[DEF] AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | 52,000

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

[DEF] Re: #ONH: AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | (60,000+) | West Lakes

#496 Post by Splashmo » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:33 pm

So - how does the SANFL pay for it?

Here we had an opportunity for a redeveloped stadium that was FIFA compliant, but now it shows even more that the SANFL is behind the times.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#497 Post by ricecrackers » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:37 pm

its ugly.

and still useless for (association) football.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#498 Post by waz94 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 pm

The new AAMI stadium development makes Merecedes Corbys magazine spread look appealing.

Why are they bothering, such a dissapointing waste of money and i wish RANN and Co could see the bigger picture and look toward the future. So very frustrating cause theres nothing we can do about it expect watch and cringe. The Libs need to back off with the inner city stadium idea, so RANN can come up with the idea himself and be the big hero.

Why oh why!!!!!!!!! :-(

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#499 Post by Pistol » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Mutton dressed like lamb...

Next...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#500 Post by rogue » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:38 pm

The SANFL have even devoted a website to the cause... http://www.sanfl.com.au/getthefacts/index.html

I really like the point the says "AAMI Stadium is the only responsible, viable option in a city that needs two stadia – one for cricket, one for football due to overlapping schedules. It’s the same in all mainland capital cities".

It's the same in all mainland capitals? How’s about Melbourne with the MCG, Brisbane with the Gabba and Sydney with the SCG. Cricket and football are played at all these stadiums even with overlapping schedules.

Regardless of this, during the domestic cricket season you could count the attendees at each game on one hand and would probably get a similar crowd at places like Mt Gambier or Port Lincoln. Maybe its the SACA that needs to be more flexible, not the SANFL...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#501 Post by Cruise » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:51 am

rogue wrote: Maybe its the SACA that needs to be more flexible, not the SANFL...
That's why Football Park was built in the first place...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#502 Post by Shuz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:53 am

Okay, I didn't realise they'd gone so far to actually have designs out of the redevelopment. And I have to say, it looks way overdone.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#503 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:09 pm

rogue wrote:The SANFL have even devoted a website to the cause... http://www.sanfl.com.au/getthefacts/index.html

I really like the point the says "AAMI Stadium is the only responsible, viable option in a city that needs two stadia – one for cricket, one for football due to overlapping schedules. It’s the same in all mainland capital cities".

It's the same in all mainland capitals? How’s about Melbourne with the MCG, Brisbane with the Gabba and Sydney with the SCG. Cricket and football are played at all these stadiums even with overlapping schedules.

Regardless of this, during the domestic cricket season you could count the attendees at each game on one hand and would probably get a similar crowd at places like Mt Gambier or Port Lincoln. Maybe its the SACA that needs to be more flexible, not the SANFL...
he also says this...
The SANFL believes that a single, new stadium in Adelaide will not work.

We say that one size does not fit all and that we need two stadiums!
he's probably talking about cricket and Aussie rules, but i agree at least in as much that i think Soccer and AFL should be played in separate stadiums. you only have to look at the surfaces of Telstra Dome, Suncorp, SFS and Blue Tongue this season to see how soccer gets dudded in shared stadium deals.

as far as the upgraded design of AAMI goes, my first impression is that it makes it look more like Geelong's Skilled Stadium.

that's not a complement either.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#504 Post by rogue » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:39 pm

ricecrackers wrote:he also says this...

Not my words.

Cruise, I understand the reasons behind establishing Football Park, but fingers crossed that people in these 2 organisations have grown up and settled their differences over the last 3 decades.

Who knows, maybe this global financial turmoil will make them see the light. There's no point paying for 2 stadia to only be used for half the year each.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#505 Post by ricecrackers » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:14 am

rogue wrote:
ricecrackers wrote:he also says this...

Not my words.

Cruise, I understand the reasons behind establishing Football Park, but fingers crossed that people in these 2 organisations have grown up and settled their differences over the last 3 decades.

Who knows, maybe this global financial turmoil will make them see the light. There's no point paying for 2 stadia to only be used for half the year each.
i wasnt referring to your words
Leigh Whicker's words

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#506 Post by rev » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:39 am

The thing you have to understand is the SANFL will never support a new stadium that will go towards improving another code.
Just imagine if the people at the SANFL had any input on the big screen for the World Cup at Elder Park, or the live screening at Federation Square in Melb.

Their argument that one stadium can not meet the needs of Footy and Cricket, highlights their selfishness.
Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane seem to do just fine with the MCG, SCG and Gabba being used for footy in winter and cricket in summer. But according to the SANFL, Adelaide with a smaller population and less matches being played here, can not manage?
The arrogance of these people is astounding.

We have less International cricket played here(all the finals are played interstate for the ODI, and we are only a backup if its needed, not to mention we aren't even getting a South Africa test match). So that leaves the door open for the opportunity to include another code, A League, in the summer, therefore maximising usage and return from a new stadium.

