ONH: [Port Adelaide] Newport Quays | $1.2b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #U/R: Newport Quays | [ Port Adelaide Waterfront ]

#661 Post by rogue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:28 pm

^ This building was part of stage, 2 Marina Cove.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#662 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Well spotted, Will. Nothing like a pub to get things going a bit. I'll zip down there and have a beer I think.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#663 Post by Will » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:50 am

Prince George wrote:Interesting thoughts. Coincidentally, we were down in Semaphore on Saturday (a friend's son's birthday). We used to live down there too, in Glanville, so we were walking around to look at our old place and surrounds. Going along Causeway Road, we were struck by just how cut off Newport Quays was from the rest of the suburbs around them. Standing on the concrete footpath, looking across the road at the gravel footpath, chain-link fence, train tracks, and second chain-link fence (this one topped with barbed wire IIRC) separating us from the new buildings, you did rather get the impression that they didn't want people coming in there. OK, so there is a non-trivial barrier in the rail lines, but did that really prevent any attempt at all to cross it along that length? I don't even recall if there was pedestrian access via the Hart St bridge.

I do wonder if the community groups that have been kicking up a stink about these projects might have been a bit quieter if people in the area felt like they were getting something out of it themselves.
Yes there is pedestrian access from the Hart Street bridge. However I agree with the statement that the Newport Quays development does have a gated community feel about it.

I suggest that it would be beneficial of the developers decided to get rid of both cyclone fences on either side of the railway tracks and repalced them with some kind of bushes to act as a more 'inviting' type of fence.

Furthermore I think a pedestrian bridge linking the historic Port Adelaide CBD to the development would be a good idea.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#664 Post by skyliner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:52 am

Will wrote:
Prince George wrote:
I suggest that it would be beneficial of the developers decided to get rid of both cyclone fences on either side of the railway tracks and repalced them with some kind of bushes to act as a more 'inviting' type of fence
DEFINITELY.The 'us and them' feel to it is also suggesting a non interactive aspect with the area. It tends to present an incomplete bare feel as well.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#665 Post by jk1237 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:26 pm

guys, there is a pedestrian staircase from the Hart Street bridge that comes down onto the new park they have created at Newport Quays. The design of the park is great caus the Glanville pub has views across the river, and a guests carpark has been put directly under the bridge (what else would wanna be put there) and the staircase makes a short walk into the heart of Port Adelaide. There are still the regulars fishing under the bridge area.

The interaction between Newport Quays and Ethelton is not that good solely due to a railway line being there. I highly doubt DTEI would accept a new level crossing, they would only accept a grade separated bridge which involves $$. There is a pedestrian maze that links with Ethelton Station, but again I doubt if the DTEI would allow any more pedestrian mazes, only grade separated bridges which I would imagine would have to be done by the council or state govt due to the cost. Interesting to see how they interact with Glanville Stn once the next stage starts.

The fence against the railway line on the Newport quays side has already been lined with shrubs and small trees to hide the line.

So this development is no where near as bad as your all making it out to be. Go down and have a proper look. My main issue is the amount of white used in the housing, some more colours would be good

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#666 Post by AG » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 pm

I must say that from my own personal observations that the level of connectivity and inclusiveness of the surrounding areas into the Newport Quays development has not been great thus far. Access in and out of the new development is poor as there is only the one crossing at Rennie Road and Ethelton Station is difficult to access from within the Newport Quays area. A continuously pedestrian link (whether it be an elevated walkway and bridge or at ground level) from the western side of Causeway Road across the road and rail lines over the river and into central Port Adelaide could do wonders for bringing some life to the area.

yipiyiyo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#667 Post by yipiyiyo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:32 pm

I don't live at New Port Quays but I do spend a lot of time down around stage 2 on land and water and love the atmosphere, views and most of all the ability to get up close to oberve the dolphins who visit and perform every day. Yes, there are a few remaining issues as with all new developments, but everyone I know who live there agree with me.
Sadly I believe that this blog has been hijacked by false protagonists who have not actually spent enough time at Newport Quays to give a credible commentary. I suspect they are they merely remote critics.
I look foward to the next stages of the revitalisation of the Port Adelaide docks district. 8)

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#668 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:55 pm

yipiyiyo wrote:I don't live at New Port Quays but I do spend a lot of time down around stage 2 on land and water and love the atmosphere, views and most of all the ability to get up close to oberve the dolphins who visit and perform every day. Yes, there are a few remaining issues as with all new developments, but everyone I know who live there agree with me.
Sadly I believe that this blog has been hijacked by false protagonists who have not actually spent enough time at Newport Quays to give a credible commentary. I suspect they are they merely remote critics.
I look foward to the next stages of the revitalisation of the Port Adelaide docks district. 8)
Yes i agree with you 100%, it will get better too. I'm also looking forward to seeing the repercussions of the tram when it arrives to the Port. :applause:

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#669 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:42 am

I made the trip to the Port and had lunch at the restaurant at Newport Quays. Other than staff, my mate and I were the only punters there. I hope the place gets up and going (and I've been a long time critic) but what's done is done - we should hope for better days.

