COM: Adelaide Showgrounds Redevelopment | $35m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide Showgrounds redevelopment

#151 Post by stumpjumper » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:11 am

I did read in the Advertiser that one of the first proposals was to remove some of the animal pavilions and build an indoor sports centre in their place.
A stadium! Now there's an idea!

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#152 Post by omada » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm sorry I can't view the development of the showgrounds site rationally, I (prob.all of us to some extent) have such memories of the showgrounds that I could not fathom a major change to the buildings. I love all the old pavilions and exhibition buildings, they say something about our former economy and history to a certain extent. But the rationalist in me can see the attraction in using the land more effectively.. but a sports stadium??.. how many of these damned things do we need!!!

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#153 Post by stumpjumper » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:55 pm

It looks as though we will at least be getting one of those indoor equestrian arenas. There's probably an official name for that in the horsey world, of which I am not a part.

Here's evidence of the 'horse community', the SAHS and the government getting together. The piece below is from http://www.horsesa.asn.au/zeolite/zdocument/1416
THE SOUTH AUSTRALIAN STATE HORSE CENTRE PRECINCT
During the 2009 Royal Adelaide Show, the RAS (RSAHS? - sj) & Horse SA jointly hosted a function to further the concept of a State Horse Centre. Significant state horse organisations were invited, and those represented included: Arabian Riders & Breeders Society, Australian Equine Veterinary Assoc (SA Branch), Australian International Three Day Event, Equestrian SA, Horse Safety Australia, Riding for Disabled, Pony Club SA, Harness Racing SA, Thoroughbred Racing SA & SA Country Shows Assoc (with apologies from: SA Hunt Clubs, Polocrosse Assoc of SA & SA Polo Assoc).

The groups came with a shared goal – that of gaining facilities of an international standard that can be used by all horse people from a myriad of different disciplines.

The State Horse Centre (SHC) involves an upgrade to the Adelaide Showground. The Showground is brilliantly sited to house a SHC. More of our events would be able to take place in a manner that will capture a whole new audience & give many more people the opportunity to engage in horse activities or just connect with horses in an environment that is accessible and safe. It has the potential to bring in more participants, create employment opportunities, more spectators & hence more sponsors. It would be a one stop shop for a range of expert information & training to service all levels and all horse interests all year round.

The industry needs a central focal point to underpin and support the future growth and sustainability of horse related activity in SA. Horse groups present at the meeting were invited to sign a Memorandum of Understanding, which represents a commitment to the united position of the horse industry in relation to establishing a State Horse Centre at Wayville.
About 20 years ago the 'horse community' was pushing for an international equestrian centre in the north-east Park Lands. Nothing came of that, although architect Geof Nairn designed a comprehensive centre.

The following is edited from a horse magazine dated 'autumn 2009' so this has been going on quietly for a while. The publication is Horse SA Newsletter, Autumn Edition, 2009. The cover story is "Growing the horse industry in South Australia" and there's a picture on the cover of SA's ubiquitous growth expert Rod Hook.

http://www.horsesa.asn.au/zdocument/fil ... 9final.pdf

South Australian State Horse Centre Precinct

Minister for Urban Development and Planning Paul Holloway said recently that the State Government has begun the process of rezoning the Adelaide Showground. Mr Holloway says the rezoning will allow the Showground to be transformed into an entertainment precinct that expands its capacity beyond hosting exhibitions and the annual Royal Adelaide Show. “The potential for the Showground site is enormous given its close proximity to the parklands and tram and train corridors,” he said. “Rather than limit its use to exhibitions and the annual show, the proposed rezoning will allow the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society Inc. to examine a broader range of uses for this site.”

The South Australian horse industry requires a central focus point to underpin and support the future growth of all horse related activities in this state.

The State Horse Centre is a project contained within the SA Government’s draft State Level Sporting Facilities strategy. The Centre involves an upgrade to the Adelaide Showground. The State Horse Centre will be an integral part of an upgrade to one of the most well known and utilized community facilities in the State, with over 400 events per year and a total visitor number in excess of 1.3 million.

A State Horse Centre will not only provide a centre of excellence for the horse industry in this State, but will additionally provide an opportunity for the broader population to be introduced to horses within an environment that is easy to access, safe and provides a range of expert information and services from beginner to the most advanced.

From the Centre, state-wide programs in all aspects of engagement with horses, from Riding for the Disabled programs to programs supporting entry into the thoroughbred racing industry which will radiate to all parts of the State and beyond.

“Public and event organiser feedback around the recently completed redevelopment has been extremely positive,” said RA&HS Chief Executive John Rothwell. “Planning the Showground’s future will ensure sound financial results, an ability to cater for increased visitor growth beyond the current 1.3 million annually, year around usage of the venue and increased parking capacity. Visitors and event organisers have an expectation that public venues are multi-functional and of a high standard,” Mr Rothwell said.

Mr Holloway says much of the work to identify the potential for the Showground site has already been carried out by the RA&HS, which has prepared a concept plan that will form the starting point for the proposed rezoning.

The Precinct is proposed to incorporate stabling, indoor & outdoor training and competition facilities, farrier, veterinary, coaching, retail, and related administration and industry support services. Horses will live on site all year around.

The facility will be owned by the Royal Agricultural & Horticultural Society of SA Inc and managed by the horse community (as a legal entity)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#154 Post by AtD » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:46 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Land development is a bit different than picking up scattered cash, AtD. My question is still useful in deciding a use for land.
No, it's not. It's implying a static world in which nothing grows, nothing changes and everyone's circumstances are the same. If you really believe it, why bother getting out of the bed in the morning? There's nothing exiting to do, everyone else has done it all.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#155 Post by monotonehell » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Analogies are like comparisons of two completely different things.

;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#156 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:17 am

stumpjumper wrote:
Land development is a bit different than picking up scattered cash, AtD. My question is still useful in deciding a use for land.

No, it's not. It's implying a static world in which nothing grows, nothing changes and everyone's circumstances are the same. If you really believe it, why bother getting out of the bed in the morning? There's nothing exiting to do, everyone else has done it all.
I'm missing your point, AtD.

What I meant was that one of the questions a prospective developer would be wise to ask is 'has this venture in a similar situation been successful?'

However, that doesn't preclude a brand new, never before heard of, venture. In that (rare) case, the question about the success of previous similar developments wouldn't apply.

I really like new, groundbreaking things, but they are few and far between.

Read Ecclesiastes on this point:

'That which has been is that which shall be; and that which has been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it may be said, “Behold, this is new?” It has been long ago, in the ages which were before us.'

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#157 Post by monotonehell » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:24 am

stumpjumper wrote: ...Read Ecclesiastes on this point:

'That which has been is that which shall be; and that which has been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it may be said, “Behold, this is new?” It has been long ago, in the ages which were before us.'
Turn turn turn. ;)

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#158 Post by Aidan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:05 pm

"There's nothing new under the sun" said the editor. He claimed he'd thought of it himself.
When I told him it was Solomon, he said that proves his point!
--Paraphrased from an old issue of MacFormat, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone else had beaten them to it.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#159 Post by rhino » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:22 pm

monotonehell wrote:Analogies are like comparisons of two completely different things.
At a guess, I'd say you prefer analogies that compare only one thing, instead of two things? :)
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#160 Post by monotonehell » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:35 pm

rhino wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Analogies are like comparisons of two completely different things.
At a guess, I'd say you prefer analogies that compare only one thing, instead of two things? :)
No I prefer similes, that's why I used one. ;)