[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO] Re: #ONH: Westfield Marion Expansion | $280m | 150,000sqm

#286 Post by jk1237 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Omicron wrote:Yay! For reasons unbeknownst to me, I want to go.
Ben wrote: Founded in New York in 1965, TGI Friday’s is credited with inventing the happy hour and famed Long Island Iced Tea cocktail.
Ah, that could be it.
tut tut mr omi

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#287 Post by Uncle Monty » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:53 am

We recently ate at TGIF's in Dubai and whilst it had a fantastic view of the Burj Khalifa, was horrified to find that they didn't serve alcohol. Hope this was just a Dubai thing!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#288 Post by Howie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Nice.. if you get a chance post some pics from Dubai in the Beyond South Australia sub-forum
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... m.php?f=18

Would love to see them :)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#289 Post by Will » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Uncle Monty wrote:We recently ate at TGIF's in Dubai and whilst it had a fantastic view of the Burj Khalifa, was horrified to find that they didn't serve alcohol. Hope this was just a Dubai thing!
Well Dubai is in a Muslim country; Marion is not. Hence, fear not.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#290 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

The application to install car barriers and pay booths at Westfield marion is now on public notification. As part of the application it talks in detial about the expansion.

In October last year Westfield applied for variations (which I don't think have been talked about on here). Rather then one big upgrade they are looking at doing them in 2 stages. The first includes the relocation of Big W (Refit was only completed late 2010). I assume this application means Westfield are still serious about this happening.

Some copied detials are:
Variation to the Expansion of the Westfield Marion Shopping Centre

In October 2010, Westfield Limited sought and was granted Consent to vary the original development
application.

The essential nature of the authorised development remained unaffected by the proposed
amendments in that the development still sought:

“Alterations and additions to the Westfield Marion Shopping Centre including
approximately 18,275 square metres of additional retail floor space, additional decked
car parking to the north of the Centre and adjacent to Diagonal Road, and removal of
three significant trees”.

The nature of the application to vary the original consent was constrained to amendments to the
design of the authorised development which comprised:

• a small reduction in the overall incremental floor space increase from 18,275 square metres to
18,152 square metres;

• undertaking the development in two distinct stages where Stage 1 consists of primarily the
ground level (Level 1) changes to the shopping centre retail floor space, and Stage 2 consists
of the balance of the works to the first floor (Level 2);

• the principal changes to the ground floor (Level 1) comprise the relocation of the Big W store
to the north, and the establishment of a complete parallel mall together with specialty shops
to the north of the existing mall;

• other changes at ground level include:
- the construction of a standalone tenancy for ’Bowland’ at the northern end of the
north/south pedestrian boulevard adjacent the new recreation and community
precinct;

• the principal changes to the first floor (Level 2) comprise the retention of David Jones and
Target in their current location, and reduction in the extent of retail floor space adjacent the
new parallel mall; and

• amendments to the decked car park arrangements include:
- deletion of the car park decks to the south of the existing Bunnings Warehouse store;
- relocation of the Level 1 Mezzanine 1 deck into the main car park structure;
- enlargement of the Level 1 Mezzanine 2 deck, including the establishment of roof top
parking to the new ’Bowland’ tenancy;
- establishment of new Level 2 parking areas adjacent the north-western wall of the
existing David Jones and Target stores;
- deletion of the Level 2 Mezzanine 2 deck to the south of the existing Bunnings
Warehouse store; and
- reconfigure the Level 3 deck retaining the built form central to the shopping centre
land.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#291 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:03 am

So I emailed david jones to find out when they are starting the level 2 refurbishment and the reply I go is there are no current plans to start refurbishment on level 2. That is just ridiculous. No wonder their sales are declining. It now feels like 2 very distinct stores. A high class womanswear and cosmetics on ground floor and a Harris Scarfe type menswear and homewares on level 2.

I can only assume it has something to do with the actual Westfield refurbishment as i think they were going to take up some more room, but who knows really.

Nothing annoys me more, then when things are down half assed.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#292 Post by pushbutton » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:02 pm

I agree with the last post, and in this particular case it's been done precisely half-assed!

As you said, maybe it is because the shape and size of level 2 might still change when the Westfield development happens (if it ever does).

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#293 Post by Omicron » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:48 pm

I'd think they make far more money from everything that's on the ground floor - womenswear, cosmetics, women's accessories etc. - hence the haste to get that ready for Christmas. Better to wait until all the Christmas and post-Christmas rush is over before launching into another construction site upstairs.
the principal changes to the first floor (Level 2) comprise the retention of David Jones and
Target in their current location, and reduction in the extent of retail floor space adjacent the
new parallel mall
Maybe they thought they were getting more space and now aren't, because of...
amendments to the decked car park arrangements includ[ing]
...establishment of new Level 2 parking areas adjacent the north-western wall of the
existing David Jones and Target stores
Besides, it's Myer Marion that needs brickbats. That ghastly jumble sale hasn't changed for years.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#294 Post by pushbutton » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:37 pm

The original plan was for a completely new David Jones store, but the modified plans keep it in it's current location hence why they've been confident enough to upgrade the ground floor. I'm only guessing but as I said maybe the upper level will be moved slightly so they're waiting till the Westfield plans are finalised before upgrading upstairs.

I agree the Myer store is a disgrace!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#295 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Myer Marion > Best & Less

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#296 Post by advantix » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 am

As far as I was aware the existing mall won't be getting much (if any) of a facelift when the parallel mall is eventually added.

Totally agree about Myer Marion... its still stuck in the 1980s. The biggest change was removing 1 of the walls in the middle of level 2 which used to enclose the glassware/crockery. Wonder if they have a very long-term lease with Westfield and therefore can get away without refurbishment. Even the Myer city store looks very tired.

metro
Legendary Member!

#297 Post by metro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 am

^^ Myer in the city hasnt had a refurbishment since it opened 21 years ago, there have been small changes but it's still pretty much exactly the same as it was in 1991. Wasnt the David Jones in the city actually thinking about refurbishing? and it's only 12 years old :shock:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#298 Post by Ben » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:09 am

The Cinemas can watch their patronage freefall now.
Westfield Marion shoppers to pay to park

PAID car parking will be introduced to Westfield Marion Shopping Centre.

The Advertiser understands the Development Assessment Commission last night approved the decision that will see the introduction of ticket machines and boom gates.

Marion Council will hold a press conference at 10.30am.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#299 Post by Will » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 am

Ben wrote:The Cinemas can watch their patronage freefall now.
Westfield Marion shoppers to pay to park

PAID car parking will be introduced to Westfield Marion Shopping Centre.

The Advertiser understands the Development Assessment Commission last night approved the decision that will see the introduction of ticket machines and boom gates.

Marion Council will hold a press conference at 10.30am.
Good news for the revitalisation of the CBD.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#300 Post by AtD » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 am

Westfield's general way of doing things is free/discount parking if you buy a movie ticket.