I spoke to a couple of residents - one was concerned that there were too many empty units (he and his wife are the only occupants of their floor), and the other resident missed the boatyards across the river (the ones that Treasurer Foley demanded be demolished) and was wondering when the now mudflats would ever be built on.

I contacted Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith's office and asked if their was any chance of the govt putting up the $1 mill cost of bringing the old sailing ship City of Adelaide to the Port for long term restoration and a tourist draw. Two days later I received a call with the answer - 'No funding available in the foreseeable future'.

It's a shame - a similar ship in London, the Cutty Sark, has drawn 300,000 visitors a year for the last 50 years to the arse end of London.

Rann and Foley can afford to make a gift of $450 mill to 'refurbish' the Adelaide Oval, but cannot provide one dollar to help the Port.

The Port is of course, as local parliamentary member Foley has said, 'a grimy, working class area that no-one wants visit' (spoken while drinking champagne on Multiplex's barge at the opening of Newport Quays.) Foley was then living in Netherby prior to moving to AIR apartments at Eastwood.

It's ironic - you would need to go a long way to find two outfits more male-dominated, old school tie, Adelaide Club, eastern suburbs, private school outfits than former federal Liberal minister and millionaire grazier Ian MacLachlan's SACA, millionaire plastic tooth king Andrew Demetriou and the relatively impoverished Leigh Whicker's SANFL, yet Rann is all over them like a Premier stalking a cyclist for a photo opp.

At least, as Rann said (5AA 17/12/09), the Adelaide Oval 'refurbishment' isn't political - after all it's SACA/AFL's proposal, not the governments', he says.

Foley's office confirmed last Friday that in order to afford the gift to SACA and AFL/SANFL the $100m tram extension to AAMI Stadium was cancelled and that the $200 million light rail to the Port would be deferred indefinitely.

SACA closed its membership books 4 years ago, btw, and with the agreed requirements of Adelaide Football Club, Port Power and Port Adelaide FC there are unlikely to be any memberships with Adelaide Oval privileges available for some years.

Enjoy, taxpayers of SA.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#670 Post by dsriggs » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:48 am

You do know nobody's going to take your opinion seriously when you load your posts like that? You write about Foley living in the AIR apartments, and Rann sucking up to various sporting big-wigs, but do you really think that the Liberals are slugging it out in factories struggling to make ends meet? Politicians on both sides cater to the big end of town, and we should take this as a given.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#671 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:53 am

dsriggs, I could not agree with you more. Sure politicians and the big end of town patronise each other.

However, it is the job of the statesman (and woman) to ensure that the smaller end of town is looked after as well.

For example, what if you or I who as South Australians had each contributed our $300 cash (man, woman and child) to the new oval, then found that we could not get in because the event was either

a) all sold out to members of SACA, SANFL and AFL

or

b) despite paying $300, we could not afford the price of admission

As for loading my post, I am probably guilty. I am not entirely alcohol free at present and I may have been less subtle than I ought.

I shall leave with the closing remark that I bet the opening ceremony for the new '--------- Stadium' will be a ripper, and anyone who is not a politician already should immediately become one in order to get a seat at the Main Trough.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#672 Post by Will » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:42 am

I think bringing the ship 'City of Adelaide' to Port Adelaide is an excellent idea, as if done correctly could become a significant tourist attraction in the Port.

Considering that it only costs $1 million to bring it here, surely such a venture could be funded by the local council. I recall reading that the mayor of Port Adelaide has said that he wants the port to be the "museum capital of Australia". Bringing the City of Adelaide here, would surely be evidence that he and the council are not just speaking but doing.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#673 Post by Prince George » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:58 am

stumpjumper wrote:It's a shame - a similar ship in London, the Cutty Sark, has drawn 300,000 visitors a year for the last 50 years to the arse end of London.
Mind you, the Cutty Sark wasn't just any old ship. It's one of the most famous merchant ships in history and in it's day was arguably the fastest ship in the world.

yipiyiyo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#674 Post by yipiyiyo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:31 am

Hi Stumpjumper,
I hardly think that one lunch at Portobello (which by the way cooks a great meal) and a chat with a few residents gives you an unbiased insight.
I also miss the old boat yards but understand the reasons for it's removal.
You need to spend more time there. I am there 2-3 days per week.
I agree with you that bringing the City of Adelaide would add to the area. Great idea.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#675 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:06 pm

Your post was no 666 on this thread, yipiyiyo. I assume there'll be no special significance attached.

One beer etc in Portobello is no basis for anything - agreed.

The Cutty Sark is a much more famous ship than the City of Adelaide, Prince George, but interestingly it only spent a few years losading tea from China and was not regarded as very fast then. But on the Australian wool run, it became a legendary speedster. It visited Port Adelaide and the gulf wool ports numerous times.

If Mayor Johansen wants the Port to become a museum precinct, he'd best have the support of the state government, ideally through a govt tourism focus on the Port. There is precious little govt focus or funding at the moment.

He has already overseen the disappearance of the military vehicles museum to Edinburgh, and the closure of the 'living museum' of the Birkenhead Boatyards. I still can't understand the govy's rationale for that and would be pleased if someone could enlighten me.

At the risk of repeating myself, I still can't see the rationale for closing the yards.