COM: Adelaide Showgrounds Redevelopment | $35m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: $35m for exhibition hall

#76 Post by mattblack » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:07 pm

You'd rather have a old run down crumbling building rather than a modern functional exhibition space which is what the showgrounds are for? Not me :D

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#77 Post by Joely » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:14 pm

mattblack wrote:You'd rather have a old run down crumbling building rather than a modern functional exhibition space which is what the showgrounds are for? Not me :D
Not at all. Of course the hall had to go, it was crumbling to pieces. I would've liked them to build a new modern building which had a similar grand imposing facade in terms of height and size to the Centenial Hall to pay homage to it. The new pavillion just looks so dull and cheap in comparison.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#78 Post by Shuz » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 pm

Wow, it looks so much more modern than what I thought I saw of it. A vast improvement to its surroundings. Thanks for the captures Norman. :)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:27 pm

love the fact that buses stop inside the grounds next to the hall - but how do they collect money for show entry, does the bus only allow you on with showground tickets?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#80 Post by Norman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:50 pm

No, there is a separate ticket selling area (the coloured boxes) at the Bus Interchange.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#81 Post by pushbutton » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:13 pm

There's no denying it, it all looks absolutely world class. I just think it's such a shame they don't have the show going all year round, could be a brilliant tourist attraction.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#82 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:28 pm

pushbutton wrote:There's no denying it, it all looks absolutely world class. I just think it's such a shame they don't have the show going all year round, could be a brilliant tourist attraction.
A couple of weeks a year is enough for "THE" Show, but yes the showgrounds could do with a year-round activity boost - there's so much potential, but the agricultural society probably have a different mindset.

I'd love a semi-permanent "very large" motorised go-cart track on site, footy/soccer on the oval, more music festivals (monthly live bands perhaps), etc...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by AtD » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:55 pm

pushbutton wrote:There's no denying it, it all looks absolutely world class. I just think it's such a shame they don't have the show going all year round, could be a brilliant tourist attraction.
Not really. Every city and most large towns have a Royal show.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by monotonehell » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:26 am

Wayno wrote:A couple of weeks a year is enough for "THE" Show, but yes the showgrounds could do with a year-round activity boost - there's so much potential, but the agricultural society probably have a different mindset.

I'd love a semi-permanent "very large" motorised go-cart track on site, footy/soccer on the oval, more music festivals (monthly live bands perhaps), etc...
The showgrounds don't sit idle for the rest of the year, there's a constant progression of exhibitions, trade fairs, home shows, hippy fests, uni exams, sales, and other events that they hire parts of the grounds out for (do they still do the farmers' markets on sundays?)

I've set up so many trade shows out there, over the years, for various jobs, and taken all but one of my exams out there, that it's like a second home to me. ;)

Strangely I haven't been to THE actual Show in years. I m-i-g-h-t take an afternoon off work this week and go just to see the new buildings... maybe.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#85 Post by Wayno » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:28 am

monotonehell wrote:
Wayno wrote:A couple of weeks a year is enough for "THE" Show, but yes the showgrounds could do with a year-round activity boost - there's so much potential, but the agricultural society probably have a different mindset.

The showgrounds don't sit idle for the rest of the year, there's a constant progression of exhibitions, trade fairs, home shows, hippy fests, uni exams, sales, and other events that they hire parts of the grounds out for (do they still do the farmers' markets on sundays?)
yep, am aware of the exhibits, home shows, etc.. but they are pretty boring and don't do much for the "Aura" or "enlivening" of Adelaide. Certainly not news worthy entertainment but instead just an opportunity to shift products that people don't really need.

The "hippy fest" sounds interesting though - do tell more and i might drag out my tie-dye tshirt!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#86 Post by pushbutton » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:27 pm

Maybe if they at least had the show on for say 2 weeks, and TWICE, rather than once a year. (Say once in September as currently, and once in March)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Wayno » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:23 pm

i took my 10yo daughter to the show today. it was great! a few rides, a gut full of fairy floss, and some side-show prizes (i'm sure my daughter had a good time too!)

