PRO: [Kent Town] Park Central | 15lvls | $120m | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: 9Lv $50M Apartments - Kent Town

#31 Post by Wayno » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:34 pm

frank1 wrote:That's probably what people said about the brewery apartments when they were first built. In another 20 years when another project for kent town is proposed, it will look out of place with this new one.
It's not a matter of a new apartment block looking out of place compared to an existing nearby set of apartments, it's a matter of the new proposal looking oddly out of place when compared against "the entire surrounding area". Paradoxically there's probably nothing the council can do about this...

Here's a few past quotes from others in this forum - seems to be a theme here...
Is that all glass? Id prefer if it were that sandstone colour like its "neighbouring" buildings.
It is interesting that the proposal is "out of character" with abutting buildings....<snip>
I quite like the Brewery Apartments, so I would hope that any future development across the road is more than just a glass box with balconies...<snip>
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by frank1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Wayno wrote:
frank1 wrote:That's probably what people said about the brewery apartments when they were first built. In another 20 years when another project for kent town is proposed, it will look out of place with this new one.
It's not a matter of a new apartment block looking out of place compared to an existing nearby set of apartments, it's a matter of the new proposal looking oddly out of place when compared against "the entire surrounding area". Unfortunately there's probably nothing the council can do about this...

Here's a few past quotes from others in this forum - seems to be a theme here...
Is that all glass? Id prefer if it were that sandstone colour like its "neighbouring" buildings.
It is interesting that the proposal is "out of character" with abutting buildings....<snip>
I quite like the Brewery Apartments, so I would hope that any future development across the road is more than just a glass box with balconies...<snip>
Got Ya :wink:

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by ynotsfables » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Will wrote:This one is not dead!

From the updated Urban Construct website, this one is still listed as a future project. Just how Urban Construct never gave up with Latitude, it appears that they have not with this one.

Larger image too:

Absolutely marvelous i'll give it the thumbs up. :D

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by Omicron » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:27 am

Not bad, but the Malthouse Building across the street does a better job of fitting into its surroundings, and that's 6 years after its construction. I don't mind this new development being of a different style, but at the moment it seems rather uninspiring.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by AtD » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:57 am

This is called "Park Central" by the way.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by Brando » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:16 am

I like this proposal. Not just a glass box, looks to me like the use of timber slats on parts of the building and the use of sandstone colours will help break up and blend it with surroundings, a good addition.

ABC building anyone? Horrendous looking. We need to encourage more 'modern' multistory buidings outside of the CBD.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#37 Post by adam73837 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:26 am

I agree with Brando, the apartments look great and I also agree with the issue about the ABC Building. It sticks out like a sore thumb. We really should encourage more modern buildings.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by Pistol » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:02 pm

ABC has an AIR apartment redevelopment written all over it. I can see it from my balcony so it would have awesome views back over the city. Time for ABC to move into the city me thinks.

BTW I think that this development looks great. We don't need all buildings to fit in with their surroundings - there does need to be contrast out there. I can see buyers lining up to get in on this proposal
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#39 Post by skyliner » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:17 pm

Will wrote:This one is not dead!

From the updated Urban Construct website, this one is still listed as a future project. Just how Urban Construct never gave up with Latitude, it appears that they have not with this one.

Larger image too:

Glad it is still a goer. I like it but there is a rather odd juxtaposition of buildings there - the one in the front looks out of place. However, such developments as this are not conservatist/nimby poison as the bldg already exists as I understand - with need of cleansing of asbestos content. (i stand corrected on this one however).

FAR BETTER THAN AN ABANDONED EYESORE. (Take a look at the old Mount Gambier hospital.).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#40 Post by adam73837 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Pistol78 wrote:
ABC has an AIR apartment redevelopment written all over it. I can see it from my balcony so it would have awesome views back over the city. Time for ABC to move into the city me thinks.
I agree that the ABC should move into the city and I also think that that building should be redeveloped. As Pistol78 stated, it would have awesome views over the city. It may also promote more buildings of that type to be built around that area.
BTW does anybody know what they're doing to the old SGIC Building on Victoria Square (which I think look like a rectangular-shaped block of cement).
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by Brando » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:18 pm

adam73837 wrote:

BTW does anybody know what they're doing to the old SGIC Building on Victoria Square (which I think look like a rectangular-shaped block of cement).
Here is the thread and info here for you mate.
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=7&t=1094

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by SRW » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:56 am

Now that we can see what this looks like, I don't think I really like it...it just says 'dated' to me. I hope for clearer renders (different perspectives at least). The height is reasonable though.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:53 pm

What a conundrum! A council can restrict DA's with respect to height, coverage, etc but have their hands tied when it comes to style - which is something these Apartments definitely lack (imho)

As an example, i live in the Mitcham council area on a lovely street full of circa-1900 federation cottages. A beaut old place a few doors down was recently sold, bulldozed, and the new owners created a 1970's looking monstrosity (for gods sake!) which even they are embarrassed about. "Didn't turn out how we hoped" was what they said...Many people on my street complained about the design to the council who admitted they could do nothing about it (and even the council DA staff thought it was ugly prior to approval being granted!). The point being we have to live with it for the next 20 years. Makes me cringe every time i walk past...

Don't get me wrong. I love new buildings and i'm happily to see any old place bulldozed in the name of progress - but we only get one chance and its such a shame to stuff it up.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

urban
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by urban » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:20 am

Most development plans contain references to form, proportion, scale, bulk, fenestration, articulation etc. These are all terms which planners love to throw about but unfortunately because they have no design training they generally don't know how to apply or enforce such requirements. Former development assessment boards consisting entirely of councillors were even less equipped to deal with these terms. The new boards which generally have architects on board are in a better position to deal with these issues and hopefully we should see an improvement in this situation.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:10 am

Wayno wrote:This is too "modern" for my liking - especially in kent town - i'd much prefer a softer looking tower of apartments (like the ones in the brewery which are empathetic to the surrounds and don't glaringly stand out). This even makes the 2 storey federation house in front look out of place :-(
I've changed my mind! i'm now happy with the notion of a modern glass tower like the one proposed here...it's actually the old federation house fronting onto dequetteville tce that's out of place!!!

I was in kent town yesterday and can see how the whole suburb could be transformed by 20 or more of these high-rise apartment blocks. There's very little in the way of federation housing in the suburb (especially towards the northern end). It's mainly light-industrial.

Also, Kent Town could be a good destination for a tram once a few large apartments blocks are in place.