[APP] Glenelg - Lustro Hotel & Apartments - 14 levels - 47m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[APP] Re: Adelphi Terrace, Glenelg - Integrated Hotel Development

#16 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:02 am

Is it just me, or does $110m seem an excessive estimate for this development?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Brando » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Wayno wrote:Is it just me, or does $110m seem an excessive estimate for this development?
The developer has included $40 million to fight Holdfast Bay Council.... :?

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Jaymz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:58 pm

I don't mind this proposal, it's far from ugly. I think Glenelg needs it.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Torrens_5022 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:01 pm

They could have made it a bit more colourful, but at least it's not beige / sand coloured like most of Glenelg's buildings are

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#20 Post by rev » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Brando wrote:
Wayno wrote:Is it just me, or does $110m seem an excessive estimate for this development?
Is this a joke?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:20 pm

rev wrote:
Brando wrote:
Is this a joke?
Said the Publican to the Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by AG » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:23 am

rev wrote:yawn, another boring proposal.

Is it the architects fault, or the developers fault?
How does it all work? For example, if I was a developer, do I go out to an architect/engineering firm, and say I've got a budget of $100 million I want to spend on this block/address, design me something suitable? Are architects given creative freedom, or do developers give them a brief of what they want?

Either way beat them all over the head with a giant crayon.
The developer is usually the architect's client, so nine times out of ten it is the developer calling the shots.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#23 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:02 am

There's also the increasing habit of developers to commission the builder first, who then sub contracts an architect (or tries to do it inhouse). It's backwards, and no doubt leads to pretty blah results.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Will » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:30 pm

Considering that the Holdfast Shores saga is now 10 years ago, I would have thought some of the dinosaurs who opposed that would have died off, however judging by this article, the Glenelg NMBYs are still around:

From news.com:

12-storey Glenelg North accommodation tower sparks high-rise petition

November 11, 201511:56am

An artist impression of the 12-storey hotel complex planned for Adelphi Tce, Glenelg North. Picture: Supplied

Amy Moran,Guardian Messenger

MORE than 270 petitioners are calling for State Government plans to allow more high-rise development in Glenelg North, to be thrown out.

Head petitioner Bronwyn Watt said residents were concerned about the potential for traffic and parking problems, if buildings 10 storeys or higher were allowed on key strips.

She said the petition centred around a $110 million hotel and apartment building planned on Adelphi Tce.

“The area along Adelphi Tce has limited parking, with no parking available around the Michael Herbert (King St) Bridge intersection, extending to MacFarlane St,” Ms Watt said.

The 12-storey redevelopment of the two-storey Comfort Inn on Adelphi Tce would be the largest accommodation project in the area since Liberty Towers was built more than a decade ago.

Ms Watt, who lives on MacFarlane St and operates a business from her home, said even if new high-rise buildings had underground parking for residents, visitors would still clog up nearby streets with their cars.

“Extra traffic resulting from such extensive development and parking is already an issue throughout Glenelg,” she said.

The State Government in May announced the second stage of its inner metropolitan growth project, including plans to allow buildings over 10 storeys on the Glenelg foreshore, Adelphi Tce, Anzac Hwy, Jetty Rd and Pier St.

It would also allow high density buildings on the western side of the Patawalonga, south of King St.

In Glenelg North, buildings up to three storeys are allowed under the current zoning rules.

Existing high-rise buildings, such as the 13-storey Aquarius Tower on Adelphi Tce and the Atlantic Tower on Anzac Highway, were given approval under special circumstances more than 30 years ago.

State Liberal Morphett MP Duncan McFetridge tabled the petition on October 28, the day community consultation ended for the Adelphi Tce development.

The hotel complex with apartments, shops, a gym and a function centre would create 200 construction jobs, and 65 hospitality jobs.

It would also include 204 on-site carparks for 156 hotel rooms and 60 apartments.

Its developer, Bruno Marveggio was unavailable for comment last week. He has previously said if it is approved by the Development Assessment Commission, it could be complete by 2018.

Mr McFetridge, who tabled the petition but did not agree with it, said there was a demand for modern, high-density living in the area.

“It is a shame to see the heritage we had is going, but people don’t want to live in a 1915 building, they want to live in a 2015 building,” Mr McFetridge said.

“There is nothing more sure than we will see more high rise in and around Glenelg.”

He said the petitioners’ concerns were “reasonable” and hoped they would be addressed during community consultation.

“It’s not a done deal yet — there could be changes to the design, the height, and so-forth,” he said.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by Goodsy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Wow a whole 270 people...

Llessur2002

#26 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:44 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:Wow a whole 270 people...
Don't knock it - it says *more than* 270 people.

i.e. 271.

I imagine that 15 of the 271 will be local nimbys. Another 30 or so will be their friends and family with too much time on their hands. The remainder just people who'll sign anything if they're stopped in the street. Not to mention the fake signatures, double-signers etc...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#27 Post by rev » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:06 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm so f'ing sick of these minority groups of knobs and nay sayers who are selfish and only give a toss about them selves and their personal use of a parkland or personal view of the beach or snobbish attitude that they are entitled to something and others should be excluded and prevented from.

The government should say to these people, show us how you 270 people are going to make up the economic activity provided by the construction of an apartment complex, and then make up the economic activity for the area of all those extra residents in Glenelg, and we will accept your petition and block this development.

Or better yet, tell these idiot naysayer nimbys that if you don't like living in a key area of Adelaide that is important for economic activity and tourism where high rise developments are likely to pop up, then move to a small quiet country town where you will not be bothered by extra traffic and any buildings taller then a story or two.

At some stage our political leaders need to say enough, the economic well being of the city and state is far more important then a handful of whingers who have turned whinging into a finely tuned art form.

In fact if I was someone with the right authority I'd allow and encourage more night clubs and bars and even more high rises in Glenelg, and to hell with these whinging losers who think they've got some sort of god given entitlement over the rest of the state.

Really pisses me right off.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by omada » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:20 pm

+1
:applause:

claybro

#29 Post by claybro » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:17 pm

BTW...in what other mainland capital beside Adelaide is 12 storeys considered "highrise"...What is it.. 1920?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:21 pm

claybro wrote:BTW...in what other mainland capital beside Adelaide is 12 storeys considered "highrise"...What is it.. 1920?
Canberra?