COM: Adelaide Showgrounds Redevelopment | $35m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #PRO: Adelaide Showgrounds Upgrade

#121 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:47 pm

pushbutton wrote:The chairlifts were removed "temporarily" because they were apparently in the way of where they wanted to build the new Jubilee Pavillion. According to the Channel 7 news, they would be re-aligned to a new route across the showgrounds the following year after the Jubilee Pavilion was built.

I'm patiently waiting........

VERY VERY patiently!
Geez, It's been a long time since they were removed! Are they in storage at the moment?
And why were the Granite Island chairlifts removed too?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#122 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:58 pm

One of you guys interested in chairlifts could email the Showsgrounds owners (the agricultural society) and find out if they have plans to reintroduce them at some point...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#123 Post by mattblack » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:39 pm

A proverbial crapload of solar panels have been added to the Goyder pavillion. Its probally around the 100 mark and thats just the ones you can see. I like.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#124 Post by Wayno » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:07 am

mattblack wrote:A proverbial crapload of solar panels have been added to the Goyder pavillion. Its probally around the 100 mark and thats just the ones you can see. I like.
It's excellent how the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society (RAHS) just quietly gets on with things. They are a model of environmental conscientiousness. Can you imagine the fanfair (and puffed plumage) if Rann introduced 100+ solar panels and a massive rainwater tank...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#125 Post by mattblack » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:17 am

Wayno wrote:
mattblack wrote:A proverbial crapload of solar panels have been added to the Goyder pavillion. Its probally around the 100 mark and thats just the ones you can see. I like.
It's excellent how the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society (RAHS) just quietly gets on with things. They are a model of environmental conscientiousness. Can you imagine the fanfair (and puffed plumage) if Rann introduced 100+ solar panels and a massive rainwater tank...

Its a state government initiative. Rann did his plumage puffing when it was announced some time back when the Goyder Pavillion was nearly complete :D They will generate enough lekky to power 200 homes or more than a 1/3 of the power that the showground uses in a year.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#126 Post by Wayno » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:41 am

mattblack wrote: Its a state government initiative. Rann did his plumage puffing when it was announced some time back when the Goyder Pavillion was nearly complete :D They will generate enough lekky to power 200 homes or more than a 1/3 of the power that the showground uses in a year.
interesting - who paid for the solar panels? Ag Society or tax payers?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#127 Post by mattblack » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:47 pm

You and me. It will count towards the state government renewable resouce target.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#128 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:31 am

A lot of people don't realise that the Showgrounds is nearly all government land, leased by the horticultural society (RAHS). The RAHS owns only the oval and their admin building. The rest of the 120 acres (I think, unsure of actual area) is government land.

It surprised me that when Cheltenham became available no-one was suggesting putting the showgrounds there, in a showgrounds/wetlands/equestrian park development, releasing the very high value showgrounds with its compromised access (off an arterial road) and difficult parking for housing.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#129 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:45 am

Showground plan wins Unley Council support

From the Eastern Courier: http://eastern-courier-messenger.wherei ... n-support/
A $130 MILLION plan to upgrade the Adelaide Showground has won Unley Council’s support despite its complaints about a lack of consultation.

The council has largely backed the State Government’s Development Plan Amendment (DPA), which paves the way for retail, residential and commercial developments around the site.

At the same time, in a formal submission on the DPA, Unley accused the government of reneging on its commitment to consult the council.

The vision unveiled last February would transform the showground from an exhibition centre into a year-round hub for community, sporting and commercial activity.

The plans include multi-purpose pavilions capable of hosting indoor sports such as tennis and soccer as well as the annual Royal Adelaide Show exhibitions.

Unley acting CEO Christine Umapathysivam said the council remained concerned about the proposed land uses and at the lack of consultation.

“There are some proposed land uses that are deemed inappropriate for the site which include warehousing, large showrooms, residential development and primary and secondary schools.”

The council has asked the height of development on Leader St be reduced from five storeys to three.

