COM: Adelaide Showgrounds Redevelopment | $35m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Royal Adelaide Show gets a new ride!

#46 Post by Wayno » Wed May 07, 2008 2:36 pm

Queen Anne wrote:The story says the Mad Mouse was demolished, and then goes on to say it was sold to the Newcastle show.

Am I missing something? I would have thought demolition was more likely than a move..the Mad Mouse always looked so questionable, to me :?
apparently the Mad Mouse sold for the bargain price of $150,000. One of the carriages is being kept in a Showgrounds museum, and another is being donated for auction to raise funds for athletes to go to Beijing.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by Queen Anne » Wed May 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Wow, thanks Wayno. Interesting after-life for the old Mad Mouse, then!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by Norman » Wed May 07, 2008 8:50 pm

Wayno wrote:
Queen Anne wrote:The story says the Mad Mouse was demolished, and then goes on to say it was sold to the Newcastle show.

Am I missing something? I would have thought demolition was more likely than a move..the Mad Mouse always looked so questionable, to me :?
the risk of death was always an attraction with the Mad Mouse! i'm almost jealous of Newcastle :-)
Don't be. Newcastle is a shithole (and, yes, I have been there, so I know what I'm talking about).

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: $35m for exhibition hall

#49 Post by Xaragmata » Sun May 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Lots of activity on site yesterday, & exhibition hall coming along well.
Some pics at http://www.xaragmata.thebbs.org/album/a ... ll-01.html

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by Norman » Sun May 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks for the pics Xaragmata!

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by ReallyBad » Sun May 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Wayville is looking very modern now, and once this is done hopefully we can get some high quality exhibitions - bigger and better Car Show comes to mind - possibly a big IT exhibition as well would be good. I think this hall will make it possible to do this now.

Great pics BTW.
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by monotonehell » Sun May 18, 2008 3:57 pm

ReallyBad wrote:Wayville is looking very modern now...
Ironically architecturally speaking, the old Duncan Hall is in the Modern style, while the new design will be post-modern. It's funny how the word "modern" doesn't mean contemporary in design terms but has come to mean it in the vernacular.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#53 Post by rhino » Mon May 19, 2008 9:23 am

monotonehell wrote:
Ironically architecturally speaking, the old Duncan Hall is in the Modern style, while the new design will be post-modern. It's funny how the word "modern" doesn't mean contemporary in design terms but has come to mean it in the vernacular.
So when will contemporary design have gone beyond futuristic?
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 19, 2008 1:08 pm

rhino wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Contemporary just means "of now". So what's contemporary this year is history the next.

What's futuristic? Nothing. Any design that's considered futuristic is rooted in the now. So in a few years time what looked futuristic now will look lame then. Take for example what people thought looked futuristic in the 1950s, now it just looks like a joke. Even short term ideas of the future are ephemeral. Look at what we thought was futuristic in 2002, see much brushed aluminium and blue LEDs these days? ;)

The only design school to have survived for many years that still looks contemporary today is some aspects of Bauhaus. Simple lines and using materials' inherent properties still are the foundations of many designs.

rhino

#55 Post by rhino » Mon May 19, 2008 2:54 pm

Thank you Mono. My comment was made tongue-in-cheek because contemporary design is considered post-modern, and modern design is now considered old. Logically, then, when post-modern design is considered old, futuristic design could be contemporary. Or perhaps it will be called Late Post-Modern.
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 19, 2008 3:02 pm

rhino wrote:Thank you Mono. My comment was made tongue-in-cheek because contemporary design is considered post-modern, and modern design is now considered old. Logically, then, when post-modern design is considered old, futuristic design could be contemporary. Or perhaps it will be called Late Post-Modern.
*Head 'splodes!*

I had an idea you were being sarcastic, but had to take your post at face value :lol:

Actually ... *takes deep breath* we're way past post-modern, or even post-post-modern, with contemporary design being a synthesis of the post-modern playful aesthetic coupled with the neo-realist zeitgeist through the filter of post '90's recession functionality mindset. *wheeze*

Which all adds up to a tonne of :wank:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by AtD » Mon May 19, 2008 3:23 pm

That post summarises why I dropped out of architecture.

Omicron

#58 Post by Omicron » Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 am

monotonehell wrote:
rhino wrote:
monotonehell wrote: Ironically architecturally speaking, the old Duncan Hall is in the Modern style, while the new design will be post-modern. It's funny how the word "modern" doesn't mean contemporary in design terms but has come to mean it in the vernacular.
Contemporary just means "of now". So what's contemporary this year is history the next.

What's futuristic? Nothing. Any design that's considered futuristic is rooted in the now. So in a few years time what looked futuristic now will look lame then. Take for example what people thought looked futuristic in the 1950s, now it just looks like a joke. Even short term ideas of the future are ephemeral. Look at what we thought was futuristic in 2002, see much brushed aluminium and blue LEDs these days? ;)

The only design school to have survived for many years that still looks contemporary today is some aspects of Bauhaus. Simple lines and using materials' inherent properties still are the foundations of many designs.
Googie architecture is fantastic!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Omicron wrote:Googie architecture is fantastic!
Meet George Jetson.
His boy Elroy.
Daughter, Judy.
Jane, his wife...

;)

Omicron

#60 Post by Omicron » Thu May 22, 2008 12:20 am

monotonehell wrote:
Omicron wrote:Googie architecture is fantastic!
Meet George Jetson.
His boy Elroy.
Daughter, Judy.
Jane, his wife...

;)
A most enjoyable show. 8)