[COM] Bunnings (ex-Masters) Adelaide Airport

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Bacon
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Masters Adelaide Airport

#61 Post by Bacon » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:14 am

Maybe Coles could take up the masters space with their larger format like the store at Churchill Centre

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#62 Post by Adeguy72 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:21 pm

Bacon wrote:Maybe Coles could take up the masters space with their larger format like the store at Churchill Centre
Not sure if there is sufficient demand for another supermarket near the airport - especially since the Woolworths at Harbour Town has low sales figures, and an Aldi is planned for somewhere on airport land (I am not sure exactly where though).

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:04 pm

Bacon wrote:Maybe Coles could take up the masters space with their larger format like the store at Churchill Centre
...or Mitre 10. :roll:

NB: Womersly's Mitre 10 in Chelsea Heights was a 'Mitre 10 Mega' but it was painted blue and simply renamed as an 'ordinary' Mitre 10.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Patrick_27

#64 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:29 pm

It's likely to be Home Timber and Hardware, Woolworths own this brand and the person in charge of arranging this Masters fallout has stated that he wants to convert as many of the stores into Home Hardwares, he believes this brand has a good enough turn around that could change the margins on the overall disaster.

Llessur2002

#65 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:01 am

I really hope it does remain a hardware store of some description. I love Bunnings (we're just finishing renovating our house so they've had quite a lot of custom from us over the past couple of years) and agree that Masters never really cut the mustard in terms of range, staff knowledge or overall shopping experience. But, it was good to have further choice on certain items which Bunnings did not stock - not so much the nuts and bolts hardware side of things but fixtures and fittings, outdoor furniture, washing lines, garden equipment etc.

If someone could take over and improve the traditional hardware side of the operation I can see it being successful. Plus, a bit of competition in this area of the market will help keep prices down at Bunnings.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by OlympusAnt » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:59 pm

Masters would have to go down as one of the worst company flops in Australian history, even beating the infamous iSnack 2.0
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

ChillyPhilly

#67 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:40 am

Poco will take over Masters here.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#68 Post by Adeguy72 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:07 pm

It has been announced all Masters stores (including Masters Adelaide Airport) will close before December 11.

The 61 Masters stores and 20 development locations have been acquired by "Home Investment Consortium" with most of the existing Masters stores as well as some of the development sites to be repurposed or developed into multi tenanted large format centres, with tenants to include the Good Guys, Spotlight, JB Hi-Fi, Anaconda and Chemist Warehouse. The balance of about 16 sites will be converted into Bunning's warehouse stores.

No announcement yet on the fate of individual sites, but my money would be on Bunning's taking over the Adelaide Airport site.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:27 pm

I agree that Adelaide Airport will become a Bunnings. There isn't another Bunnings close by so it makes logical sense.

As for the two 'Development' sites (I'm assuming that's Parafield and Colonnades), be interesting to see what they become.

Parafield possibly a JB Hi-Fi - though Elizabeth, Gepps Cross and Modbury are all within 15 minutes of the site, and Officeworks is already next door. With Good Guys already at Gepps Cross, probably too close to Parafield to open one there? There isn't a Chemist Warehouse anywhere near Parafield so that'll be a perfect spot for it, along with Spotlight.

There's already a Good Guys and JB Hi Fi in the Noarlunga Centre/Colonnades precinct, so possibly an Anaconda/Chemist Warehouse/Spotlight split?

Nathan

#70 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:35 pm

Brucetiki wrote:There isn't another Bunnings close by so it makes logical sense.
There's one on Sir Donald Bradman drive in Mile End. Unless you're driving in peak traffic, it's barely more than 5mins between the locations.

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#71 Post by Bacon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Bunnings has announced that they will vacating some of their existing stores and relocating to former Masters sites

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/commerci ... 825-gr1lk9

ChillyPhilly

#72 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:04 am

I have some inside knowledge on the fate of (I'm assuming) local Masters sites, but - shock! Horror! - I'm not *yet* allowed to tell. Soon. People over the last handful of posts are on the right track though.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by Torrens_5022 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:09 am

If Bunnings set up at Adelaide airport, would they keep the Mile End (South) store? If not what will become of the Mile End (South) site? I think JB-HiFi HOME would be eyeing off the Airport site - the closest Home style store is either Melrose Park or Gepps Cross, JB-HiFi is eyeing off The Good Guys anyway so who knows if this will play into the location of new JB (Home) stores.
So if Bunnings relocated the Mile End (South) store, what would be a good use of the land? I doubt a second homemaker centre would be a good idea - what about residential like apartments - you could build 10+ stories

bits
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by bits » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:54 pm

Adelaide airport would be a wise choice for Bunnings over Mile End. I believe the land is excluded from SA trading rules for most purposes. The Parafield Airport Bunnings has the longest trading hours in the country from what I can see.

Nathan

#75 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:34 pm

The Mile End store is currently having some 'renovations', so if they're planning to move to the airport site, they're not doing a very good job of it.

How you renovate what is essentially a giant shed, that's another question entirely.