News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Is it too late to save the Port?

#46 Post by Will » Tue May 25, 2010 3:08 pm

That Brasserie Moustache place looks really cool. Is it a French restaurant?

Vee
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by Vee » Tue May 25, 2010 6:43 pm

Xaragmata wrote:The Port Mall frontage to St Vincent St continues to be upgraded, together with adajcent shops including Brasserie Moustache by the pedestrian crossing.
Thanks for the photos.

I like the Brasserie Moustache too. Funny name. Do you know the significance?

This shows the fabulous potential of the Port. This could be the start of something good!!

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by Xaragmata » Tue May 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Will wrote:That Brasserie Moustache place looks really cool. Is it a French restaurant?
I was looking in the window, & the owner invited me in for a look & told me a bit of his plans, which is for an affordable bistro style meals & wants to get
regular customers dining several times a week. He is from the Barossa & appears to be well connected there & most likely had the Brasserie Moustache in
Keyneton (I found on the net). In other words, he has a plan to make the business a success, where perhaps some others have failed with the hype about
the port renewal - Harbor Byte, the cafe in the Central Building, the ice cream shop near the Port Dock tavern etc. He plans to open in mid July, so I'm
looking forward to trying it.

The Scooter Guy

#49 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue May 25, 2010 7:29 pm

The Port Admiral Hotel is one of Port Adelaide's oldest hotels.
It features a saloon bar, dining & gaming rooms.
As of today, the shuttered hotel remains closed to public.
I hope it is restored by the time the Port is ressurrected!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Xaragmata

#50 Post by Xaragmata » Tue May 25, 2010 7:29 pm

veemur wrote:
Xaragmata wrote:The Port Mall frontage to St Vincent St continues to be upgraded, together with adajcent shops including Brasserie Moustache by the pedestrian crossing.
Thanks for the photos.

I like the Brasserie Moustache too. Funny name. Do you know the significance?

This shows the fabulous potential of the Port. This could be the start of something good!!
I didn't ask the significance, but if it is the same as the one at Keyneton, it is for the owner's mo:
http://www.eatanddrink.com.au/details_e ... fm?ID=8940

Vee
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by Vee » Tue May 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Xaragmata wrote: I didn't ask the significance, but if it is the same as the one at Keyneton, it is for the owner's mo:
http://www.eatanddrink.com.au/details_e ... fm?ID=8940
Thanks for the explanation and the link.
I will check it out, once it has opened, next time I visit the Port.

The precinct needs more quirky businesses to complement the fine range of heritage buildings.

skyliner

#52 Post by skyliner » Mon May 31, 2010 5:21 pm

Today the decision about the fate of the clipper ship 'city of Adelaide' is to be made. If we get it we need another $1.5 mill to get it over here - an appeal to state gov't is under way for underwriting. BTW - for those who wondered where this came from ....ADELAIDE NOW! (today). Yes....I finally brought myself to read it!!. Will know all tomorrow. (For extra info go to 'city of Adelaide' website).

IMHO this will greatly enhance the possibilities of 'saving' the Port.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Vee » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:42 pm

skyliner wrote:Today the decision about the fate of the clipper ship 'city of Adelaide' is to be made. If we get it we need another $1.5 mill to get it over here
Any news on the result yet?
This will be a tremendous boost to the Port if the decision is made in our favour. I will add my donation to the appeal.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:27 pm

High-rise revamp for Port

THREE high-rise waterfront towers and a $75 million five-star hotel at the Custom’s House have been unveiled as part of a planning study for Port Adelaide’s McLaren’s Wharf precinct.

One of the Port’s largest single property owners, Hans Ehmann, said his $300 million redevelopment plans would hinge on the State Government introducing new “ambitious height levels” in the precinct and flagged the demise of the popular Fisherman’s Wharf markets from its existing location.

Mr Ehmann revealed his plans at a series of workshops held for the Port-Enfield Council and the State Government’s planning study for the Port’s wharf precinct and Cruickshank’s Corner.

He said work on the hotel would start within two years if the planning and design study, expected to be completed later this year, led to a increase of the area’s existing building heights and density restrictions above the existing the three and four storey limit.

Mr Ehmann bought the Customs House site more than 20 years ago, and also owns the old wharf sheds now home to Fisherman’s markets offices on Butler St, and the Port’s Smith Motors business and landholdings.

