COM: Harbourtown Stage 3 Expansion

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #COM: Harbourtown | Stage 3 Expansion

#136 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Direct Factory Outlet.

There's on in Canberra. It's a similar concept to Harbourtown except with out the bother of design, aesthetics, convenience, community integration and all that nonsense.

It's literally a giant shed in the middle of a field.

Bleh.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#137 Post by skyliner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Inside DFO's are quite impressive - like a mall but not quite as good. Externally they a lot to be desired. Ugly, ugly oversized cement walls with little thought to aesthetics. (Like visual pollution).

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#138 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:36 pm

skyliner wrote:Inside DFO's are quite impressive
Canberra's isn't. It's a shed that tried to be a shopping mall but couldn't make it.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#139 Post by Pistol » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:45 pm

Hey come on Adam. The quality of shops inside DFO (in Canberra anyway) is better than Harbourtown. You gotta love the Industrie outlet store.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#140 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 pm

The tenants are alright, I'll pay that. However I don't think it's the sort of development we should be wanting.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#141 Post by JamesXander » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:24 pm

pushbutton wrote:JamesXander, I'm curious as to why you think closing one of the entrances would improve Harbourtown?

You have to think about the lay out. By having two entrances next to each other, your not encouring people to travel the whole section of the centre. By having an entrance at either end, you are giving maximum exposure to all the shops within the centre.

On a side note, and something that I am sure everyone will be happy to hear....Costco has pegged the land opposite Harbourtown, where the Quix Mobile service station and other land is currently, as the site for their future Adelaide store

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#142 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:59 pm

JamesXander wrote:On a side note, and something that I am sure everyone will be happy to hear....Costco has pegged the land opposite Harbourtown, where the Quix Mobile service station and other land is currently, as the site for their future Adelaide store
That was sarcasm, right?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#143 Post by rhino » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:59 am

JamesXander wrote:
pushbutton wrote: By having two entrances next to each other, your not encouring people to travel the whole section of the centre. By having an entrance at either end, you are giving maximum exposure to all the shops within the centre.
...and frustrating the hell out of your shoppers, as well as not meeting OHSW guidelines. I avoid stores that force you to walk all the way through even if what you want is right by where you entered. I realize that in your scenario I could easily turn around and exit from where I entered, but in stores like Toys R Us, Le Cornu, and Ikea, they have taken your model to the extreme. Why not allow the shopper to decide whether or not they want to travel the whole mall? Have more entrances, I say.
cheers,
Rhino

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#144 Post by pushbutton » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:56 am

I see your point, but if you look at most major suburban shopping malls (I'm talking about enclosed ones) they have lots of entrances.

Imagine if Westfield Marion only had one entrance at either end?

Apart from anything else it's a safety issue and in a large shopping centre (and Harbourtown is fairly large) it's an issue of customer convenience as well, and also accessibility for older customers or those with mobility difficulties.

Personally I agree with the suggestion that the entrance that's currently blocked off should be open to all customers, making 4 entrances.

However I'm not all that bothered because I think the whole complex is poorly designed, and really doesn't have anything about it that attracts me (the prices are not noticably cheaper than anywhere else) so I rarely if ever shop there.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#145 Post by Prince George » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:48 pm

JamesXander wrote:On a side note, and something that I am sure everyone will be happy to hear....Costco has pegged the land opposite Harbourtown, where the Quix Mobile service station and other land is currently, as the site for their future Adelaide store
Have you got a source on this?

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#146 Post by JamesXander » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 pm

A source who has a source apparently.

But then again my sourceful information on woolworths & the Big Box havent been too accurate. But that said, the costco plan does feel to make sense. The land has been largely unused for quite awhile, mobil is scaleing down operations in Australia retail wise, and its within the low cost area of Ikea & Harbourtown.

Crooked
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#147 Post by Crooked » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Target is opening a small store at harbour town this year in the same style of the one to open soon at Pasadena. No word yet whether it will be a clearance store or range new product.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#148 Post by Adeguy72 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 pm

JamesXander wrote:Mobil is scaleing down operations in Australia retail wise
Mobil has sold it's Australian retail operations.

The SA sites were purchased by On The Run.

The site opposite Harbour Town has already been rebranded & as far as I know won't be closing.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#149 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:57 am

Adeguy72 wrote:
JamesXander wrote:Mobil is scaleing down operations in Australia retail wise
Mobil has sold it's Australian retail operations.

The SA sites were purchased by On The Run.

The site opposite Harbour Town has already been rebranded & as far as I know won't be closing.
Which should have never been approved. People and media always whinge about Woolworths and Coles, though the Peregrine Corporation (On The Run) now have the monopoly in the petrol station game here in Adelaide.

However I've noticed a new player lately called Mogas. Mobil supply the fuel and you can get the fuel discount dockets from Foodland/Drakes similar to other supermarket chains. Which is good news :)