News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#781 Post by crawf » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 am

Abwolf wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:01 pm

The corner is rumoured to be a multi-storey building with shops on the ground floor and offices or apartments above, I'd suggest of similar height to the newish building next to Odeon.
How tall is that?

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#782 Post by Abwolf » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:28 am

Those are three levels (Semaphore Splash Apartments)

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#783 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:49 am

Work is progressing at Pirate Life...

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#784 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:48 pm

:wallbash: :wallbash:

Got a letter the People's Choice Credit Union is permanently closing from 11 January 2019 in Port Adelaide.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#785 Post by omada » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 am

Got a letter the People's Choice Credit Union is permanently closing from 11 January 2019 in Port Adelaide.

Internet banking?

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#786 Post by claybro » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:57 pm

omada wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 am

Internet banking?
Don't Bendigo bank still have a branch in the Port?-Change to them. Pretty poor of Peoples Choice if you ask me. Promote themselves as local and accessible, then close a branch in what is surely a fairly busy location and about to become busier.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#787 Post by rev » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Port Adelaide housing development Dock One given planning approval
Daniel Wills, state political editor, The Advertiser
23 minutes ago
Subscriber only

Earthworks for $168m first part of Dock One begin
Plans for Dock One revealed

A major housing development on Port Adelaide’s landmark Dock One site has won planning approval, as the region readies for an expected boom driven by the $90 billion Defence shipbuilding program.

The State Commission Assessment Panel has given the green light to the first phase of the Dock One development, which features more than 100 homes split across three sites.

It is part of a larger Dock One overhaul, led by Starfish Developments, which is ultimately expected to feature 750 homes in townhouses and apartments along with public spaces including a waterside piazza and boardwalk.

The centrepiece of the larger rejuvenation is to be a revamp of the historic Port Harbour Building into a “collective” occupied by artisan food producers and providores as well as “hi-tech working spaces” offered to local businesses.

Starfish Developments managing director Damon Nagel said there had already been 2000 expressions of interest to buy into the site.

“The surprising thing for us is that we’ve seen probably about 65 per cent of those inquiring are owner-occupiers and, traditionally, you’d expect to see the reverse and a much higher rate of inquires on the investment side,” he said.

“For people that are looking, the thing they are talking about is the lifestyle that’s happening down at the Port. It’s the bars and restaurants.”

Mr Nagel said he expected the ship and submarine program to deliver an unprecedented demand, drawing more people and investment to the Port over three decades.

“It’s not just a one-off thing for a few years, it’s going to be a couple of generations,” he said.

Stage one will feature affordable apartments through to three-bedroom townhouses on the park and waterside.

Earthworks in preparation for the Dock One development have been completed, and the entire project is expected to roll out in four stages.

Slabs for the approved townhouses are expected to be laid in May, with residents able to move in from early 2020.

Renewal SA, the State Government agency that oversees public land sales and developments, says more than $280 million in private investments are in the pipeline and are set to deliver about 1150 new homes for up to 2600 extra residents.

Cedar Woods is working on separate developments in the North West and Fletcher’s Slip precincts of the Port.

Acting Planning Minister David Speirs said there was renewed private sector confidence in the future of the Port, after previous false starts in long-expected developments.

“It’s encouraging to see the significant amount of private sector development that’s occurring in Port Adelaide,” he told The Advertiser.

“This will be very important to support the thousands of jobs that will be created out at Port Adelaide over the life of the Coalition Government’s $90 billion investment in naval ship building.

“These developments will breathe more life into the Port and provide many of the houses, shops and recreation and community spaces for everyone to enjoy.”

Stage two could include floating homes and a bar on the Port River, as proponents work through the complexities of supplying essential services to properties on the water.

Work has begun at Osborne on two offshore patrol vessels, ahead of a ramp-up for future frigates and submarines.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 7dcb4acd9f

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#788 Post by baytram366 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:34 pm

I'm all for this development as its basically just building on already vacant land but why is everything 2 - 3 levels only? Wouldn't a mix of shorter and taller apartments have been a better use of the space or are they hoping to not have a repeat of the slums that Newport has ended up being across the river?
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#789 Post by Mpol03 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Slums? Really?

Sure, Jan

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#790 Post by Norman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:35 pm

baytram366 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:34 pm
I'm all for this development as its basically just building on already vacant land but why is everything 2 - 3 levels only? Wouldn't a mix of shorter and taller apartments have been a better use of the space or are they hoping to not have a repeat of the slums that Newport has ended up being across the river?
I think so. Port Adelaide is not suited for wall-to-wall high-rise towers, I think this concept is a good compromise delivering a new, denser urban form to the port, replacing vacant, derelict land, and the sales requirements are not as unrealistic as they would be with just apartments. The new residents will make the centre of Port Adelaide more lively and more attractive to new residents, which will then allow more medium rise apartment buildings down the track. This also means that the heritage components of the port are not overshadowed.

