[DEF] AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | 52,000

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[DEF] Re: Chip in ???

#46 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:21 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:How about you guys all chip in some money and see if you can find 400 million to build a new stadium.......???

This is the only way the project is ever going to happen. No business or government organisation is ever going to waste 400 million like that......
Correction - No South Australian Government is ever going to "waste" 400 million like that. I could list heaps of cities across the world that have such venues.

PS. I pay my taxes so I do chip in some money. :wink:

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[DEF]

#47 Post by stelaras » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:25 pm

everyone's on the right track here.....

Build a multifunction stadium in the heart of the city is a great idea....Give AAMI to Port Power and relocate the crows to the centre of Adelaide. They average about 42K per game...imagine an extra 20,000 people in the city on a Friday or saturday night...

The stadium could be linked to adelaide oval by way of a walkbridge. Further the linkages to the convention/exhibition building on the river and establish a nice restaurant/cafe/bar strip....

Not only will it look great it would bring the ACC lots of $$$$$

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

#48 Post by gregrogers257 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:17 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote:How about you guys all chip in some money and see if you can find 400 million to build a new stadium.......???

This is the only way the project is ever going to happen. No business or government organisation is ever going to waste 400 million like that......
Correction - No South Australian Government is ever going to "waste" 400 million like that. I could list heaps of cities across the world that have such venues.

PS. I pay my taxes so I do chip in some money. :wink:
No business would either. What type of business would build a 400 million stadium which would only be used for 6 months per year....
Its a lot of money for very little return........its just not worth it.....

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by AtD » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:57 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:No business would either. What type of business would build a 400 million stadium which would only be used for 6 months per year....
You'd be suprised.

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

#50 Post by gregrogers257 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:48 pm

AtD wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote:No business would either. What type of business would build a 400 million stadium which would only be used for 6 months per year....
You'd be suprised.

Yeah you are right I will be very surprised if any organisation is stupid enough to waste 400 million......... in fact if a new stadium does get built I will run around the outside 10 times backwards without any clothes on !!1

That's how confident I am that it will never happen.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#51 Post by Al » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 pm

I'd love to see that. :D

bdm
High Rise Poster!

[DEF]

#52 Post by bdm » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:06 am

Would $70m pay for a branch line from the Outer Habor line to West Lakes and AAMI Stadium? I do wonder.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#53 Post by AtD » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:46 am

bdm wrote:Would $70m pay for a branch line from the Outer Habor line to West Lakes and AAMI Stadium? I do wonder.
Possibly, but it'd be cheap and nasty. On a road like West Lakes Bvd you would want over/underpasses and not level crossing. TA would also need more railcars because they're over-stretched as it is.

julikaee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[DEF]

#54 Post by julikaee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:24 pm

It's great to know that AAMI Stadium will be receving a facelift. I cannot tell you how bad it is going to the footy and having to crane your neck to see that one, real small screen.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[DEF]

#55 Post by Algernon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:49 am

bdm wrote:Would $70m pay for a branch line from the Outer Habor line to West Lakes and AAMI Stadium? I do wonder.
Nope.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[DEF]

#56 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:11 pm

I'll start by stating that I am not a football fan and have never stepped foot in AAMI or any other stadium, but I do strongly disagree with the concept of having the stadium in or near the city centre.

I really can't see any benefit and surely carparking would be a major issue (unless of course they built a massive multi-storey carpark next to the stadium but I doubt it.

I just think the city would be absolutely chocked with traffic going in and out of the city every time the stadium was used.

This is a bad enough problem at West Lakes sometimes but in the city, which normally has more traffic to cope with anyway, I think it would be a much bigger problem, and seriously make people think twice about shopping in the city or going there for nightlife / restaurants etc.

To say nothing of the poor innocent people working in the city, who would regularly find themselves caught up in all this traffic, and find it almost impossible to park their cars when they go to work.

There are many very successful suburban stadiums overseas. I reckon keep it at west lakes and just upgrade it.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#57 Post by AtD » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:20 pm

pushbutton: Try driving anywhere near West Lakes just after a match has finished. West Lakes has no significant public transport infrastructure and only a few major roads leading out of it, with the major road out being two-lanes of West Lakes Bvd. By contrast, the city already has the tram, train and bus infrastructures in place to deal with the daily fluctuations of traffic, and hundreds of lanes of road leading out of it.

Parking shouldn't be much of an issue if people take public transport.

What you see as a disadvantage, is an advantage - the crowds of people leaving the stadium would end up in the city's pubs and restaurants. Ever been in the city when a One Day International finished? It'd be the same, massive crowds and massive atmosphere.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#58 Post by Pikey » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:08 pm

stelaras wrote:everyone's on the right track here.....

Build a multifunction stadium in the heart of the city is a great idea....Give AAMI to Port Power and relocate the crows to the centre of Adelaide. They average about 42K per game...imagine an extra 20,000 people in the city on a Friday or saturday night...

The stadium could be linked to adelaide oval by way of a walkbridge. Further the linkages to the convention/exhibition building on the river and establish a nice restaurant/cafe/bar strip....

Not only will it look great it would bring the ACC lots of $$$$$
:roll: Riiiiiight.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[DEF]

#59 Post by pushbutton » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:13 pm

well you might be right atd, but in any case where would there be enough land for a stadium near the city? The only obvious place I can think of is to build in on bonython park or another part of the parklands surrouding the city, but these areas are considered by most people in Adelaide to be almost sacred, and certainly not suitable sites for a major stadium.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF]

#60 Post by crawf » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:22 pm

city railway yards...