[COM] Highway Inn (Stage 2) | 4 Storeys | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #PRO: Highway Inn | $75m | 10lvls | Residential | Plympton

#46 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Great looking building in a great location. I'm looking forward to this one.

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#47 Post by waz94 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:57 pm

What would make a lot of sense in this development is too build a tram overpass over Marion road and have an elevated tram stop that is linked by a footbridge to the TOD. That tram crossing causes all sorts of problems due to its location between Anzac Hwy and Cross Road.
Just a thought.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:16 pm

waz94 wrote:What would make a lot of sense in this development is too build a tram overpass over Marion road and have an elevated tram stop that is linked by a footbridge to the TOD. That tram crossing causes all sorts of problems due to its location between Anzac Hwy and Cross Road.
Just a thought.
I would prefer an underpass for Marion Road from just before Cross Road to just after ANZAC Highway, underpassing Cross Road, the Tram and ANZAC Highway.

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#49 Post by waz94 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah so would i but cost wise i think that that is a waste of money. I think by just removing the tram crossing at Marion Road (and possibly Cross Road) would improve traffic flow during peak times considerably.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by Prince George » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:36 pm

AtD wrote:Georgey-boy, the tram stop is a about 400m away from the intersection. I read it as the car parks being inside the building, and since there's 20 shops plus five food places, I expect the majority of the spaces to be for the retailers.

It'd be extremely unrealistic to expect no car parks for 20 retail tenancies. The PT is reasonable in the area, but not that good.

Do I have the location of this building correct?
http://buildinglist.photoadelaide.com/M ... maploc=140
Ah, I misread this as being behind the Highway Inn, rather than including that site. BTW, AtD, your map never works for me; I only ever see a blank screen.

Let's see, 100-ish apartments probably accounts for 150-ish parking spots, similar for the supermarket. That's about 300 spots, do the remaining tenancies really require 200+ parking spaces? I notice that the article refers to it as "one of the state’s first transport-oriented developments"; after all, cars are transport :) .

I like the talk that "the project’s retail mix would include restaurants, cafes, bookshops and other outlets to encourage “interaction and activity” ", and that "car parks split across two levels" presumably means that some of it will be underground (doesn't the picture show above-ground parking over on the right?). That's at least a step in the right direction.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#51 Post by Brando » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:46 am

monotonehell wrote:This is not a TOD.

Note that it said "serviced apartments" -- that means hotel rooms.
So this is a hotel with shops and a big car park.

It's not walking like a TOD, nor quaking like a TOD, so it's not a TOD.

It's a nice development though.
Maybe you and i are the only ones to pick up on that Mono. I was asking myself the same thing till i read your post. TOD is designed to encourage residential living with a strong emphasis on PT. I'm sure people living there full time with jobs in the CBD is what they are trying to promote.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:12 am

Prince George wrote:Let's see, 100-ish apartments probably accounts for 150-ish parking spots, similar for the supermarket. That's about 300 spots, do the remaining tenancies really require 200+ parking spaces? I notice that the article refers to it as "one of the state’s first transport-oriented developments"; after all, cars are transport :)
A TOD is actally a Transit Oriented Development ;)

Besides, whenever I go past the Highway Inn on a Friday or Saturday night, the car park is usually full or close to full.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Prince George » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:42 am

Norman wrote:
Prince George wrote:I notice that the article refers to it as "one of the state’s first transport-oriented developments"; after all, cars are transport :)
A TOD is actally a Transit Oriented Development ;)
Indeed so, which is why I speculated that the misnaming in the article was in fact deliberate. ;)

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#54 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Cleared site of second hand / antique shop a week ago:

Last edited by Xaragmata on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#55 Post by Cruise » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:27 pm

Brando wrote:

Maybe you and i are the only ones to pick up on that Mono. I was asking myself the same thing till i read your post. TOD is designed to encourage residential living with a strong emphasis on PT. I'm sure people living there full time with jobs in the CBD is what they are trying to promote.
Yep thought the same thing. When are we going to start getting apartments that normal people can actually afford?

Omicron

#56 Post by Omicron » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Cruise wrote:
Brando wrote:

Yep thought the same thing. When are we going to start getting apartments that normal people can actually afford?
I'll save some boxes from work and set up a multi-box apartment complex in the parklands. Location, location, location, isn't it?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#57 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Omicron wrote:
I'll save some boxes from work and set up a multi-box apartment complex in the parklands. Location, location, location, isn't it?

That would be swell, seeing as they come from Kmart i guess that means good times would start in those boxes

skyliner

#58 Post by skyliner » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Very nice looking development. High rise along Anzac is something I think will increase - especially there. A TOD site eh! Possibly interesting ramifications for the tramline.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Xaragmata

#59 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:46 pm

skyliner wrote:Very nice looking development. High rise along Anzac is something I think will increase - especially there. A TOD site eh! Possibly interesting ramifications for the tramline.
The lane linking Glengyle Tce and Elizabeth Ave is currently closed for reconstruction, and can be a pedestrian link between the tram and
the Highway site - the house in Elizabeth Ave closest to the shops has been demolished recently...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by Norman » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:03 am

Going past this today I saw some works taking place, not sure what they were being done for though.