News & Discussion: Timetable Changes

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: Timetable Changes

#1 Post by AG » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:34 pm

The timetable changes that will be implemented will take place on August 21:
http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/ ... ugust.html

There are several more Go Zones and 1 new "Mega Go Zone" which runs along the length of the O-Bahn and out to Adelaide Airport.

Also new is the JetBus, connection to Adelaide Airport:
http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/guides/airport.html

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2 Post by sam » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:39 pm

The bus route that I live on will be a one of the new GoZones!
So for me and others living nearby, definately a great improvement.
However, I do imagine others will experience marginal or no noticeable improvement though.

Definately a step in the right direction by the OPT
http://www.opt.dtei.sa.gov.au/aboutus/mission.html

BradJC
Gold-Member ;)

#3 Post by BradJC » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:57 pm

Same for me. Bus every 15 mins! :)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AtD » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:17 am

I think it's fantastic what they've done around the O-Bahn. For 15 years, we've wanted a direct bus to Tea Tree Plaza, and the new 546 is exactly what I've always wanted, complete with a 15 minute go zone.

But they damn well wait for me to move out of home before they put it in!

Blah!

I would like to see how the busses around Parafield Gardens (my new home) go. The 404 here is useless as a train connection because it always arrives at Salisbury as the train is pulling out. Also the drivers around here seem to be much ruder than I'm used to.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AG » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:51 am

For other areas, particularly north-eastern Adelaide, and parts of the inner west, these changes will be of significant improvement. On my route by the Parade (122-125) it will marginally improve, and the frequency of buses through the day will drop from 10 minutes to a few less than that, though the gap between several buses is slightly longer.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Algernon » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:44 am

Marginal improvement for me. My bus now runs every 20 minutes, instead of 30.

AG, your poll is unclear. Improve PT in what way? There's a crap load of variables. Frequency? Safety? Accessibility? List goes on.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by AG » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:41 pm

chris wrote:Marginal improvement for me. My bus now runs every 20 minutes, instead of 30.

AG, your poll is unclear. Improve PT in what way? There's a crap load of variables. Frequency? Safety? Accessibility? List goes on.
In this case, frequency and accessibility.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AG » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:30 pm

Well across the entire network, some new numbered bus routes are still using old numbers to prevent confusion. All it does is make things more confusing IMO.

BTW, I've noticed recently that all the Smart Stops along The Parade seem to have been turned off apart from the time. Even the announcements have been turned off.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by AG » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:18 pm

Public response to the JetBus service after one day in operation:

Airport bus route
a 'useful' addition
By JILL PENGELLEY
22aug05
PUBLIC buses carried their first passengers to and from Adelaide Airport yesterday.

While not everyone has been happy with changes to their routes, university student Danielle Rugari, left, was delighted to travel from the airport to Salisbury Heights for the cost of a bus ticket.

"I had just come home from a weekend shopping in Melbourne," she said.

"Usually, I'd have to get someone to pick me up.

"I think it's very useful."

A tourism and hospitality management student, Ms Rugari, 19, said Melbourne Airport was better serviced, with ramps to roll suitcases aboard and a bus leaving every 15 minutes.

Adelaide's new JetBus service runs from the airport to the city and on to the northern suburbs.

Buses leaving the city for the airport operate between 4.50am and 12.05am.

In the north-eastern suburbs, the Liberal candidate for the seat of Florey, Pat Trainor, said changes to the bus route along Grand Junction Rd were disadvantaging elderly people.

"Over 1000 elderly residents of the Lutheran Homes Retirement Village and the Tea Tree Gardens retirement home have had their bus stop taken away from them and they feel abandoned," he said.

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by Thunderstruck » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:37 am

Joke for me using T500 service. Although its not a big problem, its nonetheless a small inconvenience that could easily be avoided. Changing route from King will and Nth tce to currie and grenfell and frome has certainly added to my time travel....and when getting from flinders uni and back every day to gulfview heights, u notice the difference. Have to walk ~500m now to change buses in city instead of catching it at the same one i got off from (outside the criterion).

Only positive is now I can walk down Waymouth and bypass CCT1 every day and cut thru into Currie thru the walkway thru there that t-bones from Bentham.

Also, because of the T501, there are less T500 buses, which is a bit of a pain but no huge problem. I'm not goin to ring up and abuse them, for the other changes around Adelaide seem tp be pretty good. Prolly added 20-25mins to my total travel time, takes ariound 2hrs 5mins now one way.

Ive also noticed they have re-fitted some of the Old MAN artics that used to service the O'Bahn with guide wheels again...so I guess with extra routes/trips they need more buses to service the O'Bahn.
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

Transport Timetables on your mobile

#11 Post by Al » Mon May 22, 2006 11:21 am

This is a good idea... I just wonder if it's updated live.

Transport timetables on your mobile phone
By ANNA VLACH
22may06

IN A world-first, commuters will soon have instant mobile phone access to every Adelaide Metro bus, train or tram timetable.

The software system, called Nomad OnBoard, will be available to Java-equipped mobiles from June 1, public transport division executive director Heather Webster said.

"It has been extensively trialled," she said.

"We have been running it with trains for about eight months to make sure it works well."

Nomad OnBoard is downloaded like a game or ring tone for a similar cost. Phone service providers are also charging for updates and additional timetables, but accessing stored information will be free, Ms Webster said.

"Once timetables are stored in your phone you can check them as many times as you like," she said.

Ms Webster said the program which had been sourced through private company Laborotech "at virtually no cost to the government" was "enormously clever".

"It really delivers to people," she said. "For example, if you were in the city with a friend and they were taking a different bus home to you, you could tell them when the next one was coming providing you knew the bus number."

Visual arts student Rachelle Lech, 23, of Modbury, said she would consider updating her "very basic" mobile phone to make use of Nomad OnBoard.

"I wouldn't do it straight away, but maybe in the future because I don't drive - I take buses everywhere," she said.

"It sounds like a very good idea."

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said Nomad OnBoard would provide "another dimension to (Adelaide Metro's) already timely delivery of information".

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#12 Post by Algernon » Mon May 22, 2006 12:40 pm

I noticed an ad for this on the train a couple of weeks ago.

Absolutely sensational idea.

I too wonder if it's updated live. I don't have enough credit on my phone to try it out yet. :( The programme should include an instant notification system for updated timetables, to avoid having people using out of date timetables. I like the idea of storing the timetable on the phone, to cut down on the cost of frequently downloading the same timetable, which i'm sure would rack up on the phone bill (not that middle class kids below 20 years have any trouble doing that already :lol:).

Wasn't aware this was a world first... if so, well, back slapping all round.

What I think would be awesome is if they could detect your position based on which mobile phone tower you're currently connected to, and give you a list of suggested services for the area.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by AtD » Mon May 22, 2006 1:17 pm

I doubt it's live, the electronic signs at the train station's aren't live (yet). The signs just repeat the timetable information, which can cause problems if the express trains are late. The signs often says the next train stops at station X but it doesnt.

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by sam » Mon May 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Adelaide Metro's site has broken images so can't see it in action I'm afraid :(

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/promos/nomads.html

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by sam » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:50 pm

I've got it (sort of) working on my phone. However it does have a timezone issue...

My phone is set to GMT+09:30 (Adelaide) and the timetables shown are for 9.5 hours earlier...

If I change my phone to be set to London time - it works great - only thing is then it screws up my calendar which is still being sync'd with Outlook in Adelaide's timezone...

I think I'll just put up with having to scroll down through about 40 buses before I get to the actual Adelaide time.

Another issue is that it only shows direct routes - so it's not going to be overly useful if you catch an off-peak feeder service...