[COM] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel | 6 Levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel | 6 Levels

#1 Post by rev » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:50 pm

Plan put forward for two, six-storey apartment and shopping towers on The Parade in Norwood

Eugene Boisvert
Sunday Mail (SA)
August 02, 2015 12:00AM

An artist’s impression of the apartments planned for next to the Bath Hotel in Norwood. Picture: Connekt

A NORWOOD hotel owner has lodged plans for two, six-storey apartment towers just four months after a similar project was approved a block away.

Bath Hotel owner Tony Franzon has applied to the Development Assessment Commission to build 55 apartments and three shops at 236-238 The Parade.

The first stage of the project would be just to the east of his hotel — where four shops are now — and the second would be in the hotel’s carpark.

The site is only 100m west of a five-storey, 36-apartment building proposed by Kevin Chapley, Jo Chapley and Zack Kalamboyas that was approved by the DAC in March.

That project is worth $12 million. Mr Franzon’s is worth $11.5 million.

The area is zoned for buildings up to five storeys.

Mr Franzon, who bought the site in December for $3.9 million, said the apartments would be both up-market and affordable.

“I just think there’s a desperate need for apartment living on The Parade,” Mr Franzon said.

“Obviously I’m not alone about main, arterial roads like Magill and Unley roads.

The area as it is currently.

“We want to do a really nice job, not a slap-bang apartment complex that exists elsewhere.”

He said the apartments would bring more people to The Parade, boosting business in the area.

“It’s all good for The Parade and traders,” he said.

“Who doesn’t benefit from it?”

Sales agent Tony Mathews, from Connekt, said there had already been “tremendous interest” in the development from people who have heard about it by word of mouth.

“We expect demand to be very strong when we offer the project for sale,” Mr Mathews said.

The four shops on the site have been given notice to leave.

Mr Franzon’s proposal is the latest in a series of apartment projects planned for Norwood, Payneham & St Peters.

The DAC is also looking at a $37 million, 15-storey apartment and retail proposal for North Tce, Kent Town, and a $6.4 million, six-storey student-accommodation block on King William St, also in Kent Town.

Work is also set to start later this year on the $70 million, 11-storey East Park apartments on Dequetteville Tce.

More than two-thirds of the 106 apartments have been sold.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7466279968

Not sure if this has already been posted? If so please delete.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#2 Post by Paulns » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:13 am

Looks good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Waewick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:11 am

I've heard there is some anti development sentiment already.

Patrick_27

#4 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Waewick wrote:I've heard there is some anti development sentiment already.
Not surprised, nor do I completely disagree with their motives. Whilst this is a nice looking development, it's completely out of character for the area. The Parade appears to be following the steps of Churchill Road, low-rise buildings along the strip which will age poorly and encroach on neighbouring houses. An apartment building next to a warehouse in Kent Town, OK fair enough. But a 5-10 story building next to little stone maisonette, get real!

Though, I do feel that a lot of people in the eastern suburbs just want to have a whinge for the sake of it...

[Shuz]

#5 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:18 am

It looks good at a cursory glance, but the devil would be in the detail. I'd await further renders before I make a full judgement.

I'll never understand the NIMBY crowd in the East. They knew that when the rezoning happened, that this would lead to proposals like this coming through. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as part of the consultations before the rezoning of the inner metropolitan area, did they not basically ask for the Parade and Kent Town to be rezoned and with higher height limits, as a tradeoff for not rezoning the Glenside Hospital site and parts of Parkside?

Can't bake your cake and eat it too.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ho Really

#6 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Not surprised, nor do I completely disagree with their motives. Whilst this is a nice looking development, it's completely out of character for the area. The Parade appears to be following the steps of Churchill Road, low-rise buildings along the strip which will age poorly and encroach on neighbouring houses. An apartment building next to a warehouse in Kent Town, OK fair enough. But a 5-10 story building next to little stone maisonette, get real!

Quite right.
Though, I do feel that a lot of people in the eastern suburbs just want to have a whinge for the sake of it...
I don't think it is for the sake of it. The crowd around Norwood are pretty knowledgeable people.
[Shuz] wrote:It looks good at a cursory glance, but the devil would be in the detail. I'd await further renders before I make a full judgement.
The looks are only a small part of a development. Factor in quality of build, facilities, car parking, traffic, noise, location, privacy and a few other things. Then make a thorough judgement. Importantly don't forget the residents that are there already and how this will impact them.
I'll never understand the NIMBY crowd in the East. They knew that when the rezoning happened, that this would lead to proposals like this coming through.

[...]
NIMBYs in the East are no different than anywhere else. They have their concerns, just like you would have if you had a nice little place with a back garden where you spend your days in the sun then have five-six storey apartments pop up around you. Many have been here for a while before any talk about rezoning. Others who have recently moved here may argue that their lifestyle will be encroached on. Whatever. Everyone has their reason.

I'm sure that the Franzon and the Chapley/Kalamboyas developments are only the first of many more down the Parade. What will the result be when the strip from Portrush Road to Osmond Terrace will be full of 4-5-6 storey apartments? What it will bring to Norwood is anyone's guess...more business and life or just more noise, traffic and other hassles?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:16 pm

For some reason I was cynical about this project ever happening but I received an email today to register interest. They are launching next month.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Wayno » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:30 pm

I'm thinking these will sell fast. Fingers crossed anyways...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:44 pm

This was approved by the state government DAC.

Waewick

#10 Post by Waewick » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:46 pm

going to be interesting, Norwood needs this kind of development IMO - love the strip but more people in and around can only make it better (and hopefully deliver some fixed rail transport)

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Phantom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:11 pm

As someone who lives in Norwood, God damn will this stand out like dog's balls...

I mean, I'm all for progress, but something that high will look out of place with what else is around in comparison.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Goodsy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:23 pm

Phantom wrote:As someone who lives in Norwood, God damn will this stand out like dog's balls...

I mean, I'm all for progress, but something that high will look out of place with what else is around in comparison.
It will stand out until another taller building pops up, something needs to be first

Ho Really

#13 Post by Ho Really » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:39 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:It will stand out until another taller building pops up, something needs to be first
Taller maybe not. The five-six storey should be the limit. It's also still manageable in cases of fire. The main issue will be how many will be built and how dense?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Jaymz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:21 am

Inner city areas are perfect for developments like this and should be encouraged. Noticed a lot of it happening in Perth when I was there recently.... it's called progress.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Mpol » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:40 am

And a lot of it is happening in the west. West Lakes to Albert Park/Seaton, Saint Claire and and West Lakes Boulevard. To top it off, a lot of the housing trust down Trimmer Parade is now gone, to make way for development and all along Port Road you will see 2-4 storey developments lining the strip. It's fantastic. And makes for a very ecelctic area, with a great mix.