News & Developments: Tonsley

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Mitsubishi Tonsley Site

#61 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 am

Former Tonsley Mitsubishi site gets first tenant
THE former Mitsubishi car plant site at Tonsley Park now has its first tenant. It is the prototype for a planned $100 million "green" data centre that its owners describe as being the "engine room of the internet".
Adelaide firm Tier 5 teamed with global IT company Dell to assemble Dell's latest modular data centre, the first in the world to go live, providing data storage and processing at half the energy use of traditional data centres.
It plans to take up 4500sq m, or about 3 per cent, of the former car assembly shed.
Dell Australia and New Zealand managing director Joe Kremer said the $53 billion company had worked with Tier 5 for two years to design the Adelaide centre expected to save $8 million in power costs each year, using gas-fired electricity generators and natural air flow to keep racks of servers cool.
Waste heat from the data centre's cogeneration plant also could be used to benefit other future tenants of the site, including the State Government's new $125 million "green" trade training hub announced for the site in September.
"Australia is one of our top 10 global destinations and Tier 5 is the right partner to launch with," Mr Kremer said about Dell's data centre ambitions and its relationships with the eight-employee Adelaide company.
Tier 5 founder Marty Gauvin said the planned 8 megawatt data centre would be Australia's 10th largest, with initial customers expected to be mainly resellers of capacity and companies needing to do their own IT processing.
Tier 5's data centre model would be "regionally competitive" but could also prove a competitor to Sydney-based data centres, which house IT processing for Australia's biggest corporations.
Mr Gauvin expected the centre to gain Tier 3 accreditation, giving it reliability for mission-critical systems such as those required by banks.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5950323162

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm

That's a pretty good coup for Adelaide :)

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by Aidan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:06 pm

There's an open day and sausage sizzle on Saturday (11th December 2010) from 11 to 3. Enter via Alawoona Avenue.

See http://tonsleypark.southaustralia.biz/ for more info.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Tonsley Park Open Day : 10 July 2011

http://tonsleypark.southaustralia.biz/article/view/11
Find out more about plans to redevelop the Tonsley Park site into an attractive, vibrant and integrated centre for industry, education and the community.

Please join us at our Open Day, where you may:
  • * Learn more about how community input so far has influenced how we are creating a distinctive and desirable hub of activity, with an industry focus on sustainable technologies, environmental industries and advanced manufacturing.
    * Meet the project team, including the Woods Bagot-led design consortium and share your ideas about what would draw you to the heart of this site.
    * Discover how you can continue to contribute your views throughout the planning process.
Time: Drop in anytime between 11am and 3pm.

Venue: On the former Mitsubishi site, Tonsley Park. Enter off Alawoona Avenue, off Marion Road or via the Main entrance, off South Road (see the image below for more details).

A Shuttle bus will operate from Alawoona Avenue to Open Day Venue.

Plus, enjoy a free sausage sizzle and activities for the kids!
tonsley-open-day.jpg
tonsley-open-day.jpg (157.25 KiB) Viewed 7024 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:50 pm

I went to the open day yesterday and must say it was a little underwhelming and uninspiring what they are proposing with this site. It really is not very forward thinking in its present form.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#66 Post by Aidan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Ben wrote:I went to the open day yesterday and must say it was a little underwhelming and uninspiring what they are proposing with this site. It really is not very forward thinking in its present form.
At their December open day I criticised their lack of a road on the northern boundary. Have they fixed that flaw yet?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#67 Post by Wayno » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Ben wrote:I went to the open day yesterday and must say it was a little underwhelming and uninspiring what they are proposing with this site. It really is not very forward thinking in its present form.
I interpret this whole thing as a simple land & infrastructure arbitrage (merging 3 TAFEs), not much more, at least in the short term.

Ben, are they still planning for residential accommodation? There was talk of 2-3 level townhouses, apartments & student accomm.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:46 pm

Wayno wrote:
I interpret this whole thing as a simple land & infrastructure arbitrage (merging 3 TAFEs), not much more, at least in the short term.

Ben, are they still planning for residential accommodation? There was talk of 2-3 level townhouses, apartments & student accomm.
Yes there is a small area designated for residential and does look very low rise unfortunatly. I saw a number of "comments" on the board about "No apartment buildings" etc I made sure I made my voice heard haha

I think a few 5 - 8 level apartment buildings around a town square type village area could be great. We won't get many opportunities to develop land of this size in the metro area and if the governement are serious about stopping sprall they need to think up and do it sooner rather than later.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by AG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Ben wrote:
Wayno wrote:

Yes there is a small area designated for residential and does look very low rise unfortunatly. I saw a number of "comments" on the board about "No apartment buildings" etc I made sure I made my voice heard haha

I think a few 5 - 8 level apartment buildings around a town square type village area could be great. We won't get many opportunities to develop land of this size in the metro area and if the governement are serious about stopping sprall they need to think up and do it sooner rather than later.
It's also right next door to Clovelly Park Station, which makes for a great opportunity to incorporate the station into the redevelopment as a form of TOD and upgrade it in the process. Unfortunately, I think that aspect has been overlooked in the planning.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by Pikey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Not sure how many questions you asked Ben, but I spent an hour there as a nearby resident, and I came out with a very different opinion.

