Cnr South Road and Daws Road, Vacant Site. Former Caryard

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: Cnr South Road and Daws Road, Vacant Site. Former Caryar

#16 Post by Eurostar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:08 pm

With both the State and Federal Labor racking up debt I don't think we can afford any new projects like underpasses or overpasses anytime soon until the debt is repaid. As much as the South and Daws Roads need to be fixed up I'd prefer to see South Road and Sturt Road fixed first.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by neoballmon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:55 pm

No doubt it won't happen any time soon, but they can still buy the land now and build in the future, even if in 10 years. Then the main issue would be the Cashies site on the opposite side of Daws Road when the time comes.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:57 am

Has anyone looked into who owns the site currently? Is it just an assumption that the Govt does not already own it? Is the whole block up for sale, or is what's for sale a smaller portion? Is it for sale or lease?
cheers,
Rhino

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by neoballmon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:05 pm

rhino wrote:Has anyone looked into who owns the site currently? Is it just an assumption that the Govt does not already own it? Is the whole block up for sale, or is what's for sale a smaller portion? Is it for sale or lease?
When the lot first went up (not sure if sale or lease), it was advertised as the whole block, but could be divided into 5 different allotments for different owners/tennants. I'm not sure if this is still the case. I haven't paid too much attention recently.

Aidan

#20 Post by Aidan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Eurostar wrote:With both the State and Federal Labor racking up debt I don't think we can afford any new projects like underpasses or overpasses anytime soon until the debt is repaid.
Considering what they're spending on a rail underpass with effectively negative value, I think that's a pathetic excuse. And do you really think grade separating South Road is of so little value that the money would be better spent paying off debt?

At Federal level the case for spending money is even stronger, because they own the Reserve Bank so can borrow as much as they like at an effective cost of zero (though if they borrow a lot, interest rates would need to be slightly higher if inflation's not to rise).
As much as the South and Daws Roads need to be fixed up I'd prefer to see South Road and Sturt Road fixed first.
That shoudn't be too expensive as long as they avoid overengineered solutions.

neoballmon wrote:No doubt it won't happen any time soon, but they can still buy the land now and build in the future, even if in 10 years. Then the main issue would be the Cashies site on the opposite side of Daws Road when the time comes.
Judging by the width of the Emerson overpass, it would lose most of its car park. That issue could be solved by buying up the buildings south of that (which are rather close to South Road) and/or the houses behind it to build a replacement car park.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by neoballmon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Aidan wrote:Judging by the width of the Emerson overpass, it would lose most of its car park. That issue could be solved by buying up the buildings south of that (which are rather close to South Road) and/or the houses behind it to build a replacement car park.
The Emerson goes about that far out from South Road on both sides though, so this means the opposite car yard's selling area and the boat store (?) And mechanic on the other side of South Road. I assume with the way projects are going now (Gallippoli, most roundabouts around NExy etc.) The road is realigned to work with the infrastructure, so they would most likely need the Cash Converters building as well (or more space on the other side), but if they purchase the old Mitsi yard now, that would basically guarantee a western aligned over/underpass, and co firm all other businesses fates.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Lol. From proposing a Coles Express to designing an overpass in under 2 pages. Now just need to incorporate a tram line. :lol:

Please continue. You guys make me smile.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by neoballmon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Give me 5 minutes Wayno :banana:

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by neoballmon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Overpass, with Tolls on it, and a tram line going down Daws Road and a Shell servo on the corner.

I didn't need to demolish Cash Converters because this is not to any kind of scale, but if I did a full birds eye view (not 45degrees), I think it would be gone.

Aidan

#25 Post by Aidan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:58 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Aidan wrote:Judging by the width of the Emerson overpass, it would lose most of its car park. That issue could be solved by buying up the buildings south of that (which are rather close to South Road) and/or the houses behind it to build a replacement car park.
The Emerson goes about that far out from South Road on both sides though, so this means the opposite car yard's selling area and the boat store (?) And mechanic on the other side of South Road. I assume with the way projects are going now (Gallippoli, most roundabouts around NExy etc.) The road is realigned to work with the infrastructure, so they would most likely need the Cash Converters building as well (or more space on the other side), but if they purchase the old Mitsi yard now, that would basically guarantee a western aligned over/underpass, and co firm all other businesses fates.
Actually I was going by total road width, With no significant widening on the other side, Cash Converters would lose most of its car park but the building would be unaffected. With widening on the other side as well the car park could probably be left intact, but I suspect the substation building on the NE side would be expensive to move, and keeping it in place would prevent a straight North-South alignment. But I may well be wrong, and I wouldn't be very surprised if widening on both sides did turn out to be the cheapest option.

Ignore the trends and look at the specifics: the Gallipoli Underpass required more road width than an overpass, both for construction reasons and to accommodate more turning traffic, plus it was built unnecessarily wide. Therefore there was no option but to buy up all the properties on one side. As for most roundabouts around the NEXY, there was room to construct them off line, and doing so is cheaper and less disruptive
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Eurostar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 am

@ Aidan, spending more money and putting us in more debt is irresponsible. This wreckless spending by this State Government has to stop, I really hope the Liberals take over and pays off this debt. Money needs to be put back into health (especially in rural areas).

Aidan

#27 Post by Aidan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 am

Eurostar wrote:@ Aidan, spending more money and putting us in more debt is irresponsible. This wreckless spending by this State Government has to stop, I really hope the Liberals take over and pays off this debt. Money needs to be put back into health (especially in rural areas).
Eurostar, spending money on productive things and putting us in more debt is only irresponsible if it results in difficulty servicing the debt. Do you have any doubts about our ability to service our debt? If the worst came to the worst, there are many taxes we could raise to get the extra revenue needed. But considering the predicted mining revenue for SA, it's very unlikely to come to that.

Reckless spending by the state government is certainly a problem (though last election the opposition were proposing a fair bit of reckless spending of their own, and reckless tax cuts which are just as bad) but I don't regard building an overpass to take South Road over Daws Road to be reckless. Do you?

Considering how bad state Labor are, the next state election would probably be a Liberal landslide were it not for the fact that he public remember how bad the Liberals were last time. Talking our state down by claiming our debt was preventing us from doing anything, a strategy of corporate welfare for some businesses instead of making our state more attractive to all, false economies like a one way expressway that's now costing more to duplicate than it would have to build it properly in the first place, and privatizing electricity in a way that didn't bring much extra revenue but did greatly increase prices and cause supply problems.

The best state government we've had in the last quarter century was the one where Rann had to rely on the support of independents and a National, because it meant every decision got proper scrutiny. So it's not the Libs I'll be supporting at the next state election, it's the Indies, Nats, Greens and Bobcats!

[Shuz]

#28 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 pm

This should be moved to the Visions and Suggestions thread.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Maximus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 pm

neoballmon wrote:Give me 5 minutes Wayno :banana:
Actually took you 30 minutes. I'm disappointed. Do you know how many times I hit F5...???! :P
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Eurostar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:32 pm

I wonder if this site will be a new carwash business, they seem to be popping up in many places now. Is there a truckwash in the south? I know there is one on Grand Junction Road at Regency Park.