News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4531 Post by [Shuz] » Tue May 26, 2020 2:41 pm

20200526_143902.jpg
Or you could save money and just have them share the one tunnel.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4532 Post by TorrensSA » Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Adelaide-South Australia.gif
The three station option in blue and four station in purple, stations in black.

claybro

#4533 Post by claybro » Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 pm
Adelaide-South Australia.gif
The three station option in blue and four station in purple, stations in black.
The blue line is very close to what is commonly proposed. Anything else I think will be beyond the state finances, and probably could not be justified given the population growth in the medium term. given that even the Bowden station precinct in a high density location went from an underground station, to an open trench, I just don't believe there is the mindset in SA to push this through. Train use in SA is unfortunately a least desired last resort only option by most of the population and the train system shows a distinct lack of love.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4534 Post by TorrensSA » Tue May 26, 2020 4:39 pm

The blue line would work well with a city tram loop. Adelaide's CBD (postcode 5000) is huge compare it to Melbourne. Melbourne is about 1.8 x 0.9km (plus the triangle bit at the top) Adelaide is 1.6km from North to South Terrace and South Terrace is 2.6km long. Adelaide is 1.6 x 2.6km, we need a tram loop and underground train line.

ChillyPhilly

#4535 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue May 26, 2020 5:54 pm

Interestingly, the MATS Plan proposed abandoning ARS and constructing a subway under KWS.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#4536 Post by SBD » Tue May 26, 2020 7:50 pm

The Unley Road line on the map at the bottom of the previous page looks like a surface tram would be a better choice. I'm not sure if the rest of the Belair line could be converted to tram use, or if there are safety rules about putting light rail in the same corridor next to heavy freight rail.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#4537 Post by Goodsy » Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:50 pm
The Unley Road line on the map at the bottom of the previous page looks like a surface tram would be a better choice. I'm not sure if the rest of the Belair line could be converted to tram use, or if there are safety rules about putting light rail in the same corridor next to heavy freight rail.
how about tram on the surface and rail underneath, it doesnt have to be one or the other.

an interesting thought experiment, If the O-Bahn was converted to rail where would it's tunnel go? what about connecting Outer Harbor to O-Bahn rail corridor through a city tunnel

ChillyPhilly

#4538 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 pm
SBD wrote:
how about tram on the surface and rail underneath, it doesnt have to be one or the other.

an interesting thought experiment, If the O-Bahn was converted to rail where would it's tunnel go? what about connecting Outer Harbor to O-Bahn rail corridor through a city tunnel
The long-term dream is to have a bus tunnel underneath Grenfell and Currie Streets.

Patrick_27

#4539 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:14 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 pm
Goodsy wrote:
SBD wrote:

The long-term dream is to have a bus tunnel underneath Grenfell and Currie Streets.
This ^ They should seriously consider this kind of thing when building a rail tunnel. A bus tunnel can be a cut and cover, so they'd just need to burry a CBD loop a little deeper. I would think that an underground CBD rail loop would be focused primarily on the built up areas of the CBD, the business and market district, whereas a CBD tram loop could go further and span from the northern end of the CBD grid towards the CBD South (Hurtle and Whitmore Square(s)).

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#4540 Post by Goodsy » Tue May 26, 2020 9:36 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:14 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 pm
Goodsy wrote:

This ^ They should seriously consider this kind of thing when building a rail tunnel. A bus tunnel can be a cut and cover, so they'd just need to burry a CBD loop a little deeper. I would think that an underground CBD rail loop would be focused primarily on the built up areas of the CBD, the business and market district, whereas a CBD tram loop could go further and span from the northern end of the CBD grid towards the CBD South (Hurtle and Whitmore Square(s)).
they'd never consider a cut and cover tunnel in the city, regardless if it's bus or rail.. shutting down KWS for a cut and cover rail tunnel is what killed off the MATS plan subway

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4541 Post by SRW » Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 pm

I can't see what would be gained from a bus tunnel that can't be gained from a commuter mall on Grenfell/Currie? It'd be nice to think shifting transport underground would allow more space for pedestrians above, but you know it'd just be returned to cars.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#4542 Post by SBD » Tue May 26, 2020 10:53 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 pm
I can't see what would be gained from a bus tunnel that can't be gained from a commuter mall on Grenfell/Currie? It'd be nice to think shifting transport underground would allow more space for pedestrians above, but you know it'd just be returned to cars.
Surface level in Queen Street in Brisbane is much nicer than Grenfell Street. The bus station is underground. The street is not full of cars either.

Traffic management during a cut and cover operation would be a challenge but probably not impossible in stages.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4543 Post by SRW » Wed May 27, 2020 12:06 am

SBD wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:53 pm
SRW wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 pm
Surface level in Queen Street in Brisbane is much nicer than Grenfell Street. The bus station is underground. The street is not full of cars either.

Traffic management during a cut and cover operation would be a challenge but probably not impossible in stages.
But again, unlike rail, I don't see a huge benefit to undergrounding buses? Grenfell St is much wider than Queen St, so doesn't have the same capacity constraints. And an electric bus fleet seems likely in 10 or more years, reducing some of their unpleasantness. Either congestion or transit needs would to have change severely for it to become worthwhile. It should definitely be factored into longterm planning, and if we ever have enough money, then great -- all for it. But we should remain mindful of other priorities, as well as adverse effects on passenger numbers if driving is made easier at grade.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#4544 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed May 27, 2020 8:35 am

30 minute delays today for trains coming into Adelaide due to a signalling issue. Not been a good run for trains lately and those using them.

ChillyPhilly

#4545 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 27, 2020 9:53 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:35 am
30 minute delays today for trains coming into Adelaide due to a signalling issue. Not been a good run for trains lately and those using them.
Seems like I just missed this issue. Phew.