ONH: [Port Adelaide] Newport Quays | $1.2b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Re: #Redevelopment - Port Adelaide Waterfront $1.2billion

#241 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:40 pm

Here's the url for the letter from Todd Brown of Newport Quays threatening Port Adelaide Enfield Council with legal action if they make any further negative comments about the Newport Quays development.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/pdf/ ... 0quays.pdf

Go the Power...

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#242 Post by Pants » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:24 pm

I can't see anything wrong with it.

The consultation is between the developers and council. There is no need for the council to go public with their concerns. The appropriate forum for the council is in discussions with the developers directly where they can request that their proposals be amended to account for their concerns.

If/when the proposals get to public consultation stage, it becomes a different story.

If what Todd Brown writes is to be believed, the council made an agreement not to go public and breached it.

I'd be doing the exact same thing if I were the developer.
Last edited by Pants on Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

bva
High Rise Poster!

#243 Post by bva » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:28 pm

i agree
if the council entered into a planing development agreement (or likewise) then they are not acting professional
there may be other factors behind their approach but my guess it is political with officers having to act accordingly for members

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#244 Post by Cruise » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:42 pm

took some pics today:
Excuse the quality (camera phone)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#245 Post by Norman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Looks very nice, thanks for that!

metalMONSTER
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#246 Post by metalMONSTER » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Looks pretty good, especially the water

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#247 Post by Ho Really » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks for the pics Cruise Control. Pity the shoreline looks (and probably smells) terrible at low tide otherwsie it would be perfect. I wonder whether they'll dredge it, or maybe they should have done that before starting the project.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#248 Post by Pikey » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:29 pm

You can actually see the two tower cranes from the city, just.

Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#249 Post by stumpjumper » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:39 pm

Nice brick wall. I've just heard that a couple of the guys from Port Sailing Club to Scott Salisbury's Adelaide Marina on the other side of the proposed bridges have discovered that their 14 metre boats won't fit because there are no berths big enough! Salisbury's marina is about three times the price of a berth at the old Port Sailing Club anyway.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#250 Post by Pants » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:53 pm

I'm really hoping they do something special in the next few stages. What's been done so far looks 'nice', but these are going to become 2020's version of the 1970s yellow brick flats if they're not careful - they all pretty much look the same.

They've f**ked up a large portion of prime riverfront land here in Brisbane with crammed together prefab dogboxes with a few stock-standard architectural features like a bit of stone, wood or steel and I'd hate to see them do the same for the whole Port Adelaide development. The renders of the latest stage look fairly promising - let's hope they don't get dumbed down.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#251 Post by rogue » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:17 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Nice brick wall. I've just heard that a couple of the guys from Port Sailing Club to Scott Salisbury's Adelaide Marina on the other side of the proposed bridges have discovered that their 14 metre boats won't fit because there are no berths big enough! Salisbury's marina is about three times the price of a berth at the old Port Sailing Club anyway.
Where you been stumpjumper? Bit quiet these days......

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#252 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm with you, Pants.

Rogue - I bin round...

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#253 Post by Pants » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:22 pm

stumpjumper wrote:I'm with you, Pants.
With me on what mate, this?
I can't see anything wrong with it.

The consultation is between the developers and council. There is no need for the council to go public with their concerns. The appropriate forum for the council is in discussions with the developers directly where they can request that their proposals be amended to account for their concerns.

If/when the proposals get to public consultation stage, it becomes a different story.

If what Todd Brown writes is to be believed, the council made an agreement not to go public and breached it.

I'd be doing the exact same thing if I were the developer.
Seriously though, the more I think about Port Adelaide the more I think they have to build with integrity and a nod to the Port's great history. I'm too far away to go and see whether they're doing that for myself, but imagine that their target profit margins won't let them do it.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#254 Post by stumpjumper » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:06 pm

No, I meant I'm with you in that since we have to wear this development, I hope like you thay can do a good job.

Next time you're in Adelaide, check out the Majestic Apartments development to the south of the Lion Hotel in Melbourne St, North Adelaide. It's a tight site and a high density development, but its done so much better than a lot of other projects of similar density and site contraints.

Good design doesn't cost much more to think up, and only a bit more to produce if you're careful. All you need is a bit of pride in your work.

I'd like to ask someone like Todd Brown from the Newport Quays consortium if he would consider living in one of his creations at Edgewater in the Port.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#255 Post by Pants » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:18 am

I knew what you meant, just having a bit of fun.

I know the Majestic Apartments and agree with you that they're well done.

I don't know how much you know about Brisbane, but I'd much rather Port Adelaide apartments resemble the woolstore redevelopments up here and see a few conversions of old buildings rather than just becoming a a square sea of glass and prefab concrete with dashes of "architectural aubergine" (very funny btw).