COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Proposed - Bay Junction re-development - Glenelg -$60million

#46 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:27 pm

Because I think its right opposite this development and the council want the two sites revamped as it is the main entry point in Glenelg and currently is not a good look.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by bmw boy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:34 pm

aah yes that thing.

sorry I miss read it, thought it said it would be approaching telstra about artwork on this new developement lol. :lol:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:48 pm

lol...

Mants
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by Mants » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:02 pm

there's a render of this in the commercial section of today's tiser, if anyone's got a chance to scan it.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by Brando » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Mants wrote:there's a render of this in the commercial section of today's tiser, if anyone's got a chance to scan it.
Or just check page 3 of this thread...

Mants
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by Mants » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:15 pm

the one in the paper was quite a deal larger. meh.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by AtD » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:41 pm

It's the exact same ad, and the exact same size.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Mants » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 am

my bad, i only saw the render further down on page 3.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#54 Post by SRW » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:17 pm

There was a new render from a Brighton Rd perspective in last week's Guardian Messenger, if anyone's able to scan it. The developer, Taplin, said construction was due to start in late January or February 2008 and be complete at around the same time in 2009.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:31 pm

here is the article:
$65 million boost to Jetty Rd east

Ben Kelly

30Oct07

THE eastern end of Jetty Rd will undergo a major facelift to bring it up to the standard of the Moseley Square end.

The $65 million redevelopment of the Bay Junction Shopping Centre will be completed by about February 2009 after plans were approved at last Wednesday's (October 24) Holdfast Bay Council development assessment panel meeting.

``It's something, in my opinion, that's long overdue the local community deserves new facilities,'' developer Andrew Taplin said.

Mr Taplin said the centre would have about 26 retail shops, a fitness centre, upgraded Wallis Cinema and Woolworths, office space and a three-level car park.

Jetty Rd Main Street Board manager Rod Basto said the ``prime location'' had great potential.

``It will be a welcome addition to the precinct, not only in terms of the facility, but a considerable increase in appearance to the entry to the precinct,'' he said.

``There will be an increase in the number of car parks that will not only service the centre, but the rest of the area.

``It will complement what we already have in terms of the large variety of businesses we have in the precinct.''

Mr Taplin said construction would commence in late January or February next year.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#56 Post by Omicron » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:54 pm

I hope the new development both modernises the lacklustre 'mall' and enhances the wonderful character of the cinemas, especially the lobby areas. The crappy seats in the theatres can go, but please, leave the lovely Art Deco-esque architecture and delightful carpeting and light fittings in the spirit of the era.

tommy_M
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#57 Post by tommy_M » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:10 pm

The redevelopment of the Bay Junction shopping centre is well overdue.
At the moment, the current 'retro' 60s - 70s facilites are well tiered and overutilised.
And the carpark! I know first-hand, that carpark is absolute crap...... its not level, its full of potholes, features a decaying, overgrown 'gardenbed', insufficent drainage and insufficent trolley bays.......
We've had numerous complaints about the carpark, but as Taplin's refuse to touch it until the redevelopment, the potholes will only increase....

Unfortunatly, some current businesses won't return to the location (such as the butchers (moved to dunbarr tce), hair dressers, Haigs, the key cutters and the xanadu), but as there will be more people using the centre, its sure to attract more retailers....

For the reccord, that portable office block is there to accomodate redevelopment staff..... all they need to do is clean the graffiti and broken glass from it.

As you can probably assume, I'm all for the redevelopment. It will make the 'Junction' end of glenelg attractive, functional and create an enjoyable atmosphere for consumers - you must spend money to make money.

Oh and as for the dolphins..... why not - bring em on! At least it would be iconic...

tommy_M
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#58 Post by tommy_M » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:33 pm

Omicron wrote:I hope the new development both modernises the lacklustre 'mall' and enhances the wonderful character of the cinemas, especially the lobby areas. The crappy seats in the theatres can go, but please, leave the lovely Art Deco-esque architecture and delightful carpeting and light fittings in the spirit of the era.
From what im aware, the frontage and lobby of the theatre will remain the same - it should look ghastly alongside the modern steel / glass megastructure.

Lacklustre really sums the mall up. good stuff

dj_fishy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#59 Post by dj_fishy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:21 am

I recently heard that Holdfast Council were getting cold feet due to inadaquate levels of parking allocated for the development and the additional pressures this will have on the larger shortage of parks in Glenelg. Anyone got any news on what is happening with respect to this?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by Will » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:31 am

dj_fishy wrote:I recently heard that Holdfast Council were getting cold feet due to inadaquate levels of parking allocated for the development and the additional pressures this will have on the larger shortage of parks in Glenelg. Anyone got any news on what is happening with respect to this?

Yes, the council is planning to sue or challenge its own Development assessment panel. They claim that it is due to them approving a development with too few carparks, but I suspect that in reality, the council uses the 'carparking' excuse to hide the fact that they are against all forms of development. Because if they were trully concerned about carparking they would have already built the multi-level carpark, which they have been promising since I was in primary school.