U/C: [Adelaide Entertainment Centre] Carpark | $11m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Allkai
High Rise Poster!

Re: #PRO : Ent. Centre Upgrade | $50m | (2,500) | Hindmarsh

#61 Post by Allkai » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:15 pm

Something is underway on-site.

I noticed today that the the front plaza area has been hoarded off.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by joshzxzx » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:27 pm

YES...

Hopefully some new development...

I wonder when the tram upgreade will start...
South Australia the Festival State

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#63 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:42 am

joshzxzx wrote:YES...

Hopefully some new development...

I wonder when the tram upgreade will start...
Should start very soon, only a few weeks maybe.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by bm7500 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:22 am

There are a couple of different, medium sized renders of this development on the Hansen Yuncken website: http://www.hansenyuncken.com.au/our-pro ... 1&id=32878

One of the renders partly shows the proximity of the new tram line to the Ent Ctr entrance & it also gives a better perspective of the new 2500 seat venue.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#65 Post by baytram366 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:28 am

Drove past last night while my partner was the Delta concert and from Port Road it looks like a construction zone. I hate to think what it will look like while we are lining up for the P!nk concert in a couple of months. From Port Road it didn't even look like a concert was going on - no people to be seen. But, the renders look great and I hope the finished product will as well. Can't wait to catch a tram there too :)
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: # : Ent. Centre Upgrade | $50m | (2,500) | Hindmarsh

#66 Post by rogue » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:20 pm

Status should be changed to SWP. Demolition nearly complete of the old Rubikon function centre.

Krint
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#67 Post by Krint » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:25 am

First post guys ,hello all!
Think its a good idea the courtyard in front of the ent cent is being put to good use,I just hope they give the existing ent cent a coat of paint to fit in with the new design and Channel 7 building. Otherwise the new extensions might look like a dodgy add on.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #U/C : Ent. Centre Upgrade | $50m | (2,500) | Hindmarsh

#68 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:27 pm

Some pics of the upgrade from last Tuesday ...

Last edited by Xaragmata on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#69 Post by ricecrackers » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:22 pm

oh god it needs it doesnt it.........

the Ent Centre would have to be one of Adelaide's most charmless and compromised buildings.

built around '89 - '90 it looks more like it could've been built in 1939 as a hangar for WWII airstrip
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:14 pm

OK, now if I understand it correctly, the Centre will gain another room about the same size as the one it has now- what's the point of having it? Additionally, will the sound be as awful as in the original?

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#71 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:35 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:OK, now if I understand it correctly, the Centre will gain another room about the same size as the one it has now- what's the point of having it? Additionally, will the sound be as awful as in the original?
it will be a smaller room catering for about 2000 to 3000.

the original Ent Centre was built with the expectation it would be used as a basketball stadium, with arena seating all around. but due to the usual delays and politics we're quite used to in SA, Basketball SA lost patience and built their own cheaper arena during the mean time. (this was during a time when Basketball was selling out 8 to 10000+ arenas across Australia regularly)

what we were left with was a venue that was almost never used to its full capacity, expect for the odd motorcross event... which more often seems to be staged back at Wayville now.

the new room will cater for acts that would draw somewhere between what you would get at Thebarton and the big sellers like Kylie and AC/DC that fill the main arena.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:07 am

S
ricecrackers wrote:
peas_and_corn wrote:OK, now if I understand it correctly, the Centre will gain another room about the same size as the one it has now- what's the point of having it? Additionally, will the sound be as awful as in the original?
it will be a smaller room catering for about 2000 to 3000.

the original Ent Centre was built with the expectation it would be used as a basketball stadium, with arena seating all around. but due to the usual delays and politics we're quite used to in SA, Basketball SA lost patience and built their own cheaper arena during the mean time. (this was during a time when Basketball was selling out 8 to 10000+ arenas across Australia regularly)

what we were left with was a venue that was almost never used to its full capacity, expect for the odd motorcross event... which more often seems to be staged back at Wayville now.

the new room will cater for acts that would draw somewhere between what you would get at Thebarton and the big sellers like Kylie and AC/DC that fill the main arena.
Such a standard Adelaide thing to do i can never understand for the life of me why Adelaide has to build a new stadium or complex for every single sport or activity obviously you can't have one for everyone Eg. Hockey and golf. But why do we have three almost identicle buildings, Ent Centre, ETSA park (netball) and The basketball place? They aren't all used that often. I really think if all three parties shared one of these there would be alot better facilites that everyone could enjoy. This really is the exact same thing as the Adelaide Oval if all parties could compromise and agree and not want to dominate a certain facility everyone could pool their finances together and do something great
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by how_good_is_he » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:55 am

People in the same sports organisation can't agree on things, let alone ones in opposing ones!

I reckon its a bit like sharing a house with room mates, it works out to be a cheaper cost but if you can never get on with each other the money means nothing.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by Pistol » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Netball and basketball used to share the then clipsal powerhouse. You could see that it didn't work.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: #Proposal : Entertainment Centre Upgrade

#75 Post by pushbutton » Fri May 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:The Entertainment Centre is another venue I think should be situated right in the city, but I guess that subject has been discussed at length in the stadium discussions so I won't dwell on it here. At least this is close to the city.

Having said that, if this is to stay where it is this is a fantastic development. I only ask one thing, though. Can they change the name of it? Adelaide Entertainment Centre is just so generic and bland it hurts.
Agreed about the generic name. Needs to be changed to something more interesting, that's for sure.