News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Hooligan
Legendary Member!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#1876 Post by Hooligan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:38 pm

rev wrote:Why not do it over night?

That would take longer and cost more.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Heardy_101
High Rise Poster!

#1877 Post by Heardy_101 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Sad to see Keswick go.

The opportunity was there to make a Southern Cross station out of it, but that would have made too much sense.

The Government obviously didn't like the fact that there was a connection there at all (that little kefuffle dates back to the STA vs ANR days!)
www.facebook.com/SARegionalRailAlliance

www.saregionaltrainscampaign.com

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1878 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Heardy_101 wrote:Sad to see Keswick go.

The opportunity was there to make a Southern Cross station out of it, but that would have made too much sense.

The Government obviously didn't like the fact that there was a connection there at all (that little kefuffle dates back to the STA vs ANR days!)
Actually, that isn't too bad of an idea... If only the location was just a little more central to the CBD.

Heardy_101
High Rise Poster!

#1879 Post by Heardy_101 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Not only that, but what if Country services do return? (note the words "what if" for all you negative twats out there) There are now no connections.

claybro

#1880 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Heardy_101 wrote:Sad to see Keswick go.

I dont think one more cent should be spent on Keswick/Parklands terminal. It is a desolate lonely location, and not a good arrival to our city. Its a pity they could not find space for a terminal behind the new RAH, with the suburban lines sharing a station for the new hospital, then the metro trains continue on to terminate at Adelaide station.

rhino

#1881 Post by rhino » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:11 am

claybro wrote: Its a pity they could not find space for a terminal behind the new RAH, with the suburban lines sharing a station for the new hospital, then the metro trains continue on to terminate at Adelaide station.
That's an interesting idea!
cheers,
Rhino

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1882 Post by Tonsley213 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 pm

This it stupid.

Interstate services as they are now are completely irrelivent.

Australia won't become dependant of passenger train travel for 20-30 years on the east coast and probably up to 50-100 years in terms of Adelaide. By then I am sure that we will be much more suited for interstate trains.

This is what I perdict Adelaide would be like in 50-100 years.
-our surban train services would be underground through the CBD and the track to be standardised.
This would mean that interstate trains which will be massively different would be able to go on the metro network, and to the current Adelaide Railway Station.

Do we have to go on and on about the interstate trains that are run so very poorly and provide absolutly not competition to aircraft.
Last edited by Tonsley213 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claybro

#1883 Post by claybro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:50 pm

[
Tonsley213 wrote:This is what I perdict Adelaide would be like in 50-100 years.
-our surban train services would be underground through the CBD and the track to be standardised.
This would mean that interstate trains which will be massively different would be able to go on the metro network, and to Adelaide Terminal
This is quite possible, as it is the model used by various European cities where the international trains run through thier underground tracks once they enter he cities.

claybro

#1884 Post by claybro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Of course the beneft of a regional train terminal behind the RAH, would be that if regional rail ever got up and running, trains from Spencer Gulf, Riverland and Southeast could unload football fans directly to Adelaide oval a short stroll across the river. Imagine the amount of buses that would keep off the roads.

Heardy_101
High Rise Poster!

#1885 Post by Heardy_101 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:51 pm

The current interstate trains, aka The Ghan, Indian Pacific and The Overland, are not meant as competitors to travel by plane. One could make a case that The Overland does compete with Adelaide - Melbourne flights, but unless overnight services were restored then I would say it doesn't do even that at the time being. It's days are probably numbered more than anything.

The Ghan and The Indian Pacific on the other hand are certainly NOT intended to compete with airline travel to their various destinations. In short, they are 4-5 star hotels on rails. In the early days before modern planes came into fray, then yes, they would have certainly been one of the better ways to travel to Perth, Sydney or Alice Springs (Darwin line wasn't built back then).

They are irrelevant as a passenger-service, yes, but not as a tourist service, which is their primary purpose these days.

I won't go into the messy details etc about intrastate (regional) services in SA but I will say that a proper interstate/intrastate terminal needs to be built with proper suburban connections. Instead the Government seems hell-bent on removing all connections that were available or potentially available.

:2cents:

claybro

#1886 Post by claybro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Heardy_101 wrote:The Overland does compete with Adelaide - Melbourne flights, but unless overnight services were restored then I would say it doesn't do even that at the time being. It's days are probably numbered more than anything.
You have hit on the one area where our existing trains can compete with air travel. A couple of years ago I trevelled on a night service from Berlin to Munich a distance of about 600km. The "nachtzug" (nighttrain) service left Berlin at around 10pm and arrived in munich about 6am from memory The cost $EU 39.00 A slow journey by European standards, but the cabin was very quiet, the seats lay almost flat, and there was a decent bathroom on board to freshen up. Clean power for laptops service was avail on the train, and I actually had a decent sleep and saved on a. nights accomodation. Such services Adelaide to Melbourne, Melbourne to Sydney, Sydney to Brisbane I believe would be popular if the will existed to spend the money on decent rolling stock. Of coarse a CBD central station is also a must for this type of service.

Heardy_101
High Rise Poster!

#1887 Post by Heardy_101 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:Do we have to go on and on about the interstate trains that are run so very poorly and provide absolutly not competition to aircraft.
No, they are not run poorly at all.

Have you ever been on The Ghan or The IP? The Overland?

Refer to my previous post and get your facts right.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#1888 Post by Shahkar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:15 pm

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1889 Post by neoballmon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm looking at bus routes to get from Noarlunga to the Highway Hotel on Saturday night, and one of the suggestions I was given (based on my preferred arrival time) was the N3. It shows a ridiculous route that goes nowhere near any stations between Marion and Goodwood, and the route only apparently only has 6 stops. Is this all train sub buses? Or did I get the unlucky time that only an "Express trainbus" is passing? Because it seems horrible.

And to make it better, the bus goes down Anzac Highway, litterally RIGHT past the Highway, and yet there's no stops at all (and if there are, there's no useful bus transfer) so I have to get to the Keswick terminal then connect onto a 265W and backtrack. This will be almost 10PM, very quiet time of night; would most drivers open the door at the Anzac/Marion Road lights if I asked them to? I'm not overly familiar with bus processes (beyond the obvious basics)
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

The Scooter Guy

#1890 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Keswick works from today:
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/