The proposal presented by Mr Ehmann would see:

* A boutique hotel built on the site of State heritage-listed Customs House and Institute Building incorporating a conference centre and retail shops while retaining the building’s facade;

* A series of three 12-storey towers along the waterfront, replacing the Fisherman’s Market, with two designated for residential use and one as a retirement village;

* A new multi-deck carpark near Nelson St; and

* A small park and open space between the proposed hotel and the Port-Enfield council offices.

Mr Ehmann said although he expected his plans may raise the ire of some Port heritage groups, the proposal needed to be financially viable to proceed.

“The community needs to understand that if our proposals have to be modified to conform with community expectations they will nevertheless still have to prove financially viable otherwise nothing will happen,” he said. Mr Ehmann urged the government to allow “an ambitious height level sooner or later” to enable the project to proceed.

http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... -for-port/
More: Time for a brave new look: http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... -new-look/

skyliner

#55 Post by skyliner » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 pm

veemur wrote:
skyliner wrote:Today the decision about the fate of the clipper ship 'city of Adelaide' is to be made. If we get it we need another $1.5 mill to get it over here
Any news on the result yet?
This will be a tremendous boost to the Port if the decision is made in our favour. I will add my donation to the appeal.
Tried to find out early today but no result yet.

BTW - from what I can work out finances raised so far are $1m, needing the extra $1.5m.to bring it here. Definitely a possibility with state gov't support.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Nort

#56 Post by Nort » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:34 am

Port Adelaide Fan wrote:High-rise revamp for Port

THREE high-rise waterfront towers and a $75 million five-star hotel at the Custom’s House have been unveiled as part of a planning study for Port Adelaide’s McLaren’s Wharf precinct.

One of the Port’s largest single property owners, Hans Ehmann, said his $300 million redevelopment plans would hinge on the State Government introducing new “ambitious height levels” in the precinct and flagged the demise of the popular Fisherman’s Wharf markets from its existing location.

Mr Ehmann revealed his plans at a series of workshops held for the Port-Enfield Council and the State Government’s planning study for the Port’s wharf precinct and Cruickshank’s Corner.

He said work on the hotel would start within two years if the planning and design study, expected to be completed later this year, led to a increase of the area’s existing building heights and density restrictions above the existing the three and four storey limit.

Mr Ehmann bought the Customs House site more than 20 years ago, and also owns the old wharf sheds now home to Fisherman’s markets offices on Butler St, and the Port’s Smith Motors business and landholdings.

The proposal presented by Mr Ehmann would see:

* A boutique hotel built on the site of State heritage-listed Customs House and Institute Building incorporating a conference centre and retail shops while retaining the building’s facade;

* A series of three 12-storey towers along the waterfront, replacing the Fisherman’s Market, with two designated for residential use and one as a retirement village;

* A new multi-deck carpark near Nelson St; and

* A small park and open space between the proposed hotel and the Port-Enfield council offices.

Mr Ehmann said although he expected his plans may raise the ire of some Port heritage groups, the proposal needed to be financially viable to proceed.

“The community needs to understand that if our proposals have to be modified to conform with community expectations they will nevertheless still have to prove financially viable otherwise nothing will happen,” he said. Mr Ehmann urged the government to allow “an ambitious height level sooner or later” to enable the project to proceed.

http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... -for-port/
More: Time for a brave new look: http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... -new-look/
I don't know how to feel about this.

On the one hand this sort of development is exactly what is needed to kick start Port Adelaide development back into action. On the other hand it seems a shame to demolish a popular market that draws people into the area when there is still so much unused land about. I know there will be plenty of people on here who poo-poo the markets, but they are one of the few vibrant things Port Adelaide has going right now.

edit: I see that second Messenger link includes a line mentioning the overall plan would include the encouragement of waterfront markets, that is promising although it remains to be seen whether it is a serious plan (I think it would need to contain permanent stalls to be successful) or is merely a throwaway line intended to minimize opposition to demolition of the existing market.

rhino

#57 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:19 am

Re-vitalise the Port - demolish the one thing that brings people there, and replace it with residential towers and a retirement home. Good one.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#58 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Fisherman Markets are nothing special and a bit overrated IMO, however I don't know it would be a good idea demolishing it.

Though I do like the idea of waterfront markets.

Waewick

#59 Post by Waewick » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:48 pm

the waterfront is probably underutilised but looking throught developments, isn't this all going to be a dirty river anyway? hardly something people want to come down and see.

skyliner

#60 Post by skyliner » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:39 pm

I note there is a conflict of interests re Cruickshank's corner concerning the development proposal and the preferred location of the 'City of Adelaide'. Interesting to see the outcome.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.