[DEF] AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | 52,000

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

[DEF] Re: AAMI Stadium

#31 Post by JAKJ » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:23 pm

gregrogers257 wrote: The northern stand only cost 12.5 million !!
The fact that a whole stand cost 12.5 mill is an indication of how cheap the stadium is... if you want a proper stadium you have to put down the money, and with interest rates as low as they are, especially for a AAA rating government, there should be no problem working out some form of viable financing for a $200-300+ million dollar stadium (or whatever they cost these days)

There is nothing wrong with borrowing big for infrastructure, like state sports stadums, because if it is done properly it should last a good 25+ years (and with upgrades 50 and longer who knows!). If the governement is ever thinking of hosting a commonwealth games or perhaps playing a role in a future Australian World Cup, such a stadium becomes a necessity.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF]

#32 Post by crawf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:07 am

lol, only $12.5m?, far out thats cheap!

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

[DEF] Re: AAMI Stadium

#33 Post by gregrogers257 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:16 am

JAKJ wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote: The northern stand only cost 12.5 million !!
The fact that a whole stand cost 12.5 mill is an indication of how cheap the stadium is... if you want a proper stadium you have to put down the money, and with interest rates as low as they are, especially for a AAA rating government, there should be no problem working out some form of viable financing for a $200-300+ million dollar stadium (or whatever they cost these days)

There is nothing wrong with borrowing big for infrastructure, like state sports stadums, because if it is done properly it should last a good 25+ years (and with upgrades 50 and longer who knows!). If the governement is ever thinking of hosting a commonwealth games or perhaps playing a role in a future Australian World Cup, such a stadium becomes a necessity.
JAKJ You really have no idea do you. 12.5 million is not a cheap price for 7000 seat grand stand. Its about normal

I noticed that you still have not answered my question from before -
why would any organisation spend 400 million on a new stadium when AAMI can be upgraded for about 100 million ?

You are also wrong in saying that a new stadium is required for adelaide to host the commonwealth games or soccer world cup. This is not correct.
AAMI can eventually be upgraded to a capacity of at 70 K. That's big enough !!!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#34 Post by AtD » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:27 am

For comparison, the Testra Dome cost $250m to build and was done so almost completely by the private sector. It's currently owned by James Fielding Funds Management, which posted a $10m profit in 2002. Remember this thing competes with the MCG.

The problem with West Lakes being 20 minutes from the city is that's 20 minutes more than competing stadiums in other cities, or even Adelaide Oval.

Why a private organisation would spend a large sum on a new stadium is really up to them, they'd crunch the numbers and decide if its worth it.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF]

#35 Post by crawf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:50 am

I thought Telstra Dome costed around $450m

anyway, i agree AAMIs location is shit (20mins from the city, is very bad) plus it doesnt have a rail link.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#36 Post by Will » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:42 pm

In this debate I think more emphasis should be placed on the economic benefits of having the state's premier stadium in the city. At West Lakes after the game people simply drive home. Can you imagine the economic benefits of 50 000 or more people going into the city after a game. This would generate more trade for businesses in the CBD, but also give the city more 'buzz' which in turn may influence more people to visit the CBD.

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

[DEF] Telstra dome

#37 Post by gregrogers257 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:06 pm

AtD wrote:For comparison, the Testra Dome cost $250m to build and was done so almost completely by the private sector. It's currently owned by James Fielding Funds Management, which posted a $10m profit in 2002. Remember this thing competes with the MCG.

The problem with West Lakes being 20 minutes from the city is that's 20 minutes more than competing stadiums in other cities, or even Adelaide Oval.

Why a private organisation would spend a large sum on a new stadium is really up to them, they'd crunch the numbers and decide if its worth it.
Telstra Dome was $450 m, you dickhead.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF] Re: Telstra dome

#38 Post by AtD » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:30 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:Telstra Dome was $450 m, you dickhead.
Jeez you're rude.

I sourced my figure from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstra_Dome

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

#39 Post by gregrogers257 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:09 pm

AtD wrote:
Jeez you're rude.

I sourced my figure from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstra_Dome
My apologies for the rude comment above. Was just joking around.

I just checked the telstra dome website. It was definitely $450 million. The design and construction of the roof would have cost a lot.

So this stadium has worked in melbourne, but you have to remember they have the sporting events and the population to support it. A stadium like that would not be worth setting up here.

If we did build a telstra dome here it would not be used in the summer at all. Wouldn't that be a waste of 400 million - to build a stadium that would only be used in the winter ???

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:53 am

Your making a great first impression :roll:

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[DEF]

#41 Post by Pistol » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:40 am

I couldn't think of anything better than 50 - 60,000 people spewing out of a stadium on North Tce on a Friday night all looking for something to do. The publicans in the area would be drooling hoping for this to happen. Get rid of AAMI stadium and build something close to the city for all to enjoy. Suburban stadiums just don't work. Anyone remember Waverly???

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[DEF]

#42 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:11 pm

Will wrote:Can you imagine the economic benefits of 50 000 or more people going into the city after a game.
It would be great. To give this some sort of reference, that would double the number of people in the city at that time of a night currently. It would bring life to the city of the sort of magnitude that we currently only see at Festival, or Fringe time, or when the Formula 1's came to town.

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

[DEF] Chip in ???

#43 Post by gregrogers257 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:37 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
Will wrote:Can you imagine the economic benefits of 50 000 or more people going into the city after a game.
It would be great. To give this some sort of reference, that would double the number of people in the city at that time of a night currently. It would bring life to the city of the sort of magnitude that we currently only see at Festival, or Fringe time, or when the Formula 1's came to town.
How about you guys all chip in some money and see if you can find 400 million to build a new stadium.......???

This is the only way the project is ever going to happen. No business or government organisation is ever going to waste 400 million like that......

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF] Re: Chip in ???

#44 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:24 am

never say never

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[DEF]

#45 Post by Algernon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:20 am

crawf wrote:lol, only $12.5m?, far out thats cheap!
The budgeted figure was 12.5 million - it came in $2 million under budget at 10.5!