Cnr South Road and Daws Road, Vacant Site. Former Caryard

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Cnr South Road and Daws Road, Vacant Site. Former Caryar

#31 Post by advantix » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Aidan wrote:But it's not just Shell. Mobil's closed one on Brighton Road. A few have gone from Marion Road, including the one (Liberty I think) that was once Adelaide's biggest. And IIRC two have gone from Darlington.
neoballmoon wrote:As for Darlington, the first one to close was a Mobil, so I guess they found it pointless to keep 2 Mobils, then when they sold the other one to Caltex, I assume it still couldn't compete with the large BP that's just up the road.
Brighton Road doesn't seem to be replaced in the area either.
neoballmoon wrote: Who would think 4 servo's are needed within 50 meters of each other?? Especially in the outter suburbs.
There were actually around 7 services stations at Darlington. 5 adjacent to each other and the other 2 were behind the Flagstaff Hotel. The first two to close were the Old King Neptune site (now a McDonalds) and one in the location where Super Cheap Auto is. These were followed by the BP that was behind the Flagstaff Hotel (now Coromal Caravans). Then Mobil closed between Shell and BP. The other Mobil (behind the Flagstaff) was rebranded a Caltex and has since closed.

There were so many service stations in one cluster, as at its peak Darlington was on the fringe of Adelaide and one of the last stops before Victor Harbor. Also, most other services closed early during the week and were shut on weekends, so if you needed fuel outside of these times the only place you could get it was at Darlington.

There was also a BP at the Sturt/ Oaklands Road intersection (now Westfield car-parking). On South Road there was a BP just before the tram line (city bound), which I think was replaced by the BP at the South Road/ Anzac Highway intersection (since closed to make way for the Gallipoli underpass). There was also another service station on the opposite corner (adjacent to where Pine City was). The shell of the building was retained and relocated, which is housed at the Birdwood Motor Museum.

SCF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#32 Post by SCF » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:11 pm

advantix wrote:There were actually around 7 services stations at Darlington. 5 adjacent to each other and the other 2 were behind the Flagstaff Hotel. The first two to close were the Old King Neptune site (now a McDonalds) and one in the location where Super Cheap Auto is. These were followed by the BP that was behind the Flagstaff Hotel (now Coromal Caravans). Then Mobil closed between Shell and BP. The other Mobil (behind the Flagstaff) was rebranded a Caltex and has since closed.
Interesting. I moved to Flagstaff Hill in 2000 and didn't realize that those sites were once servos, but it makes sense. It's amazing to think that they'd put so many service stations so close to one another.
advantix wrote:There were so many service stations in one cluster, as at its peak Darlington was on the fringe of Adelaide and one of the last stops before Victor Harbor. Also, most other services closed early during the week and were shut on weekends, so if you needed fuel outside of these times the only place you could get it was at Darlington.
Yes, I started driving in the mid 80s and remember they days of limited out of hours petrol availability. Gowing up in the western suburbs I can remember that the only places we'd be able to get petrol out of hours where at the service station in the Airport and from a note operated pump that was at the (now closed) service station on Henley Beach road between Marion and Airport roads (the one with the ROBO wash).
advantix wrote:There was also a BP at the Sturt/ Oaklands Road intersection (now Westfield car-parking).
Um, Sturt and Oaklands roads don't meet. Do you mean Sturt and Morphett? I recall a service station being there, but I can't recall the branding. It's been gone a good 5-6 years now, if not more.

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#33 Post by advantix » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:21 pm

My bad... I meant Sturt and Diagonal Roads, which was closed in the mid to late 90s.

I nearly forgot about the Sturt/ Morphett Road servo, which was a Mobil. I vaguely recall an Ampol on Sturt Road between Diagonal and Morphett as well.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 am

SCF wrote: Yes, I started driving in the mid 80s and remember they days of limited out of hours petrol availability. Gowing up in the western suburbs I can remember that the only places we'd be able to get petrol out of hours where at the service station in the Airport and from a note operated pump that was at the (now closed) service station on Henley Beach road between Marion and Airport roads (the one with the ROBO wash).
Are you me?
cheers,
Rhino