I am also happy with the design of the buildings, the finishes and designs reflect the heritage of the port and also add a bit of variety to the waterfront.

rev

#791 Post by rev » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:35 pm
baytram366 wrote:
I think so. Port Adelaide is not suited for wall-to-wall high-rise towers, I think this concept is a good compromise delivering a new, denser urban form to the port, replacing vacant, derelict land, and the sales requirements are not as unrealistic as they would be with just apartments. The new residents will make the centre of Port Adelaide more lively and more attractive to new residents, which will then allow more medium rise apartment buildings down the track. This also means that the heritage components of the port are not overshadowed.

I am also happy with the design of the buildings, the finishes and designs reflect the heritage of the port and also add a bit of variety to the waterfront.
Why is it not suited to high rise apartments? On and around the water front on an inner harbor is perfect for it, especially being close to the beach, a drive up one main road into the CBD or a train ride into the CBD.

I hope people aren't taking the failure of the marketing for New Port as a guide.

Overall imo for any development of the area that isn't an industrial development to succeed, the dirty industry near by needs to be moved out of the area.
The whole area in general needs to be spruced up. You can't just plop down a couple "high rise" apartment buildings out there and expect people will flock to the area as they did with New Port. They didn't even upgrade the train station next to the development.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#792 Post by Norman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:56 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:13 pm
Norman wrote:
baytram366 wrote:

Why is it not suited to high rise apartments? On and around the water front on an inner harbor is perfect for it, especially being close to the beach, a drive up one main road into the CBD or a train ride into the CBD.

I hope people aren't taking the failure of the marketing for New Port as a guide.

Overall imo for any development of the area that isn't an industrial development to succeed, the dirty industry near by needs to be moved out of the area.
The whole area in general needs to be spruced up. You can't just plop down a couple "high rise" apartment buildings out there and expect people will flock to the area as they did with New Port. They didn't even upgrade the train station next to the development.
If we have a relatively low number of apartments being built in the CBD and Glenelg, then there is little chance of any being built in Port Adelaide, at least for the foreseeable future.

These two development companies know the market. If there was a market for taller buildings, they would build them. But at least with a lower scale project like this, something is actually getting built.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#793 Post by Mpol03 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Develop the area and build up the land value now so that in ten to fifteen years when there is more demand, the more exciting projects kick off.

rev

#794 Post by rev » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:12 am

Norman wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:56 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:13 pm
Norman wrote:

If we have a relatively low number of apartments being built in the CBD and Glenelg, then there is little chance of any being built in Port Adelaide, at least for the foreseeable future.

These two development companies know the market. If there was a market for taller buildings, they would build them. But at least with a lower scale project like this, something is actually getting built.
What Adelaide can use less of is that mentality of something is better then nothing.

rev

#795 Post by rev » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:19 pm

$1.5 million facelift for Port Adelaide’s old Globe Hotel
Caleb Bond, Portside Weekly Messenger
December 18, 2018 11:49am
Subscriber only

Plans for a $1.5 million revamp of one of Port Adelaide’s best know landmarks — the former Globe Hotel — have been released by the developers for the first time.

The Ginos Group — which owns properties on city bar strips Peel and Leigh streets — exclusively told Messenger Community News it planned to begin work on revamping the abandoned St Vincent St pub early in the new year and have it open by next spring.

The refurbished hotel would include a large front bar, beer garden and dining room on the ground floor. The second floor would feature a rooftop bar and two private dining rooms available for hire.

It would involve extending the back of the pub, effectively doubling the size of the building.

The site was listed for sale late last year and bought by the Ginos Group for $1.6 million.

Company directors Zis and George Ginos expect to invest up to another $1.5 million in refurbishment and extensions.

Zis said the pub — most recently known as the Golden Port Tavern — would be aimed at 30 and 40-somethings.

He believed it was a “very opportune” time to invest in Port Adelaide, given upcoming residential developments.

The group had not yet chosen an operator for the pub when it opened.

“There is interest from various people to operate the hotel so we will see how it goes,” Mr Ginos said.

“We’ve got a saying — ‘build it and they will come’. You’re not going to get anything along here with the Golden Port Tavern if it wasn’t fixed. This is what we do. We take older places and fix them up for modern use.”

The group had also purchased a number of old woolstores in Port Adelaide and would look to purchase more property in the area “depending on what comes around”.

The first pub to be built on the site was the Carpenters’ Arms Tavern, which opened on December 18, 1850.

In 1865, it burnt down and was replaced by the current building.

It was called the Globe until 1981, when it became the Golden Port Tavern.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... c61753954d