I am really impressed with what was spoken about to be honest, and in the "high value" residential area, there will be accommodation ranging from 2 level townhouses up to 8 level apartments, with six star energy efficiency, I spoke to the head Architect from Woods Bagot and they have been given free reign to design "very modern" towers. There will also be 6 level student accommodation near the Alawoona Avenue entrance. Plus the open parks, walking trails, bike paths, community centres and retail amenities makes it an exciting proposition. Also the rail line will be double tracks, opened up to trams and trains, the line extended up to Flinders Uni and have a pick up frequency of every 7 minutes.

I'm excited.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by fabricator » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:35 pm

If what Pikey says come true it will be perfect.

Pretty sure the funding for the tram to Flinders isn't done, as it was lumped into a larger road project.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by fishinajar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:34 pm

fabricator wrote:If what Pikey says come true it will be perfect.

Pretty sure the funding for the tram to Flinders isn't done, as it was lumped into a larger road project.
So long as the option is left open it will get done eventually. I wouldn't panic unless they leave no or insufficient easement.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by Wayno » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:49 am

Extract from the latest Tonsley Park email flyer...
Have Your Say

More than 700 people attended the Tonsley Park Redevelopment Open Day on Sunday, 10 July 2011.

Information, diagrams and artist impression images showed how plans had progressed for the redevelopment of the site into a sustainable technologies precinct.

Until 8 August 2011, you can still learn about the project and have your say:
  • * View the information on the website and submit your feedback online, by email or post
    * Visit the staffed display in Castle Plaza Shopping Centre, opposite the newsagency, on Thursday, 28 July, 2011, between 3.30pm and 7.30pm.
Feedback on key concepts will help to ensure the site attracts industry investment but also provides new facilities for the whole community to enjoy.

What's Proposed

Detailed information about how the project is evolving covers:
  • * green spaces for recreation and relaxation
    * moving around (getting to Tonsley Park and moving around within the site)
    * meeting places
    * learning new skills
    * working in sustainable industries
    * places to live
    * managing the impacts of industry
    * Main Assembly Plant re-use.
View the timeline of Tonsley Park from 1964 to 2011, with great images of the old Mitsubishi plant and what it could look like in the future.

Find out what's proposed to be located where by using the interactive map which shows areas for industry, education, recreation and living, along with cycling paths and walkways.

Tonsley Park Info Line - 1300 321 208 ([email protected])

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#74 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:36 pm

From The Messenger:
Tonsley Park's five storey future

19 Oct 11 @ 06:06am by Kane McKay

MORE than 20 apartment buildings have been earmarked for the redevelopment of the former Mitsubishi site, in Tonsley Park.

State Government plans for the 62ha site on Main South Rd include 23 apartment blocks, ranging from three to five storeys.

The plans, lodged with the Parliamentary Public Works Committee, have been welcomed by Marion Council, which has been lobbying for student accommodation.

The council hopes the plans will include provision for local university students.

Mayor Felicity-ann Lewis said there was a lack of student housing in the area.

“Units in Mitchell Park have been bought by families from Indonesia. Once they finish their education (at Flinders), they sell it on to another Indonesian family,” Ms Lewis said.

“It’s been obvious for a while the demand is there.”

A spokesman for Flinders University said the university was keen to see student housing incorporated into the development.

African Students Association president Stephen Tongun said off-campus housing was in high demand, especially for inter- national students.

“The number of students at Flinders is increasing, so it’s always good to have more accommodation,” he said.

The former Mitsubishi site was bought by the State Government for $32.5 million in 2009.

The Guardian Messenger reported in February the land would be transformed into a mixed-use precinct, including a sustainable industries hub and possibly housing, cafes and shops.

The latest plans for the redevelopment include a $90.6 million Sustainable Industries Education Centre (SIEC), shops and a 6656sqm town square.

Department of Trade and Economic Development chief executive Lance Worrall refused to answer questions on the number of apartments or if they would be used for Flinders students. He said information would be available by the end of the year.

Liberal MP Martin Hamilton-Smith said the Government had back-flipped on its plans: “It’s looking more like a property development and money-making activity than a hi-tech industrial jobs opportunity.”

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 pm

from ABC online:
The South Australian Government has now released a master plan for the Tonsley Park site in Adelaide's south, vacated by car maker Mitsubishi.

http://tonsleypark.southaustralia.biz/the_master_plan

fly through

It says the old assembly plant will become a town centre with retail outlets and there are plans for 1,500 new residents for the area within two decades.

Premier Jay Weatherill says the site will have wetlands to capture water for reuse.

The Government says a plan to create 6,300 jobs over two decades through $1 billion of private investment has been independently assessed.

The Premier says the site will become home to TAFE facilities and advanced manufacturing.

The Opposition questioned last year whether TAFE had been given the prime part of a site which the Government had pledged would continue to be used for manufacturing.