[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#421 Post by SBD » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:44 pm

mawsonguy wrote:I questioned DPTI about the current published plans for the interchanges which showed no ability for west bound traffic on PREXY and Waterloo Corner Rd to turn and travel north on the Northern Connector. This was their response:
.. the current design will cater for traffic travelling from the west wanting to access the Northern Connector and travel in a northerly direction at the Port River Expressway and Waterloo Interchanges.

The project team have been working with a wide range of key stakeholders to further develop the design at the interchanges. Detailed design will be developed with the main contractor (expected to be awarded April 2016). All feedback provided from the community is considered by the project team when progressing the design and project updates will be email to the interested community .
Is there a significant source of traffic for which that option would be preferable to other (existing) roads? Coming from Waterloo Corner Road, turning north at Port Wakefield Road would seem to be adequate, as there are currently no further traffic lights between there and the Northern Expressway interchange.

The Preliminary Concept Design on the DPTI website actually shows west/north from Waterloo Corner Road, it is missing the corresponding south/east option. It also shows the realigned Kings/Bolivar Roads alignment discussed above, but with north off/south on ramps only, retaining PWR for traffic to that area too.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#422 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:23 am

A community meeting regarding the Bolivar Road/Kings Road intersection re-alignment will be held tomorrow afternoon and Saturday morning.

Details: http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... oliver.pdf

ChillyPhilly

#423 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Norman wrote:A community meeting regarding the Bolivar Road/Kings Road intersection re-alignment will be held tomorrow afternoon and Saturday morning.

Details: http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... oliver.pdf
Anyone going? I might drop in.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#424 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Phew. They've positively altered the Bolivar Road/Kings Road intersection. I'll sketch a map soon.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#425 Post by Goodsy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:55 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Phew. They've positively altered the Bolivar Road/Kings Road intersection. I'll sketch a map soon.
Did they do this?
ChillyPhilly wrote:I'm surprised that there was no improved connection with Kings Road honestly (red line).

ChillyPhilly

#426 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Turns out, it has already been updated to the map on the infrastructure.sa.gov.au site.

A few points:
- No rail link in the current planning, although provision of land for it has been left on the western edge of the road (wherever possible).
- For Bolivar Road, DPTI is liaising with the City of Salisbury to best come up with the layout and location of the interchange below and its components.
- The emphasis on this smaller intersection is to 'give local engineering firms a go'. I'd possibly assume that this will be the case for other aspects of the project.
- DPTI want a 'full' interchange for here, but that's ultimately up to SA Water.
- No loss of significant trees.
- Closure and new deviation for Bolivar Road between Port Wakefield and Kings Roads. New intersection, now meeting at a roundabout.
- Red on the map is my minor edit to clarify two road closures.
- Northern Connector currently out to tender. Expected to be announced in first week or so of January.
- Will employ local workers and various firms.
- Completion in 2019.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#427 Post by mawsonguy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:33 am

Why is a "full" in terchange subject to SA Water? I can see that part of the Bolivar sewerage treatment plant land may need to be acquired but the actual plant is far enough away that it won't be affected. In fact, a full interchange would probably improve egress/ingress to the plant.

SBD

#428 Post by SBD » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:52 pm

mawsonguy wrote:Why is a "full" in terchange subject to SA Water? I can see that part of the Bolivar sewerage treatment plant land may need to be acquired but the actual plant is far enough away that it won't be affected. In fact, a full interchange would probably improve egress/ingress to the plant.
Could it have something to do with a sewer or water main? There looks like an easement directly straight on from Bolivar Road, but since that's under the middle of the planned bridge anyway, it's hard to spot what extra issue would arise.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#429 Post by Norman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:47 am

It could also be a fact that SA Water holds the title for the land, so any intrusion would have to be negotiated.

ChillyPhilly

#430 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:30 am

Norman wrote:It could also be a fact that SA Water holds the title for the land, so any intrusion would have to be negotiated.
Correct! The Bolivar Water Treatment Plant is to the west of this interchange.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#431 Post by drsmith » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:03 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Turns out, it has already been updated to the map on the infrastructure.sa.gov.au site.

A few points:
- No rail link in the current planning, although provision of land for it has been left on the western edge of the road (wherever possible).
- For Bolivar Road, DPTI is liaising with the City of Salisbury to best come up with the layout and location of the interchange below and its components.
- The emphasis on this smaller intersection is to 'give local engineering firms a go'. I'd possibly assume that this will be the case for other aspects of the project.
- DPTI want a 'full' interchange for here, but that's ultimately up to SA Water.
- No loss of significant trees.
- Closure and new deviation for Bolivar Road between Port Wakefield and Kings Roads. New intersection, now meeting at a roundabout.
- Red on the map is my minor edit to clarify two road closures.
- Northern Connector currently out to tender. Expected to be announced in first week or so of January.
- Will employ local workers and various firms.
- Completion in 2019.
The infrastructure briefing document had the design and construct contract being executed in April 2016 with construction starting in May 2016 and project completion in the second half of 2019. Allowing a few months for the final design component of the design and construct would tie in well with the contract being signed early in the new year.

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... r_2015.pdf

That's typically what has happened with the larger design and construct road projects in Perth. The contract price in the current infrastructure construction environment will be interesting. I'm trying to dream how Torrens to Pym might get another extension to become Torrens to Superway.

As an example from the west, the Roe Highway (Roe 8) extension in Perth at one point was expected to cost $740m. ~$500m is now budgeted for the build and there's been media speculation that the contract might be as low as $400m. Another Perth road project though (Northlink WA) though is using contract cost savings to upscale project components so there's also the extent that's occurred with the Northern Connector. The interchange bridge to Bolivar Road is an example that comes to mind.

My bolds.

ChillyPhilly

#432 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:36 am

Heard at a Christmas party on Sunday past (13th) that the guy employed to fly drones over major road projects charges $5k a day, because he can.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#433 Post by drsmith » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:25 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Heard at a Christmas party on Sunday past (13th) that the guy employed to fly drones over major road projects charges $5k a day, because he can.
Sounds like a bit of competition is needed in that market.

Someone in Perth flew one of those things over works associated with one of the Gateway WA interchanges and put the vision on YouTube, in 1080p.

ChillyPhilly

#434 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:50 am

drsmith wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Heard at a Christmas party on Sunday past (13th) that the guy employed to fly drones over major road projects charges $5k a day, because he can.
Sounds like a bit of competition is needed in that market.

Someone in Perth flew one of those things over works associated with one of the Gateway WA interchanges and put the vision on YouTube, in 1080p.
I agree completely. These drones are the 'big' ones. They require aviation licenses to fly them.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#435 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:04 pm

roundabout idea doesn't look that bad :)
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/