Planning Minister Paul Holloway’s spokesman denied the council had received a written commitment to consult but Unley had been “regularly engaged” by the Planning Department.

Public consultation on the plan will be held on Tuesday, January 19, from 7pm, at the Mercure Grosvenor Hotel, North Tce.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#130 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 am

Lots of Showgrounds DPA related info here http://www.planning.sa.gov.au/go/showground

What changes are being proposed?
The DPA proposes to replace the existing Show Grounds Zone contained within the City of Unley Development Plan with a new Showground Zone that contemplates:
  • * continuation and enhancement of entertainment and exhibition type activities including the annual Royal Adelaide Show
    * commercial activities such as consulting rooms, offices, tourist accommodation, a child care centre and a gymnasium against the western side of Goodwood Road
    * mix use development of up to seven storeys above natural ground level against the southern side of Rose Terrace
    * mix use development of up to five storeys above natural ground level against the northern side of Leader Street.
As an aside, I noted in the Unley Council submission that it's considering increasing building height limitations along Greenhill Rd to be 7 storey's. See page 17 of the "P07 - Adelaide Showgrounds DPA - The City of Unley [PDF 8.48 MB]" attachment on the above webpage.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#131 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 pm

I know we live in a democracy and that to each their own, but seriously,... reading through the submissions in relation to the Showgrounds Development shows how much of a NIMBY attitude some people have. It's really quite infuriating.

It's a wonder anything gets done.

(Please note that I have not made this comment in regards to Adelaide being exclusively Nimby minded, as it is a common issue in all cities.)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#132 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:10 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:I know we live in a democracy and that to each their own, but seriously,... reading through the submissions in relation to the Showgrounds Development shows how much of a NIMBY attitude some people have. It's really quite infuriating.
That's the nature of public responses - they are generally negative and nit-picky. Don't stress over it. I'm happy the Govt is pushing ahead, and the Unley Council mostly agrees with the plans.

On a related note, seems the Unley Council are working an *urban design* concept for the whole Showgrounds & Keswick Barracks area - just in case the DoD ever decides to sell (which is a real possibility). More details here ==> http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/webdata/reso ... y_2009.pdf
showgrounds-and-barracks.JPG
showgrounds-and-barracks.JPG (123.99 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#133 Post by ChrisRT » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Had a brief look at some of the submissions. Most are actually pretty calm and measured I think, particularly compared to the ones I read for the St. Clair reserve land swap.

Most of the ones I read were broadly supportive with concerns about traffic and building heights. That is to be expected in Adelaide. It seems very hard to convince people that it is possible to increase urban density without also significantly increasing traffic.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#134 Post by ChrisRT » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:19 am

I read some more of the submissions. The real challenge is parking during big events. The Parklands Preservation Society naturally want to stop the Southern Parklands being used as a giant car park during the Royal Show. The DPA seems to hint at mult-level car parks along Rose Terrace. However multi-level car parks are both ugly and don't really solve the issue since they just further encourage car use in an area of the city which isn't set up to effectively handle large volumes of traffic.

My view: if this proposal goes ahead, Keswick station should be rebuilt along the Southern side of Greenhill road. It would then become the permanent 'Showgrounds Precinct' station and would also help to serve new developments such as World Park 01.

Lets face it, the existing Keswick station is poorly positioned and none too safe due to almost complete lack of passive surveillance.

Keswick barracks would also be an ideal place for another TOD too.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#135 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:53 am

ChrisRT wrote:I read some more of the submissions. The real challenge is parking during big events. The Parklands Preservation Society naturally want to stop the Southern Parklands being used as a giant car park during the Royal Show. The DPA seems to hint at mult-level car parks along Rose Terrace. However multi-level car parks are both ugly and don't really solve the issue since they just further encourage car use in an area of the city which isn't set up to effectively handle large volumes of traffic.

It's OK, we'll just call it a 'park and ride' facility. :lol: