[DEF] AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | 52,000

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF] Re: AAMI Stadium to recieve a $100million facelift

#241 Post by jk1237 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:23 pm

we dont lack vision at all in this city, we just lack money. Govt has taken the cheaper and easier option of upgrading the current stadium. What shits me is the dim-wits going on about the money should be spent on hospitals and roads. Sounds familiar ie tramline extension. When will people learn that not every cent of public funds has to be spent on hospitals and bitumen. The arguments about a new stadium close to city are atleast credible, and I wish that would happen but a ball-park figure for this would be around $500 mil, wouldnt it.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#242 Post by JamesXander » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:28 pm

jk1237 wrote:we dont lack vision at all in this city, we just lack money. Govt has taken the cheaper and easier option of upgrading the current stadium. What shits me is the dim-wits going on about the money should be spent on hospitals and roads. Sounds familiar ie tramline extension. When will people learn that not every cent of public funds has to be spent on hospitals and bitumen. The arguments about a new stadium close to city are atleast credible, and I wish that would happen but a ball-park figure for this would be around $500 mil, wouldnt it.

We are building a huge hospital on our best potential land in the state.

Being tight with money is the same as having no vision. AAMI will cost as just as much over the long run as building a new stadium now.

We never think ahead, we never plan. We just do slap stick jobs. Stupid pointless things. Then we accept them and keep upgrading them. Why do we have a basketball stadium, why do we have a netball stadium & and entertainment centre when Melbourne has all three in one. like wtf.

Why can't we get a huge redevelopement in our city, why can't we build 'new' buildings in North Adealide. We lack vision and we can't accept progress. Ever wondered why people say 'Oh adelaide seems to be stuck in the 1970's'.

Its true.

We are a group of old flogs

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#243 Post by jk1237 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:39 pm

well Id love a new stadium near the city, but I will watch Port at whatever standard stadium no matter where it is located. It is a bit of a luxury to build a new stadium just because we dont 'like' Football Park anymore. Just build a rail spur to AAMI, this will also benefit West Lakes Mall.
At last this will take The Advertisers attention of negative tram extension stories.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#244 Post by cruel_world00 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:41 pm

jk1237 wrote:well Id love a new stadium near the city, but I will watch Port at whatever standard stadium no matter where it is located. It is a bit of a luxury to build a new stadium just because we dont 'like' Football Park anymore. Just build a rail spur to AAMI, this will also benefit West Lakes Mall.
At last this will take The Advertisers attention of negative tram extension stories.

I think there is more to just "not liking" the ground.

Although as a city, we need developments that set us apart, we should also be looking at successful developments in other cities and working them to our own advantage too. Generally why "Southbank" and "Docklands" are mentioned in the same breath as "new centralised city stadium"

Mants
Legendary Member!

#245 Post by Mants » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:49 pm

with petrol and electricity the price it is, i think there should be a push towards inner city living as well as making facilities such as stadiums and other similar buildings more centralised. it's just logical.
some people simply cannot afford to drive to AAMI. as well as this, public transport can also be unreliable and uncomfortable for many people. for the majority of south australians, the city is MUCH more accessible than west lakes.

a rail line to AAMI would also attract people to the westfield mall at west lakes, in turn deterring people from shopping in the city.

i just cannot see any real reasons why we should continue to throw money at this abomination. in fact, i can see quite the opposite.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#246 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:22 am

Tyler_Durden wrote:Has anyone actually considered the other side of this discussion? And that is that a stadium in the city would attract less people on a consistent basis simply because Adelaide people being what they are often stay home if they can't drive and park nearby.
People generally don't take public transport because it's a pain in the butt, especially when trying to get to Footy Park. However, it is convenient to catch it when attending an event in the city. Have you ever been on a train when Skyshow, Schutzenfest or the Royal Show are on? Every time I have, the train has been packed to the rafters. Why was that? The train takes you basically to the doorstep of where you're going. Plus not only is it cheaper than driving and parking, it probably is quicker when you factor in the time it takes to find a car park and then walk to where you're going.

Howie's right... this is just pure politics. The SANFL, Crows and Port are all getting money as a reward for publicly not siding with the opposition's alternative, and $100 million is probably just the right amount to spend to drastically overcapitalise the site and destroy any prospect of a city stadium being a viable prospect - although mind you, if I were running one of those organisations I'd probably also toe the government line if it meant I was going to get a few million thrown my way!

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#247 Post by omada » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:54 am

Why should we spend public money just so people can watch a bunch of meatheads running around with an unusually shaped ball? :wink:

Was the new docklands stadium public or privately funded?

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#248 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Bulldozer wrote:People generally don't take public transport because it's a pain in the butt, especially when trying to get to Footy Park. However, it is convenient to catch it when attending an event in the city. Have you ever been on a train when Skyshow, Schutzenfest or the Royal Show are on? Every time I have, the train has been packed to the rafters. Why was that? The train takes you basically to the doorstep of where you're going. Plus not only is it cheaper than driving and parking, it probably is quicker when you factor in the time it takes to find a car park and then walk to where you're going.
How exactly is the situation of catching public transport to the city any different from catching the Footy Express? Everything you've written above applies exactly the same way to Footy Express. In fact, Footy Express buses run more frequently, run closer to your destination, and are cheaper (Footy Express is free if you have a game ticket). So by your own criteria aswell as anyone else's the Footy Express is a more convenient service. Of that there can be no doubt.

Look, I'd prefer a city stadium, but the facts are that the Footy Express Service is a great service and is the equal of, if not better than, city bound public transport. I'm not going to pretend otherwise just to suit my argument.
omada wrote:Was the new docklands stadium public or privately funded?
Privately. I'm not exactly sure how it works but as part of the AFL's leasing arrangement they will eventually take full owenership of the stadium.

Of course that doesn't mean that the Vic and even Fed Governments didn't contribute. I'm sure there would've been a Government contribution.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#249 Post by Brando » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:36 pm

If a light rail extention through the city cost over $30 million for 1.2km in length, then how much will it cost to AAMI Stadium?

$100 million to so called 'upgrade' the stadia facilities and add on the new transport link. Why?

Surely it makes more sense to build a new stadium in the city where all suburbs are generally seviced with existing public transport to the city.

At the end of the day, as many have pointed out with soaring fuel prices, it seems logical in every respect to encourage the further use of public transport.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#250 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:42 pm

$300 million has been thrown around for light rail to aami and possibly port adelaide/outer harbor too.

That money needs to be spent tho - we have to electrify our train system anyway.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#251 Post by Shuz » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:46 pm

muzzamo wrote:$300 million has been thrown around for light rail to aami and possibly port adelaide/outer harbor too.

That money needs to be spent tho - we have to electrify our train system anyway.
$220m for the line, $105m for the order of 15 trams to service it.

What still isn't clear though is whether it will utilise the Outer Harbor rail corridor or the Port Road median.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#252 Post by how_good_is_he » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:20 pm

What do you think would be the preferred rail route to West Lakes. Would it be from Grange terminus down Military Road or the Seaton Park terminus down West Lakes Boulevard or another way. I note both have a lot of established palm trees planted down their median strips.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#253 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:12 pm

From Seaton Park of course, down West Lakes Boulevard. It would be a waste of time making it go both up and down Military road first.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#254 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:28 pm

I guess another way would be from seaton park station down trimmer parade then tennyson golf course?

If this does turn out to be a budget announcement tomorrow, we should know then

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#255 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:54 pm

Norman wrote:From Seaton Park of course, down West Lakes Boulevard. It would be a waste of time making it go both up and down Military road first.
That would be Albert Park Station, would it not?

I was thinking the cheapest/easiest option would be from Seaton Park station, along the northern boundary of the Royal Adelaide Golf Club (just to the south of Trimmer Pde), then fly over the Trimmer Pde / Frederick Rd junction, through some compulsorily aquisitioned houses, and north along the eastern edge of the Grange Golf Club. This may have been what Muzzamo was trying to say.
cheers,
Rhino