News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
metro
Legendary Member!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#1981 Post by metro » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:28 pm

I am confused over the budget figures for rail electrification: are they spending $150m to electrify the short 10km distance just Dry Creek in 3 years? and $160m to electrify the longer 30km distance to Noarlunga in just 6 months? no mention of anymore new trains between now and 2016? :?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1982 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:33 pm

What I don't get is why there is still no news about the Torrens Junction. The feds have already allocated the money (done as a package with the Goodwood Junction), and ... nothing. Are they purposely holding off because of the deferring of the Outer Harbour line electrification?

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#1983 Post by Punishment466 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Great idea. Let's electrify less than half of the most patronised railway line in the state.

Just another embarrassment.

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#1984 Post by buildit83 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Punishment466 wrote:Great idea. Let's electrify less than half of the most patronised railway line in the state.

Its a start at least. my guess is Labor will announce an election promise next year to electrify the rest of the Gawler line.

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#1985 Post by buildit83 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:06 pm

Another thought that come to mind, the 2000/2100 Class Jumbos would have to be retired most definitely once the wires go up from Adelaide to Dry Creek because they won't fit under the wires safely. The plus side of this, it puts more pressure on the Government to electrify the rest of the Gawler Central line because they would have 30 less train carriages when the Jumbos have to be retired.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1986 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Punishment466 wrote:Great idea. Let's electrify less than half of the most patronised railway line in the state.

Agreed. It just seems so dumb to electrify so little of it. Electrify it all or none of it as electrifying part of it means Gawler trains can't use it anyway.

Aidan

#1987 Post by Aidan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:09 pm

buildit83 wrote:Another thought that come to mind, the 2000/2100 Class Jumbos would have to be retired most definitely once the wires go up from Adelaide to Dry Creek because they won't fit under the wires safely. The plus side of this, it puts more pressure on the Government to electrify the rest of the Gawler Central line because they would have 30 less train carriages when the Jumbos have to be retired.
Who says they won't fit under the wires safely? Despite DPTI's track record, I find it difficult to imagine they'd so stupid as to install wires so low that the existing trains won't fit under them!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1988 Post by metro » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 pm

look what I found on youtube today, those whinging residents at Hallet Cove have got the attention of Today Tonight :wallbash:

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#1989 Post by buildit83 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Aidan wrote:
buildit83 wrote:Another thought that come to mind, the 2000/2100 Class Jumbos would have to be retired most definitely once the wires go up from Adelaide to Dry Creek because they won't fit under the wires safely. The plus side of this, it puts more pressure on the Government to electrify the rest of the Gawler Central line because they would have 30 less train carriages when the Jumbos have to be retired.
Who says they won't fit under the wires safely? Despite DPTI's track record, I find it difficult to imagine they'd so stupid as to install wires so low that the existing trains won't fit under them!
I read somewhere that the Jumbo's raised driver cabin is only made of fibreglass and would only be under the 25K/W live wire by a small amount that wouldn't be safe to operate. The Jumbos days are numbered anyway, they're pretty tired and rundown I'm surprised they're still running. according to wikipedia (crap source I know) they have been in service since 1980, you'd say 33 years is about time to retire them. the majority of the Jumbos from what I can see when catching the train during the week sit in the Dry Creek yard most of the time anyway, the newer 3000/3100 class are in service most of the time, especially since Belair and Southern lines have been closed for network upgrades.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#1990 Post by fabricator » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 am

metro wrote:I am confused over the budget figures for rail electrification: are they spending $150m to electrify the short 10km distance just Dry Creek in 3 years? and $160m to electrify the longer 30km distance to Noarlunga in just 6 months? no mention of anymore new trains between now and 2016? :?
The cost also includes electrifying the entire Dry Creek depot. It's rather complex track work, and there needs to be isolation circuits for the workshops etc.
The electrification costs also include things like modifying stations/fences to properly earth metal structures and the like.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1991 Post by rev » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:31 am

metro wrote:look what I found on youtube today, those whinging residents at Hallet Cove have got the attention of Today Tonight :wallbash:

They have a point. If it can be moved to where it will not impact residents, why not move it?
They aren't against the electrification project, they even say that they accept that over head wires etc are part of the process.

Most of those people would have bought their homes on that street partly because of the view of the ocean. If they were to sell their home, that would be one of the features and draw cards for potential buyers.
Not so much if there is something unsightly in the way.

Selfish? Yeh, but they have a point in this case(especially if that independent engineers report is accurate).

[Shuz]

#1992 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:12 am

fabricator wrote:
metro wrote:I am confused over the budget figures for rail electrification: are they spending $150m to electrify the short 10km distance just Dry Creek in 3 years? and $160m to electrify the longer 30km distance to Noarlunga in just 6 months? no mention of anymore new trains between now and 2016? :?
The cost also includes electrifying the entire Dry Creek depot. It's rather complex track work, and there needs to be isolation circuits for the workshops etc.
The electrification costs also include things like modifying stations/fences to properly earth metal structures and the like.
That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for clearing this up.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1993 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:50 am

rev wrote: Selfish? Yeh, but they have a point in this case(especially if that independent engineers report is accurate).
You can get a report to say whatever you want it to though. There is no way the "independent engineers" had access to the level of information that the government and department have on this.

Regarding their views - bad luck. They need to assume some of the risk of buying in that location themselves. If they wanted guaranteed ocean views, they should have purchased a block on the other side of the train line (and any subsequent blocks between that and the ocean!)

Milkomeda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1994 Post by Milkomeda » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 pm

fabricator wrote:
You're also forgetting part of that money is also going to be used to built a new substation at Kilburn

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1995 Post by Westside » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Brucetiki wrote:

Agreed. It just seems so dumb to electrify so little of it. Electrify it all or none of it as electrifying part of it means Gawler trains can't use it anyway.
Instead of electrifying part of the line on both tracks, why don't they electrify the whole line, but just one track? Then trains can swap tracks for the return peak period. Unfortunately this would neccessitate the line to be fully closed for an hour and a half twice a day. And in 15 years time when the state has the money (or the political will), then it can be duplicated. People will be ok with this right? :roll: