[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#46 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:13 am

pushbutton wrote: I would like to see it looking something a bit like the upgraded Melbourne Central (but on a smaller scale obviously).
As would I. I always make it a must-do everytime I goto Melbourne, to walk through Melbourne Central... just to see what else is new. I think the scale of Melbourne Central is just right, good mix of retail space, and food courtyards without being too overbearing.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#47 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:46 pm

Every Myer I've been to it has 2 or more floors

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#48 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:51 pm

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:You cant compare anything in Adelaide or even Australia to London.
why not? :?
I meant shopping complexes

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#49 Post by Pikey » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:16 am

There is going to be a extension, so this thread is no longer needed. Please use the other.

Cheers
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[PRO]

#50 Post by pushbutton » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:17 pm

So did we all!

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[PRO]

#51 Post by shuza » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:55 am

Does Marion need to be any bigger than it already is... god, Ive been there so many times and I still dont know where the food court is. Its TOO big!
Id prefer a new city mall.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#52 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:58 am

Haven't you heard of a map or direction signs?

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[PRO]

#53 Post by shuza » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:32 am

No I havent.

Please explain in as much detail poissibly about these 'maps' and 'direction signs' that you speak of. :roll:

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[PRO]

#54 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:47 pm

Can anyone give any info on what stores we are looking at for Marion??

Every frigging shop imaginable is in there so for an extra 100 stores to be added, there must be some designer labels going in there (eg; guess, A/X, and all them). Thing is that no other place in SA has these kinda shops which will be a bit weird.

On the other hand it will be good if they were because if Marion is up there with the largest shopping places in Australia, it will need to have appealing shops. If they don't then it will just be one big MASSIVE average shopping center with HEAPS of average shops.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO]

#55 Post by Redback20 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:28 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Can anyone give any info on what stores we are looking at for Marion??

Every frigging shop imaginable is in there so for an extra 100 stores to be added, there must be some designer labels going in there (eg; guess, A/X, and all them). Thing is that no other place in SA has these kinda shops which will be a bit weird.

On the other hand it will be good if they were because if Marion is up there with the largest shopping places in Australia, it will need to have appealing shops. If they don't then it will just be one big MASSIVE average shopping center with HEAPS of average shops.
Pretty sure you're right on that call, I read (in the messenger) the new shops would be high fashion/top end of market

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO]

#56 Post by Redback20 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:33 pm

crawf wrote:
Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:You cant compare anything in Adelaide or even Australia to London.
why not? :?
I meant shopping complexes
The shopping malls in Oz generally dwarf those in Europe. There's certainly nothing on Marion's scale anywhere in London or in the UK as a whole. The only place I've seen bigger is the huge hypermarket complex at the French side of the Channel Tunnel in Calais.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[PRO]

#57 Post by pushbutton » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:00 pm

I beg to differ on that Redback. The Trafford Centre in Manchester UK and Meadowhall in Sheffield UK are both roughly the same size as Westfield Marion.

There is also Westfield Merry Hill in UK which I haven't been to but from the Westfield site it sounds like it may also be of a similar size.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

[PRO]

#58 Post by Diamond » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:36 am

Back in my homeland, Russia, we would KILL for a shopping mall of the standards that exist here in Australia. We should really appreciate what we have available to us here

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO]

#59 Post by Redback20 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:13 pm

They are similar pushbutton true, but I lived in sheffield for a number of years and Meadowhall would fit comfortably inside Marion IMO, it only has about 250 shops, the food court is tiny and the dept stores are much smaller area-wise than david jones or myers. I'd say marion is a good 40-50% bigger even as it is now. Trafford centre is about similar to meadowhall but impossible to park... and if you do get inside, you soon wish you hadn't! :x
You could walk end to end in either of them in 5mins whereas I get lost in Marion without my 11yo daughter to come with me :wink:

Merry Hill in birmingham is fairly old & grotty, and the malls in london such as brent cross are surprisingly much smaller and older.
The French channel ones are pretty awesome tho, although not a fair comparison with us as they cater for the cross-channel trade for lower GST in France.

A big plus for Adelaide I reckon!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#60 Post by crawf » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:40 pm

Wow, I would of thought London or the UK would of had better shopping centres than Adelaide.