Love the new goyder pavilion. very nice indeed...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:21 am

pushbutton wrote:Maybe if they at least had the show on for say 2 weeks, and TWICE, rather than once a year. (Say once in September as currently, and once in March)
It would clash with the Mad March festivals (Fringe, Arts Festival and Clipsal), weather would probably be too hot for it and once a year is enough.

Not sure if this is still the case but the Royal Adelaide Show is the 2nd most attended show in Australia (first being Sydney).

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#89 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:10 pm

crawf wrote:
pushbutton wrote:Maybe if they at least had the show on for say 2 weeks, and TWICE, rather than once a year. (Say once in September as currently, and once in March)
It would clash with the Mad March festivals (Fringe, Arts Festival and Clipsal), weather would probably be too hot for it and once a year is enough.

Not sure if this is still the case but the Royal Adelaide Show is the 2nd most attended show in Australia (first being Sydney).

I think per capita (gotta love that) it is the most successful.

Well it used to be, I don't know recent statistics.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by pushbutton » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Well I went to the show today and had my first look at the Goyder Pavillion. I have to say it is everything I was expecting from reading this thread, and so much more!

It's not just the Goyder Pavillion itself that's new. The entire surrounding area has been redeveloped too.

The atrium food court has had a TOTAL revamp, which was much needed, with the glass roof being completely re-painted (now cream colour instead of maroon), new modern lighting, completely new food outlets on both sides, new paving and new stylish and contemporary tables, chairs, signage and plants.

The Wayville Pavillion (showbags pavillion) has all new modern entrances from the atrium food court too, replacing the grotty little gates it used to have, and the brick walls have been re-clad to match the walls of the Goyder Pavillion.

The toilets, first aid and office facilities on the side of the Wayville Pavillion facing into the atrium food court have also been upgraded and the external walls re-clad to match the Goyder pavillion.

There's now several big, bright theme park style souvenir shops in the atrium food court.

There is a great choice of quality food and drinks throughout the showgrounds now. You can get anything from a decent coffee and cake to a nice indian curry, to pasta, to twisty fries! A far cry from the days when the best you could hope for was a "Dagwood Dog", or to queue for 15 minutes for a Hungry Jacks Whopper meal! Amazingly, you can get a pretty good meal for under $10 per person!

The new ticket booths and bus station on Goodwood Road are fantastic and really make a powerful, fun, modern and exciting entry statement.

There is also a lovely new outdoor plaza at the rose tce end of the Goyder Pavillion.

Signage throughout the showgrounds is now greatly improved and very attractive.

There is a sign outside the intnernational Pavillion which gives details of even more development work which will be happening between now and the next Royal Show.

Apparently the international paviliion is to be demolished (that's the building they had Prison Break in last year I think) and in it's place will be a further extension of the new outdoor plaza I just mentioned.

The Jubilee Pavillion is to be partially re-clad (even though it's only a couple of years old!) to match the exterior of the Goyder Pavillion).

The area where the childrens rides are is to be paved.

New billboard signage is to be installed on Goodwood Road to advertise what's going on at the showgrounds.

Most exciting of all in my opinion, the Rose Terrace entrance is to be completely replaced, presumably with new brightly coloured ticket booths to match those on Goodwood Road, instead of the existing red roller shutter arrangement.

All in all, the showground is a far cry from the somewhat tacky and grotty place it was up until about 7 or 8 years ago, and it's still getting better. I really think it now deserves to be called a world class exhibition / conference centre, and although I admit I have never seen the showgrounds in any other city, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Adelaide Showgrounds is the best of its kind in Australia, by quite a long way!!!

The only other thing I would suggest needs to be done with a certain degree of priority is to resurface the area where the main rides are (Ten Carnival or whatever they call it now). It's currently littered with potholes!

Well done and thanks to everyone who designed, approved and built these supurb new developments!
Last edited by pushbutton on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.