News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2641 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:01 am

The recent new Wayville Station has a fully covered roof - but it is a single object, slanted to one side, and high enough so that diesel fumes can escape.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

metro
Legendary Member!

#2642 Post by metro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Driving along Churchill Rd North this afternoon and noticed the 'Adelaide Electrification Project' sign has been removed, could this mean the state govt has abandoned the project, like work won't be resuming in 2018?

Also not a good look for the Seaford line which is running slowly and the ride is rough, sure the opposition with the federal colleagues who cut electrification funding in Adelaide have no right to 'nitpick', but that doesn't excuse the state govt from carrying out basic maintenance. These speed restrictions and rough ride would not be tolerated on new roads like the Southern Expressway or the North South Mwy, any problem would be rectified ASAP! Not so with the rail system, speed restrictions and rough riding track seems to be permanent across the network. Also need to do something about the air conditioners on the new trains, it sounds like you're on a plane at cruising altitude. I thought electric trains were supposed to be quiet.. :roll:

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#2643 Post by Zills » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:47 pm

After spending 6 months in Europe and experiencing how rail transport works here, I have to say that the state of rail transport in Adelaide is absolutely piss poor!

Patrick_27

#2644 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:57 pm

Mate, you could spend a day riding Melbourne's train system and come to the same conclusion.

I cannot honestly believe how hard it has been to get the government to commit to this project entirely. They can spend money on city high schools, tram extensions (which at this point lead to nowhere), and a 3km raised motorway through the northern suburbs, but they can't seem to find the courage to allocate $300m towards an electrification of all remaining rail corridors in this city.

Nathan

#2645 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:58 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Mate, you could spend a day riding Melbourne's train system and come to the same conclusion.

I cannot honestly believe how hard it has been to get the government to commit to this project entirely. They can spend money on city high schools, tram extensions (which at this point lead to nowhere), and a 3km raised motorway through the northern suburbs, but they can't seem to find the courage to allocate $300m towards an electrification of all remaining rail corridors in this city.
I agree with your point, but don't parrot the "tram to nowhere" nonsense. You're better than that.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2646 Post by Goodsy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:19 am

Nathan wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Mate, you could spend a day riding Melbourne's train system and come to the same conclusion.

I agree with your point, but don't parrot the "tram to nowhere" nonsense. You're better than that.
also the 3km raised motorway, it's clearly part of a bigger plan

Waewick

#2647 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:04 am

Nathan wrote:

but the extension is exactly that

except the government then spent money on building and subsidising a carpark to get patrongage up (which is free!).

That extension should have been the city loop, outside the part to the new RAH (which would be in the loop too I guess)

Waewick

#2648 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:09 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Nathan wrote:

also the 3km raised motorway, it's clearly part of a bigger plan
only the North South corridor - It was simply lucky emough to be shovel ready.

bits
Legendary Member!

#2649 Post by bits » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:58 pm

The superway gave the best economic impact of any other segment.
That bit of road makes the state money, most the rest of the north-south corridor have much less clear financial gains.

Same goes for the northern connector having very good economic gains.

ChillyPhilly

#2650 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:42 am

The Federal Government also contributed heavily financially to the North-South Motorway.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2651 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Plans are now up for the ticket barrier installation at Salisbury Station and Noarlunga Station.

They are due to be delivered early next year, with installation complete by mid-2016.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2652 Post by rev » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:29 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote: also the 3km raised motorway, it's clearly part of a bigger plan
Yes, the north-south corridor...or in any other capital city around the world...a freeway. But don't tell the locals here that's what it is, or they'll run you out of town. :secret:

PeFe

#2653 Post by PeFe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Norman wrote:Plans are now up for the ticket barrier installation at Salisbury Station and Noarlunga Station.

They are due to be delivered early next year, with installation complete by mid-2016.
There was a plan a few years back for the redevelopment of the Noarlunga Railway Station into some sort of TOD. I wonder what happened to that?(and maybe Salisbury as well)
I approve of the installation of barrier gates.....public transport has to be paid for (its not free). People who fork out money (even a concession ticket ) are far less likely to vandalize stations or trains.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2654 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:22 am

PeFe wrote:
Norman wrote:Plans are now up for the ticket barrier installation at Salisbury Station and Noarlunga Station.

There was a plan a few years back for the redevelopment of the Noarlunga Railway Station into some sort of TOD. I wonder what happened to that?(and maybe Salisbury as well)
I approve of the installation of barrier gates.....public transport has to be paid for (its not free). People who fork out money (even a concession ticket ) are far less likely to vandalize stations or trains.
The full Noarlunga TOD masterplan and associated documents can be found here:
http://www.onkaparingacity.com/onka/cou ... opment.jsp

ChillyPhilly

#2655 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:32 am

PeFe wrote:

Salisbury Council were unable to attract any serious interest for building higher density residential apartments and the like close to the station.