[PRO] [Sellicks Hill] Buddhist Temple | 35m | 6lvls | $15m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] [Sellicks Hill] Buddhist Temple | 35m | 6lvls | $15m

#1 Post by Will » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm

From the Messenger:
$15m Buddhist Temple for Sellicks Hill

Local News06 Jan 09 @ 05:30am by Jai Bednall

Pagoda at Buddhist at Nan Tien Temple at Wollongong, 12/99. Pic Andy Baker.

THE developers behind a proposal to build a $15 million Buddhist Temple at Sellicks Hill which includes a statue of Buddha as tall as a six-storey building are not expecting significant community opposition to their plans.

Nan Hai Pu Tuo Temple of Australia Inc has begun its second attempt to build the complex on a 55ha site between Main South Rd and the coast more than 10 years after it withdrew plans for the temple, following objections from some locals.

Spokesman Lee Chew said the most recent plans, which include a 35m high pagoda and 18m high bronze statue of Buddha, were ``pretty much the same’’ as the first proposal.

``I don’t think we’ll experience the same type of objection as previously experienced,’’ he said.

``People are starting to realise we are a peace-loving organisation, we’re not there to harm anybody.’’

Mr Chew said the complex would provide educational, social and moral support to the Buddhist community and be an international tourist attraction.

``There will be nuns to provide counselling for migrant women and an education centre for year 11 and 12 students to come and learn about Chinese culture.’’

The design includes a Chinese memorial garden, living quarters for 10 monks and car parking spaces for visitors.

The original proposal, lodged in 1997, divided the local community and drew criticism because of its size.

Some of the objections to the temple were branded as racist, and a war of words was played out between monastery supporters and detractors in the letters
pages of the Southern Times Messenger.

Sellicks Beach woman Sharon Prance opposed the proposal when it was first lodged because of concerns over sewerage management.

``If it’s the same proposal they had in last time I’d be against it, but until I’ve seen (the new proposal) I can’t really make much comment,’’ she said. The project
has been granted major development status by the State Government.

The developers will be required to prepare a report for the Development Assessment Commission addressing the economic, environmental and social
implications of the project.

Once this is completed the public will be consulted, submissions will be invited and an on-site meeting held.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: #PRO - Buddhist Temple - 6 levels - 35m - Sellicks Hill

#2 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:10 pm

So it's about 50km south of the city (approx)?

Hmm, I'm interested. Firstly because I identify as a Buddhist, and secondly because it will be an interesting thing in of itself. There are a few things that I noted about the proposal, though-

1- they say that it will educate people in 'Chinese Buddhism". That is odd- most Buddhists are schooled in the Theravada tradition, or the Mahayana tradition. I'm personally a bit of a hybrid between Mahayana and Japanese Zen. However, a lot of those doctrinal arguments are really :wank: and I probably wouldn't care.

2- I'm always wary of anything that's grandiose. A giant Buddha statue is always something that grated for me- going to Japan and the whole 'ooh look at the statue' approach that was done for these temples was just agonisingly superficial- at least when I went to the church of the sepulchure (sp?) a majority people knew the significance of what they were seeing.

3- Related to that is the idea that it would be a tourist attraction. If I'm there, I don't want people cooing at how interesting and crazy these Buddhists are. Though it would teach me patience. [/rant]

Overall I'm very in favour of this project and would like to see it go ahead. It certainly would be interesting.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by aussie2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:22 pm

First of all im Christian, but Buddhism is a peaceful religion and I think it will be good for Adelaide, I would defiantly visit once built :D

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:23 pm

I loved visiting all the temples in Malaysia, and I think you do feel calm and at peace inside them - either that or all the incense getting to my head :)

The Buddhist community in SA are a really peaceful and quite bunch, you usually don't hear anything from them, but they did a fantastic job of raising money for the victims of the china earthquakes not so long ago. I think they raised more here than nearly anywhere else in Australia.

If anyone wants to see one of the best temples in the state, goto May Terrace Ottoway. It's open to the public.

