on:
https://m.realcommercial.com.au/propert ... -502862454

- Lady Burra (Topham Mall) will open a brew house at the old Tonsley boiler house which will be a key player for the area:
https://m.facebook.com/7NewsAdelaide/vi ... 534319525/
A new Westfield?

How about?:
Westfield Sigma or
Westfield Magna
Westfield Lancer
Westfield 380(spelled out with letters Three Eighty)
Westfield Diamond Gardens

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#160 Post by rev » Wed May 22, 2019 7:37 am

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 2eb5b0147f
Plans unveiled for $14m hotel at Tonsley

A new $14 million hotel proposed for Tonsley would provide accommodation for visiting professionals and new mothers.

Plans have been lodged with the state planning authority for a six-storey hotel on the corner of Tonsley Boulevard and MAB Circuit at the Tonsley Innovation District.

It would have 87 hotels rooms and 17 post-partum rooms, with nurses and midwives on hand to support new mums after they have given birth.

A gym and a cafe would also be built on the site.

The Tonsley precinct, on the site of the former Mitsibushi car factory, is now home to more than 30 cutting-edge research, technology and science start-ups, established businesses and institutions, including Flinders University’s School of Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics.

There are about 1400 people who work there as well as 6500 who study there each year.

According to the plans, the hotel would suit business people visiting Tonsley.

It would also provide a supportive environment for new mums.

“The post-partum suites will meet an emerging market in Australia for serviced spaces for the post-partum confinement period observed in a number of Asian cultures,” the plan said.

“The suites will provide space for new mothers to rest and care for their newborns in a well-serviced space and with visiting midwives.”

The Advertiser reported earlier this month that Renewal SA had sold the land to a developer to build a hotel.

Marion Mayor Kris Hanna said at the time Tonsley was going “from success to success”.

“Together with the expansion of the Marion Hotel this will be a huge boost to the local economy,” Mr Hanna said.

“That means more local jobs.”

Public consultation on the plans will continue until May 30.

Renewal SA has been contacted for comment.

PeFe

#161 Post by PeFe » Wed May 22, 2019 8:59 am

Not a big fan based on the current render, and I know its only out in suburbia, but cant we have something better than this lego-boxy-cheap shit?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#162 Post by crawf » Wed May 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Let me guess..........Quest?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#163 Post by Spotto » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:39 am

SBD wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:53 am
mattwinter wrote:
SBD wrote:
Can attest to that, Flagstaff Hill local here. I only go into town maybe one a month, but I always used to drive to Oaklands station. Since the crossing works, I've been going to Clovelly Park instead; much closer and I'm pretty much guaranteed a carpark. Late evening and weekend services can't come soon enough though!

PeFe

#164 Post by PeFe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Solar panels to be installed on the main buildings at Tonsley.
From One Step Off The Grid
ZEN Energy to install massive solar array to power S.A. tech hub
By Sophie Vorrath

Plans power South Australia’s Tonsley Innovation District with up to 6MW of solar have taken a major step forward this week, with ZEN Energy winning the contract to install a first-stage 2.3MW array.

ZEN, which – as a division of SIMEC Energy Australia – is a part of Sanjeev Gupta’s GFG Alliance, said on Wednesday it would soon start installing the more than 7,000-panel PV system, after signing up for the job.

The company, which formed out of an Adelaide outfit called Zen Industries, is itself headquartered at Tonsley – a former car manufacturing facility that has been converted into a cleantech and innovation hub that is home to some big names, including Tesla and Siemens.

Plans to power Tonsley with a massive rooftop solar array have been around since 2014, after the state government bought the ex-car plant in 2010.

Under the plans, Enwave Energy will subcontract ZEN Energy to install and maintain the system, while Siemens will provide smart network design services.

Full article : https://onestepoffthegrid.com.au/zen-en ... -district/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#165 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:08 pm

The residential component is really starting to grow now, and residents have moved in. Many of the finished dwellings look great, and are a great example of the new urban form taking place in the area.