[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: Westfield Marion Expansion | $350m

#556 Post by Pikey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:23 pm

I've heard that once Bunnings get their planning approval sorted at their Pasadena site and build their new store, this site will be closed, the building demolished and a three level car park built in its place.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#557 Post by Adeguy72 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:26 pm

Pikey wrote:I've heard that once Bunnings get their planning approval sorted at their Pasadena site and build their new store, this site will be closed, the building demolished and a three level car park built in its place.
Surely they would build a replacement store though? I visit Bunnings Marion often and it is always busy. There has been a hardware store (Lloyds or Bunnings) at Marion since the 1960's. The current store is the third version - I am sure Westfield would find them a site for a replacement store.

FYI - The original building was in the middle of the carpark pre extension 1 in the 1980's (probably somewhere like where Best & Less are), then they moved to where Dan Murphys & Super Cheap are, before moving to the current location maybe late 1990's?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#558 Post by neoballmon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:44 pm

I can't see them closing the marion store. Noarlunga and Seaford are much closer to each other than Marion and Pasedena will be.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#559 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Agree with neoballmon, I highly doubt they'll close Marion. In unrelated news, Bunnings are likely to purchase the Masters Airport site.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#560 Post by Pikey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Adeguy72 wrote:
Pikey wrote:I've heard that once Bunnings get their planning approval sorted at their Pasadena site and build their new store, this site will be closed, the building demolished and a three level car park built in its place.
Surely they would build a replacement store though? I visit Bunnings Marion often and it is always busy. There has been a hardware store (Lloyds or Bunnings) at Marion since the 1960's. The current store is the third version - I am sure Westfield would find them a site for a replacement store.

FYI - The original building was in the middle of the carpark pre extension 1 in the 1980's (probably somewhere like where Best & Less are), then they moved to where Dan Murphys & Super Cheap are, before moving to the current location maybe late 1990's?
I was told by someone who works at said Bunnings. Evidently Westfield are adamant on having the land for the multilevel carpark.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#561 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:48 pm

I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#562 Post by Torrens_5022 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:17 pm

Had a look today at the new mall today, was pretty busy in the mall part, Aldi was doing good business, lots of people but nowhere near crowded. The extension does seem a bit disjointed from the rest of the mall, Woolworths seems like it's a the end of a dark cul de sac.
Was also at Bunnings and thinking about the idea of demolishing it to build a multi story carpark, it seems odd that would demolish the Bunnings when they have a large single story carpark to the east of Bunnings which will be right adjacent to the new mall when built they could use for this, plus there's also the the triangle shaped car park next to Myer approx 360 spaces, plus the 240 parks on the Diagonal Rd - A single deck could add 500 carparks, a single deck over the carpark east of Bunnings could add 700 carparks.
How many extra carparks does Marion really need, not enough that Bunnings need to be demolished

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#563 Post by Ben » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:15 pm

That was just a rumor. I think it's highly unlikely it will get demolished in the medium term.

bits
Legendary Member!

#564 Post by bits » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:04 pm

Maybe Bunnings has a plan to exit externally owned Mall land in general.
They recently closed the Munno Para store to relocate to the middle of nowhere.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#565 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:01 am

This is a bit left of field, pure speculation.

If Bunnings did have a plan to leave the Westfield, they would likely want to stay close to the area as there are minimal hardware stores nearby. Could the site on Marion Road currently being used by York as a site office for the Darlington works be a potential site? Close to Westfield, large site, close to main roads.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#566 Post by Allkai » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:48 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 122763875c
The new mall has replaced 120 carparks but the second stage of the development – due to start late next year – will add about 770 spaces to the second storey carpark near the cinema.
Also, Grill'd to replace Hungry Jacks......

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#567 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:20 am

Allkai wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 122763875c
The new mall has replaced 120 carparks but the second stage of the development – due to start late next year – will add about 770 spaces to the second storey carpark near the cinema.
Also, Grill'd to replace Hungry Jacks......
Prefer the SA burger brands, but this will be good for cleaning up that entry point, really run-down...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#568 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:36 am

I went to Marion today between 8pm and 9pm, and the shopping centre was packed, especially in the new food precinct. It looks great, definitely a lot more interesting than the rest of the shopping centre. I also noticed that a lot of the empty shops I saw around 3-4 months ago have all been filled, with the old Dick Smith store currently undergoing a change. Looking forward to the next few stages coming to fruition!

A few photos from today:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#569 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:08 am

Look really good

Hope they extend this design throughout the entire centre. The main two-level mall is overdue for a facelift.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#570 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:53 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:Had a look today at the new mall today, was pretty busy in the mall part, Aldi was doing good business, lots of people but nowhere near crowded. The extension does seem a bit disjointed from the rest of the mall, Woolworths seems like it's a the end of a dark cul de sac.
Alot of Westfields (and in fact shopping centres in general) do tend to have disjointed looks when one part is upgraded/extended. The new part of West Lakes is an example of this, but also seen it at Southland when I was there last year.

Colonnades is another example where the new bit looks completely disjointed to the rest of the mall.

Not saying they're bad, but the change from the existing to the new bits are as subtle as a sledgehammer.