This one's got my thumbs up for sure.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by aussie2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:24 pm

as in Canada?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:29 pm

As in Ottoway near Grand Junction Road.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=e ... 8&t=h&z=18

Here's a couple pics I thought i'd share of the temples I photographed in Malaysia.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:04 pm

so if approved, does it mean i could build a 6 storey personal residence at Sellicks Hill? or is special dispensation granted to religious buildings?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by aussie2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Howie wrote:As in Ottoway near Grand Junction Road.
Wow thats pretty cool Howie, just looked at it in street view! might have to take a visit!!

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by Omicron » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:09 pm

aussie2000 wrote:
Wow thats pretty cool Howie, just looked at it in street view! might have to take a visit!!
The nearby Al-Khalil mosque on Torrens Rd., Woodville North (directly opposite Cheltenham Racecourse) is an interesting visit too, if you ever get the chance. I don't know how easy it is to just drop in and be shown around (I visited as part of a school group a few years back), but you might be able to.

More temples I say. From a purely architectural perspective, their ornate style is so rare these days.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#10 Post by rev » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Omicron wrote:
aussie2000 wrote:
The nearby Al-Khalil mosque on Torrens Rd., Woodville North (directly opposite Cheltenham Racecourse) is an interesting visit too, if you ever get the chance. I don't know how easy it is to just drop in and be shown around (I visited as part of a school group a few years back), but you might be able to.

More temples I say. From a purely architectural perspective, their ornate style is so rare these days.
That mosque is so out of place with the surrounding properties, and will probably look even more out of place when the housing dev across the road is completed.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

[PRO] #PRO Sellicks Hill Buddhist Temple | 55ha | 35m | $15 mill

#11 Post by iTouch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:58 pm

AN imposing 35m high pagoda and 18m bronze Buddha statue are one step closer to being built on an idyllic beach setting at Sellicks Hill.

Residents have been quiet on the proposed development, but community leaders expect concerns to be raised now that the project is progressing.

The two symbolic structures will be part of a $15 million Buddhist temple development on a 55ha site between Main South Rd and the coast that also includes four shrines, accommodation for resident masters, retirement accommodation and public Chinese Memorial Gardens.

The development for Nan Hai Pu Tuo Temple of Australia Inc was designed to meet feng shui principles and to be environmentally sustainable.

Yankalilla mayor Peter Whitford said the general feeling in the area was that people were not upset about the development but he expected people in the Aldinga and Sellicks areas would have a problem with it.

"We agree they're decent people and would rather have them there than a bikie fortress," he said. "It's always been a bit of a controversial issue ... I think there will be a bit of reaction to it."

Onkaparinga ward councillor for the Wine Coast area, George Apap, said he had only heard a few comments about the project recently but they were generally against it.

The proposed development was first lodged in 1997 and divided the local community but was withdrawn the following year.

In 2008, it was declared a major project by Planning Minister Paul Holloway.

The Development Assessment Commission later determined a Development Report was required to identify issues including environmental impact, design and visual amenity. The report in now complete and the public is invited to make submission until the consultation period ends on November 8.

The temple's spokesman Lee Chew said the temple had much to offer the local community.

"We hope that people will accept the project as one that would benefit the state, the community in that area and attract tourism," he said.

"This temple can be an education centre for students of religious studies and educate anyone about the practice of Buddhism and Chinese culture."

Mr Chew said it would also act as a place where migrants could go to speak to a religious leader for confidential advice.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: #PRO Sellicks Hill Buddhist Temple | 55ha | 35m | $15 mi

#12 Post by ghs » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:30 pm

This one seems like a strange development to me.

Firstly I think there are very few buddhist people here in Adelaide. Most of the Immigrants
here are either Sikh, Muslim, Hindu or Christian.

Secondly the location is not good. The few buddhist people who do live here probably wouldn't
be that keen on going down to Sellicks Hill.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Wayno » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:03 pm

My brother and his wife are buddhist - apparently there's quite a large contingent in Adelaide suburbia.

Minister Holloway granted major development status. Err why?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by dsriggs » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:39 am

Where do buddhists come up with $15m?

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by Paulns » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:16 am

Question -
dsriggs wrote:Where do buddhists come up with $15m?
Answer -
Wayno wrote:My brother and his wife are buddhist - apparently there's quite a large contingent in Adelaide suburbia.

Its not just the Asian Community in "Modern", Australia that are Buddhists these days...
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".