[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: #APP: Westfield Marion Expansion | $280m | 150,000sqm

#136 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Norman wrote:
peas_and_corn wrote:What supermarket is not already at Marion?

I hope this goes ahead rather than what happened to the TTP reno...
Foodland. Or maybe even Aldi!
Apparently Westfield don't like Foodland- I cannot think of a Westfield shopping centre that has one (though I stand to be corrected...)

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#137 Post by rhino » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:06 am

peas_and_corn wrote:Apparently Westfield don't like Foodland- I cannot think of a Westfield shopping centre that has one (though I stand to be corrected...)
Or maybe The Mighty South Aussies (Foodland) don't like Westfield.
cheers,
Rhino

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#138 Post by Shuz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 pm

I know it may seem a little silly to rant about this; but it just occured to me, just how big 150,000sqm of retail space is - Why are we placing such massive complexes into the suburbs? I'm not saying Westfield Marion should be in the city; but I do definetly believe that Adelaide has a few too many 'shopping centres' and that there should be a consolidation of the smaller centres to relocate across the metro area and have 7 'shopping complexes', ie; one for the north-west (West Lakes) north-east (Tea Tree Plaza), south-east (Mount Barker), south-west (Marion) far south (Colonnades) far north (Elizabeth) and then for the CBD, to drive retail space across the streets in 'retail strips' rather than in a mall; ala so to create the entire CBD as a 'shopping zone'.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#139 Post by JamesXander » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Shuz wrote:I know it may seem a little silly to rant about this; but it just occured to me, just how big 150,000sqm of retail space is - Why are we placing such massive complexes into the suburbs? I'm not saying Westfield Marion should be in the city; but I do definetly believe that Adelaide has a few too many 'shopping centres' and that there should be a consolidation of the smaller centres to relocate across the metro area and have 7 'shopping complexes', ie; one for the north-west (West Lakes) north-east (Tea Tree Plaza), south-east (Mount Barker), south-west (Marion) far south (Colonnades) far north (Elizabeth) and then for the CBD, to drive retail space across the streets in 'retail strips' rather than in a mall; ala so to create the entire CBD as a 'shopping zone'.
every city needs major shopping centres, its the future.

Marion is a destination centre, just as is Habourtown.

the shops in those centres turn over HUGE amounts.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#140 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:15 pm

James, sorry, but Harbourtown is far from a "destination". It's more a bunch of shops that lies in a random location off Tapleys Hill Road. Marion at least has a cinema, food court and dining area that allows it to be used longer than the regulated shopping hours the normal shops are open for. It also has a major bus interchange that itself draws visitors to it.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#141 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:58 am

Norman wrote:James, sorry, but Harbourtown is far from a "destination". It's more a bunch of shops that lies in a random location off Tapleys Hill Road. Marion at least has a cinema, food court and dining area that allows it to be used longer than the regulated shopping hours the normal shops are open for. It also has a major bus interchange that itself draws visitors to it.
Habourtown is a destination. It may not have as many attractions as Marion, but it's in the middle of nowhere meaning people must make a concerted effort to get there. You may be stumbling on the terminology; in retail you have two distinct types of outlet. There's destination shopping where people go there for the explicit purpose of shopping there. And then there's casual or opportunity outlets that rely mostly on passing traffic (foot or motor).

If you think about it there's a lot of gray areas in the classification of an outlet. For example, Dick Smith Electronics is historically a destination shop, where people made the concerted effort to go buy a particular item. But since they took over Tandy and have installed themselves in some Westfields they now see a lot of casual shoppers, with people who are just walking by because they are already in the centre.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#142 Post by ReallyBad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:34 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:
Norman wrote:

Apparently Westfield don't like Foodland- I cannot think of a Westfield shopping centre that has one (though I stand to be corrected...)
Foodland was at Marion - where the bowling alley is now - they moved out shortly after the 97 reno (if memory serves)
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#143 Post by AtD » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:38 pm

There was a Foodland in TTP where Harris Scarfe is now, probably in the early 90s. Before then it was some other brand of supermarket no one has ever heard of since (Arrow?), then it was a "Kidsworld" or something (like Toys R Us) before it sat empty for a while. Then came BiLo, Coles and now Harris Scarfe.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#144 Post by JamesXander » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 am

Norman wrote:James, sorry, but Harbourtown is far from a "destination". It's more a bunch of shops that lies in a random location off Tapleys Hill Road. Marion at least has a cinema, food court and dining area that allows it to be used longer than the regulated shopping hours the normal shops are open for. It also has a major bus interchange that itself draws visitors to it.

Its a destination in terms of people go there to spend ALOT of money on shopping, instead of browsing. Habourtown actually has low traffic, but high yielding stores.

Thats what marion is too. People go there with the intention of spending money.

Thats what a destination shopping centre is.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#145 Post by fishinajar » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:56 am

rhino wrote:
peas_and_corn wrote:Apparently Westfield don't like Foodland- I cannot think of a Westfield shopping centre that has one (though I stand to be corrected...)
Or maybe The Mighty South Aussies (Foodland) don't like Westfield.
kudos :)

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#146 Post by pushbutton » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:36 am

peas_and_corn wrote:
Norman wrote:

There used to be a Foodland in Westfield Marion and in Westfield Tea Tree Plaza, so I don't think it's that Westfield don't like Foodland!

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#147 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:04 pm

pushbutton wrote: There used to be a Foodland in Westfield Marion and in Westfield Tea Tree Plaza, so I don't think it's that Westfield don't like Foodland!
But that was a loooong time ago- any recent examples?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#148 Post by AtD » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:32 pm

Foodland is a SA company so there's not a lot of centres to choose from.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#149 Post by Cruise » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:10 pm

There is a Foodland in Munno Para Shopping centre which is the largest supermarket in the country.

Yes it is.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#150 Post by crawf » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:25 pm

I thought it was the biggest in SA, not Australia?

Anyway I haven't been to Munno Para Shopping City in years