#COM: Cumberland Park Shopping Centre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: APP: Cumberland Park Shopping Centre Redevelopment

#31 Post by neoballmon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:36 pm

It seems they've started demolition of the Woolworths.
Saw this picture from people that work(ed) there on Facebook.

Anyone let me know if the image doesn't show up, as I've directly linked from FB.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#32 Post by advantix » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 pm

A couple of photos from late this afternoon.
Attachments
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG (656.05 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG (140.55 KiB) Viewed 5380 times

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#33 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am

Oh my god, wow. I used to tag along with mother as a kid all the time at that Woolworths and Big W when I was young. It was quite an old dingy, dilapidated shopping centre, so I'm glad that it's being redeveloped. Looking forward to the new complex. And for god's sake, I hope that Woolworths and Big W have self-serve checkouts! I can't remember where I was, but I was at a Woolworths, or a Coles, recently that had just been redone and it didn't even have self serve! :S
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Dvious » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:32 am

There not messing around, i was there last week and they where only just removing stock from the shelves. Now half the stores gone!

Hopefully its a worthwhile upgrade, big w and woolworths there have been such a let down for so many years now.

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#35 Post by advantix » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm

[Shuz] wrote:And for god's sake, I hope that Woolworths and Big W have self-serve checkouts! I can't remember where I was, but I was at a Woolworths, or a Coles, recently that had just been redone and it didn't even have self serve! :S
Both store will be having self-service checkouts. Big W will have around 16 self-service checkouts in addition to the same number of normal checkouts.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by Maximus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:50 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Oh my god, wow. I used to tag along with mother as a kid all the time at that Woolworths and Big W when I was young.
Yes! Lots of childhood memories from that Big W store, shopping with mum for Christmas presents and the like. With this going, and John Martins and the old Harris Scarfe both now gone, I feel like my childhood is being taken away! Of course, the fact that I'm now an adult might also have something to do with it... :lol:

Progress, eh? Sometimes I can't help but feel a small tinge of regret. :?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Maximus wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Oh my god, wow. I used to tag along with mother as a kid all the time at that Woolworths and Big W when I was young.
Yes! Lots of childhood memories from that Big W store, shopping with mum for Christmas presents and the like. With this going, and John Martins and the old Harris Scarfe both now gone, I feel like my childhood is being taken away! Of course, the fact that I'm now an adult might also have something to do with it... :lol:

Progress, eh? Sometimes I can't help but feel a small tinge of regret. :?
Dare I ask, how old are you... and if I may possibly know you?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 am

I have many fond memories of this shopping centre.

When I was 4/5 years old, my Nana used to shop here and I remember trying to navigate the store without stepping on white (or black) tiles. It was quite a challenge!!

Then there was the time I was 7/8 when I ripped my favourite pair of shorts because they became caught on a car in the car park. I stopped wearing shorts after this until recently.

I also went to school (Until last year) 100m from these shops. I have many memories of sneaking out of school to quickly grab something from Woolworths, having to hide from teachers in the process.
And then there are the memories of the car park. Countless school excursions started by boarding a bus in the Woolies car park, not to mention the cold winter (Or hot summer) afternoons spent after school there waiting to be picked up.

Goodbye Woolworths, you will be missed.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#39 Post by Adeguy72 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 pm

I was talking to my mum tonight about cumberland park and she was very insistent that Woolworths haven't always occupied the supermarket at the site.
She remembers Target Supermarket tarding there but I doubt this.
Anyone else have an opinion?

nevillness
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#40 Post by nevillness » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Adeguy72 wrote:I was talking to my mum tonight about cumberland park and she was very insistent that Woolworths haven't always occupied the supermarket at the site.
The Foodland at Castle Plaza was originally a Target Supermarket.

The Foodland at Fulham Gardens, Newton and Sefton Plaza were also Target Supermarkets.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by neoballmon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 pm

A Target Supermarket? Never heard of it..
Interesting that all the locations nevillness mentioned still presently have a present day Target on them. Was it a superstore or something, like the Port Adelaide Coles and Kmart used to be, they were both joined together, before Target sold the supermarket portion to Foodland?
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Ben » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 am

nevillness wrote:
Adeguy72 wrote:I was talking to my mum tonight about cumberland park and she was very insistent that Woolworths haven't always occupied the supermarket at the site.
The Foodland at Castle Plaza was originally a Target Supermarket.

The Foodland at Fulham Gardens, Newton and Sefton Plaza were also Target Supermarkets.

It was actually Arrow not Target ;)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Ben wrote:It was actually Arrow not Target ;)
Yes back in the day a few suburban mini malls had a Target, an Arrow and a Red Apple Family Restaurant along with a few sole traders in the mall part.
Note the William Tell theme in the brand names. :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#44 Post by advantix » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Both Woolworths and Big W have occupied the site since construction of the building in 1977

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#45 Post by Adeguy72 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks - I thought so. My mum was wrong!

I remember Target Supermarkets though - there was even one at Marion.

From memory, they were sold off when Myer ran into financial difficulties in the 80's (before they merged with Coles) and the SA stores (I think there were 6?) were bought by Independent Grocers & rebranded Arrow.

Not sure what happened to the interstate ones.