[PRO] [Sellicks Hill] Buddhist Temple | 35m | 6lvls | $15m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Benski81
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: #PRO Sellicks Hill Buddhist Temple | 55ha | 35m | $15 mi

#16 Post by Benski81 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 am

ghs wrote:This one seems like a strange development to me.

Firstly I think there are very few buddhist people here in Adelaide. Most of the Immigrants
here are either Sikh, Muslim, Hindu or Christian.

Secondly the location is not good. The few buddhist people who do live here probably wouldn't
be that keen on going down to Sellicks Hill.
Yeah I don't know that that's true, my fiance's parents are buddhist and they seem to have quite a few buddhist friends. From what I can tell there's actually a surprising number of people that subscribe to that faith here. A lot of the vietnamese here are buddhist for example, so much so that isn't there a temple on Salisbury highway near kings rd and a few more in the western suburbs?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by monotonehell » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:04 am

According to census data there's actually more Buddhist practitioners (21,726) in Adelaide than Muslim (9,666), Hindu (4,867) or Jewish (949), or Sikhist (806) practitioners.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Wayno » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:42 am

monotonehell wrote:According to census data there's actually more Buddhist practitioners (21,726) in Adelaide than Muslim (9,666), Hindu (4,867) or Jewish (949), or Sikhist (806) practitioners.
ok mono, you got me interested. Here's the profile - SA wide:
religions-in-sa.jpg
religions-in-sa.jpg (86.8 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by dsriggs » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:29 am

Interesting that in "The City Of Churches" that "No Religion" wins out.

metro
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by metro » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:45 pm

dsriggs wrote:Interesting that in "The City Of Churches" that "No Religion" wins out.
only if you dont add all the other religions together, the number of "religious" in Adelaide would outnumber the "un-religious"

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by ghs » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:13 pm

806 people in SA follow the Sikh religion.

I am sorry to inform you but this stat is along way out. A lot of the Indian's who live in
Adelaide are Sikh. They're the ones who drive taxis and wear the turbans. They're everywhere
and there's a lot more than 800 of them here.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:39 pm

ghs wrote:I am sorry to inform you but this stat is along way out.
The census data is at 2006.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Ben » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:56 am

I wouldn't trust that data as a lot of people would as a "joke" write down their religion as one of these as unfortunatly a lot of people don't take the census seriously.

On a side note Buddhists are generally peaceful people aren't they?

Mants
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Mants » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:50 pm

on another side note, it's a bit of the flavour of the month to call oneself buddhist.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by monotonehell » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:02 am

Ben wrote:On a side note Buddhists are generally peaceful people aren't they?
People are generally peaceful regardless of their religion. It's local circumstances and not religious belief that drives people to violence. If you watch the World news you would have noted quite a few non peaceful events recently involving people who regard themselves as Buddhist.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: #PRO - Buddhist Temple - 6 levels - 35m - Sellicks Hill

#26 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Has anyone heard anything about this? From what I gather from here, things seem to be moving slowly.

Dr-T
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#27 Post by Dr-T » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:05 am

peas_and_corn wrote:Has anyone heard anything about this? From what I gather from here, things seem to be moving slowly.
Having spoken to Planning SA people before that site can be anywhere up to 6 weeks behind the times but my gut feeling agrees.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Will » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:00 pm

From the Advertiser:
South Australia's Nan Hai Pu Tuo Temple close to approval

by: Bryan Littley From: The Advertiser September 28, 2011 3:02AM

An artist's impression of the planned Nan Hai Pu Tuo Temple. Source: Supplied

PATIENCE is a virtue ... and a trait Buddhist monk Yi Jue's community has needed in their quest to build their temple.

Now, South Australia's Nan Hai Pu Tuo Temple community is getting some good karma as it closes in on approval for its temple complex after a wait of almost 15 years.

The association this week lodged its response document to concerns over its plan to build the complex at its spectacular Cactus Canyon site on Sellicks Hill.

Yesterday, Yankalilla Council mayor Paul Newman gave the proposal to build the complex - including a 35m-high pagoda, an 18m bronze Buddha, a temple and Chinese gardens - his blessing. "The Yankalilla Council put the proposal out for community consultation and there was not a great deal of response," Mr Newman said.

"Of the responses we did get, it was all positive. Our council has supported the application. We are, after all, a multicultural society."

But the final decision rests with Planning Minister John Rau who is expected to soon hand down an assessment on the project, which was granted major project status in 2008.

The complex has been designed to align with with the hills and the sea and according to feng shui principles.

Buddhist monks and nuns will provide counselling and run meditation and relaxation classes.

Concerns about the project, which is expected to attract up to 22,000 tourists a year, have come from residents in Onkaparinga Council which is overlooked by the site. Onkaparinga mayor Lorraine Rosenberg said the two main issues raised by the council in its submission related to traffic management and waste-water management but she believed these had been addressed by the developers.

The council also listed the visual impact of the site as a concern and said this reflected the concerns of residents in the Sellicks area.

A spokesman for Mr Rau said the Department of Planning had received a response document from the Nan Hai Pu Tuo Temple Association "a few days ago".

"The department does an assessment report and that goes to the minister," the spokesman said.

At a meeting almost a year ago, about 50 concerned residents raised issues of traffic safety, visual amenity and noise at the 55ha site to be addressed by the developers.

Association spokesman Lee Chew could not be contacted for comment.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: PRO: [Sellicks Hill] Buddhist Temple | 35m | 6lvls | $15

#29 Post by Wayno » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:21 am

Is this Buddhist temple under construction yet? Hoping an S-A member down Aldinga way will upload pictures here, please :-)

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: PRO: [Sellicks Hill] Buddhist Temple | 35m | 6lvls | $15

#30 Post by neoballmon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Last time I was down there (which was several months) they looked to be pretty close to finishing the roadworks to add in the turning lane/accelleration lane from South Road. So I would guess if that's finished by now, construction would be started.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!