What would the SANFL like to see, the continuation of one stadium for AFL, one for A League, one for Cricket?
When was the last time any of these existing stadiums was sold out constistantly? Adelaide couldn't even sell out AAMI for AFL finals this year, Adelaide United couldn't get capacity at Hindmarsh for ACL, and the test match against New Zealand was far from sold out.
Now combine these three codes into one stadium, reduce the costs for each club & code involved in regards to a stadium, and reduce the losses of each and perhaps even generate financial gains for a change.

You'd think the well being of sporting codes in general would be the number one priority, especially after the FFA and FIFA have said Adelaide has no suitable venue to host only the biggest single sporting event in the world. But apparently the small mindedness and pettiness that exists between rival codes is too much to overcome in little old Adelaide.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#507 Post by adam73837 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:30 pm

At 3:32 pm, Monday Cruise wrote: I am eagerly awaiting Adam lots-o-number's response
Sorry to keep you waiting for more than a day or to, so as an early CHristmas present, here I am! :D :
"While we are grateful for the government's immediate assistance, which will help us develop members' and public facilities within the stadium, the SANFL is continuing with our plans to rejuvenate the home of South Australian football and to make match day access easier..." Mr Whicker said.
I completely agree, it will make matchday access easier, purely because of the fact that the only people that will be going there will be the one-eyed die-hards and of course Whicker and his mates. Everyone else that supports Crows/ Port want that inner city stadium.
The initial stage of redevelopment, worth $8 million, will incorporate first stage road works and transport upgrades.
Transport Upgrades? What Transport Upgrades? Oh wait! The tram extension! Somehow I doubt that the tramline extension will be contained within an '$8m bracket'.
Following that work will start to upgrade the bus terminal and lighting which should be completed by February 2010.
Just in time for the election. :D :roll: As people begin to see more money wasted on the stadium because the Govt didn't put their foot down and take the long-term option before this, some of Rann's votes may begin to slip.
BRING 15,000-20,000 spectators closer to the playing field
HOW can you bring spectators closer to the field without actually reconfiguring part of the seating? Or do you plan to hand out 15,000 - 20,000 binoculars at the front entrances each match day?
COVER all external concourse areas and 10,000 more spectators
10,000 more spectators? They can barely fill it to capacity during Showdowns and Crows vs Collingwood/ Essendon matches, and they want to increase the number of seating? Such a thing would only be half logical in such a situation if it were in the city, where everyone is!
INCORPORATE two "super" entrances, one to the west to link up with West Lakes shopping centre and to the east to accommodate transport and parking upgrades
How typical! :roll: :roll: :roll: Let's just do up the façade so that it looks decent on the outside. It doesn't matter that it's still a piece of s**t on the inside! :roll:
Pistol wrote:Mutton dressed like lamb...
You hit the nail right on the head mate!
Mr Whicker reiterated the SANFL's point of view on the potential of a new, one-purpose-fits-all stadium in the city saying it was "extravagant".
Sometimes it's not worth arguing to a stubborn brick wall like that of Whicker's mind.
He said if such a project were to go ahead it would take twice as long as the redevelopment of AAMI Stadium, which he considered a "great stadium".
Well that just about sums things up doesn't it? Obviously Whicker's never set foot out of West Lakes, or he wouldn't be considering AAMI Stadium to be a 'great stadium' :roll:
"This stadium is only 35 years old,'' he said.
Yeah, I agree, 'only 35 years', a period of time during which seating expectations have changed greatly. We'll just continue to live in the past! Oh and I'd also consider AAMI to be young if I'm nearly twice as old as it! :roll: :D
"We know it needs some work but we're committed to bringing this facility up to speed."
Yeah, good luck with that Whicker. :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil:

Oh finally, Merry Christmas to all! :) :mrgreen:
-Adam.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#508 Post by Will » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:33 pm

^^^Adam73873, you have written the same thing for all 33 pages of this thread. We do not need to read the same arguement over and over again. I support a city stadium as much as you do, however can you please refrain from posting this same arguement over and over again.

I appreaciate your passion because i was the same a few years ago. Some of the older forumers will recall that I would passionately argue a point over and over. Back then I was perplexed as to why people posted for me to stop posting the same arguement over and over again. In my mind I thought I was only expressing my mind, however eventually you reach a stage of life when you are no-longer a care-free teenager but an adult with responsibilities. As such time becomes quite precious and thus I now understand why people would ask me to stop repeated the same arguement over and over again. People visit these forums for news and thus they do not want to waste time reading someones opinion over and over again. I am not telling you to stop expressing your opinion, only to stop expressing the same opinion 100 times.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#509 Post by Cruise » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Next...
LOL, If Footy Park is Mutton, what the hell does that make Adelaide Oval?

Oh and Adam, your posts never fail to bring a smile to my face

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#510 Post by ricecrackers » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Cruise wrote:

Next...
LOL, If Footy Park is Mutton, what the hell does that make Adelaide Oval?