News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Is it too late to save the Port?

#16 Post by SRW » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:01 pm

The ACC is undertaking something similar to what I suggested above. See article: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... ion=justin
Last edited by SRW on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Wayno » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:56 pm

SRW wrote:The ACC is undertaking something similar to what a suggested above. See article: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... ion=justin
an inventive approach indeed!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:00 am

jk1237, what you say is quite correct, historically.

However, I disagree that the Port's economic history has sealed its fate. Other, even more remote, old ports around the world have been rejuvenated despite their location. They have become destinations within themselves, as well as residential areas as has been suggested. And after all, Port Adelaide is hardly remote in real terms. Look at the fishing ports of the US east coast, notably Mystic Seaport.

One of the problems in SA is that government moves have actually hindered the long term health and regeneration of the Port. Poor traffic management, the approving of a narrowly based residential development, the destruction of the last vestiges of the working port and the failure to plan for the adaptive re-use of old buildings are examples of ill-advised government action or inaction which has cruelled the Port's chances. Even the approval years ago of Arndale and West Lakes shopping precincts were errors sen in this light. Fast transport connections to a satellite CBD at the Port could have replaced at least the West Lakes Mall precinct.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by baytram366 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:11 pm

I still think building the Port Canal Shopping Centre where it is was a big mistake. Why not build it closer to the lighthouse or even on the docks? That would have brought much needed life to the end of Commerical Road. Also, why bulldoze the large dock sheds? In Melbourne, they have converted them to night clubs and function centres. Here, we just demolish and build ugly town houses blocking access to any other member of the public to the interesting docks area.
I hope we finally wake up and stop demolishing and just use and convert what is already there. This applies to the whole of SA, not just Port Adelaide. I too have just come back from Melbourne and "Want to Cry" :(
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:40 pm

I don't know what would happen if Port Adelaide is no longer a suburb, just like Pluto losing it planetary status...
The Port Admiral Hotel may not be 'heritage listed', possibly due to modifications...
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by pushbutton » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:47 pm

It's just a complete dump as far as I'm concerned. The new waterfront development is quite nice, but it's totally seperate from the main shopping area and as such doesn't add anything to it.

The heritage that people say should be saved just looks like dirty empty grotty old buildings that are not suitable for any modern use as far as I'm concerned.

There's a lot of low socio-economic people (to use the very polite term) living in and around the area too which doesn't help.

The shopping facilities are usable but compare very poorly to other nearby facilities at Westfield West Lakes.

I occasionally hear talk of "tourism" in Port Adelaide, but frankly I cannot begin to imagine why tourists would ever want to go there, as there's nothing for them to see or do and the whole place has a nasty run down feel to it.

I know that's all a bit negative and I'm afraid I can't see any easy answer to it. But I'm just expressing my thoughts about the place I suppose.

It would need a hell of a lot of money spent to make it into a nice place (and for what it's worth I think it COULD be a tourist destination but again, it would need a hell of a lot of money spent to make it into one). It certainly doesn't need to be developed into a shopping destination because there's more than enough high quality shops nearby already at West Lakes.

I think if Port Adelaide is ever to be transformed into something more pleasant and user-friendly, then people need to stop whinging about the so-called heritage of it and just accept that any heritage there might have been is negigible, and in such poor condition it's best demolished and the land used for something decent.

Personally I don't really have high hopes for the area.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 pm

I think there is hope for the area.

I have recently heard that negotiations for buying and bringing to SA the sailing ship 'City of Adelaide' are moving ahead with every chance of success. A limited company has been formed and the word is that a successful tender has been made to buy the ship.

http://webmail.cityofadelaide.org.au

It's good to see the Mayor of Port Adelaide supporting the development of the historical and tourism side of things. For too long he has let LMC have its way. There's a lot he could do.

If the Rann government gets sufficiently nervous about its chances on March 20th, it may even help as well. Local Member Foley has moved from the eastern suburbs to West Lakes - the closest he's lived to the Port for years!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

skyliner

#23 Post by skyliner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:57 pm

I had heard of this ship some time ago - would be a fantastic addition to Pt Adelaide due to all the reasons on their website. It's the kind oif thing that would draw 'ancilliary' activities and even cause a threshold to be reached which would keep the historic side moving, active and attractive to all who come to the Port. Clippers are VERY impressive ships, even when restored but not fully operational. They say it is one of only two left - the other being the Cutty Sark. I heard it had a huge fire and was badly damaged not so long ago.

It seems a big call to get it here - especially in the face of the opponents who want to fully restore the ship. BUT, as with Stumpjumper, I believe we have a good chance of getting it, esp. if the likes of Rann get behind it - this would have a certain media aspect that would appeal to him.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by stumpjumper » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:35 pm

City of Adelaide and Cutty Sark are the only remaining iron framed clippers left, although the hull of the Cutty Sark is now fire-damaged (fortunately the rigging was removed before the fire). On the other hand, the C of A has not had any rigging since the 1890's.

The present scheme is to bring the hull of the C of A here for about $1 million, then slowly restore the ship as time, money and labour allows.

The funds to buuy and move the ship look fairly solid, no thanks to the Rann government, from whom the response is the usual ''money is too tight'. Too bad the C of A is not SACA and SANFL, which have been offered $450 million as an unsolicited gift.

The City of Adelaide was once a regular in Port Adelaide. In 1874 it was slipped at Fletcher's Patent Slip to the west of the Birkenhead Bridge.

http://cityofadelaide.org.au

The ideal, as mentioned, would be to add more attractions to the Port - a submarine or even a space shuttle. There are brokers for such things, which can be leased. Darling Harbor is considering leasing a Russian space shuttle.

Xaragmata

#25 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:19 pm

May not really fit this thread, but work on the Port Mall continues sporadically with a new car park & refurb of frontage in St Vincent Street:

http://xaragmata.mooo.com/album/adelaid ... _6805.html

The Scooter Guy

#26 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Remember when the Port Admiral Hotel celebrated 150 years in 1999?
Will it eventually reopen? The future of it looks unpredictable...
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by Hooligan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:42 pm

As if they needed more carparks there. there are empty ones everywhere around there.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Sugar
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#28 Post by Sugar » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:27 pm

They need to cater for all the Hooligans going on their Cruise around the carparks late at night.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Hooligan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:45 pm

Sugar wrote:They need to cater for all the Hooligans going on their Cruise around the carparks late at night.
thanks for your contribution Shuz.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by Straze » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:39 pm

Once upon a time the Port Adelaide area was a booming town but in the last so many years the only i times i have seen it with lots of people is on the weekends the Port Adelaide Markets or when there is a special event at the National Railway Museum but other than that it pretty much feels like a ghost town with the main street shops now abandoned, the railway station looking ugly and uninviting, too much wasted space taken up by car parks and outdated shopping centres excluding Kmart and Coles. I feel in order to attract more people to Port Adelaide we need to - knock down the whole main street shops and rebuild them as mixed residential/commercial developments with shops on the ground level and apartments on top raised to at least 4 floors, reduce Commercial Road to one lane with a nice boulevard type median strip similar to the one on Peachey Road in the northern suburbs with shrubs, flowers, trees and street lighting. Next redevelop Port Canal and Port Mall as one big shopping centre including bakery, butcher, cafes, fast food joints, supermarket and department store. Do up Port Adelaide Station by lowering it to ground level with park & ride and bus/rail interchange. Build park or plaza area next to Port Adelaide Station with ticket office, kiosk and lounge.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.