#COM: Cumberland Park Shopping Centre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: APP: Cumberland Park Shopping Centre Redevelopment

#16 Post by Pants » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:43 am

Ok, TWENTY POINTS!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:20 pm

i was speaking to Mitcham Council on the phone today (about some other stuff), and also asked about this project. They apparently have renders on show in their foyer, but nothing available online, and they offered no commitment to publish online.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vormund
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by Vormund » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:05 pm

I can't help but feel they should have demolished the whole lot and build a double storey building on top. Would have been devastating for the businesses on that block though.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Pants » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Had a very quick look at some black and white renders/elevations at the council offices today.

As far as retail developments go it's not too bad.

kimsd
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#20 Post by kimsd » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Does anyone know what will happen to the small group of shops on the corner of Goodwood and Cross roads and also the other group across the other side (I think bakery, travel agent and car yard)? Surely they will have to go as they pretty run down as well.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Does anyone have some more info on this?

Cheers :D
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#22 Post by advantix » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:12 am

The group of shops on the corner of Goodwood and Cross Roads and the other group by Woolworths are not owned by Woolworths Limited, thus they are not part of the redevelopment and will be staying.

normy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#23 Post by normy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:32 pm

renders attached.......finally

this is going out for tender in the next couple of weeks with the aim of significantly on site in January
Attachments
110830 Big W Airlock 03.jpg
110830 Big W Airlock 03.jpg (124.45 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
110830 WW Airlock 001.jpg
110830 WW Airlock 001.jpg (489.17 KiB) Viewed 5535 times

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Massive improvement on what is currently there, still not what I would call impressive though. Looks like a stock standard Woolies redevelopment.

It’s a shame this didn’t start earlier this year. I had been planning to do my Yr 12 Geography assignment on the redevelopment :wallbash:
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by mutt » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 am

wonder if they'll incorporate a liquor store :sly:

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Just build it » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:22 pm

The Woolworths is ok but only the bare minimum of what you'd expect. The Remand Centre inspired BigW is dreadful.

Basically new mediocrity replacing the old but at least it'll be clean which will make a nice change.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#27 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:26 am

As one of my esteemed colleagues used to say, "Why strive for perfection when mediocrity is within reach?"

He no longer works with us.
cheers,
Rhino

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Unfortunatly atleast a year away still.
$21m for Cumberland Park shops upgrade

Local News16 Jul 12 @ 10:00am by Tim Williams

A $21 MILLION upgrade of the Cumberland Park Shopping Centre, including an underground carpark, will start this time next year.

The redevelopment will include rebuilding the Woolworths supermarket at almost twice its existing size, and enlarging and refurbishing the Big W.

In May 2011, Mitcham Council rejected Woolworths' original proposal, which did not include a basement carpark and would have resulted in a loss of 16 parking spaces.

A revised proposal, with the basement carpark boosting the spaces from 460 to 554, was approved last December.

The approval was subject to Woolworths supplying details of ventilation for the basement and a suitable construction plan.

A Woolworths spokeswoman said the company was yet to submit that information to the council.

"We are currently working through the details," she said.

"However (we) hope to be underway by mid next year."

Construction would take up to a year, she said.

Under the revised plan, shoppers would no longer be able to drive into the centre from Cross Rd. Entry to the underground carpark would be from Little St.

More street trees would be planted along Little and Eaton streets, plus large shade trees within the existing carpark.

The council said the small businesses at the northern and southern ends of the centre would not be affected by the development.

Woolworths and Big W have operated on the site since 1977 and no substantial improvements have been made to the centre since.

Six of the seven people who responded to public consultation on the project were in favour.

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#29 Post by advantix » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Woolworths is projected to cease trading at the end of this year and the redevelopment will follow commencing early January 2013.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by SRW » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:05 am

I'm surprised they're not relocating their BWS from down the road into this development.
Keep Adelaide Weird