News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2896 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:40 pm

I read somewhere that they don't need to build a side track because of the way they are constructing it, but I could be wrong. Wait and see I guess.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2897 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:17 pm

The Railway Station is getting a facelift - all of the faux sandstone in the platform areas is being painted white. Pillars, walls, buffer covers etc etc. Think it should look quite good once finished.

PeFe

#2898 Post by PeFe » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:28 am

Any renders ?

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#2899 Post by Zills » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:11 pm

RE: ...Presumably in the near future they're going to swing the lines out...

The site is just outside my front door :) On Sunday, railway sleepers were delivered and they were laying ballast on the northern side of the track for the diverted railway. I'll get some photos.

Llessur2002

#2900 Post by Llessur2002 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:37 am

PeFe wrote:Any renders ?
Of the station painting? It's happening now.

Llessur2002

#2901 Post by Llessur2002 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:46 am

zills_86 wrote:The site is just outside my front door :) On Sunday, railway sleepers were delivered and they were laying ballast on the northern side of the track for the diverted railway. I'll get some photos.
We're almost neighbours.

Saw the ballast has been laid - will be interesting to see if they're planning on retaining two tracks, or narrow to only one for this stretch of the works. Wonder how much this will affect timetable if so?

Brazer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2902 Post by Brazer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:20 pm

It may have already been answered but can someone please enlighten me as to what the benefits of a state run rail system are? I mean if we are struggling to even electrify other lines why would we not consider privatising our system? I mean even though they had a bad reputation Connex/Metro Trains have done wonders for the Melbourne Rail network after acquiring it from their previous state run The Met system. Is this something that can be done?

rubberman

#2903 Post by rubberman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:47 am

Brazer wrote:It may have already been answered but can someone please enlighten me as to what the benefits of a state run rail system are? I mean if we are struggling to even electrify other lines why would we not consider privatising our system? I mean even though they had a bad reputation Connex/Metro Trains have done wonders for the Melbourne Rail network after acquiring it from their previous state run The Met system. Is this something that can be done?
I guess the answer is that privatisation has had mixed success in Australia.

Privatising Telstra has been a disaster.
Nobody has seen prices for power come down forcall the privatisation that has taken place.
Privatising Sydney Airport has been a major retardant to aviation in Australia, but has worked in Adelaide.
Privatising the Commonwealth Bank? Hmmm. There's a few people been ruined by unethical practices.

I'm not sure there's any evidence that privatisation has worked to the benefit of taxpayers this past 20 years. If anything, the real world evidence is somewhat against it.

Not to say it isn't feasible, but there'd need to be a very good water tight case made.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2904 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:08 am

Brazer wrote:It may have already been answered but can someone please enlighten me as to what the benefits of a state run rail system are? I mean if we are struggling to even electrify other lines why would we not consider privatising our system? I mean even though they had a bad reputation Connex/Metro Trains have done wonders for the Melbourne Rail network after acquiring it from their previous state run The Met system. Is this something that can be done?
In what way has privatisation "done wonders" in Melbourne's train system?

Brazer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2905 Post by Brazer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:04 am

Connex/Metro Trains upgraded stations, improved the fleet not just upgrading the Comengs but purchased the Siemens and X-trapolis models. They had a vigorous attack in marketing producing high quality commercials prompting customer confidence in the system. Their Transit police have greatly reduced fare evasion. They have expanded their rail networks including extensions to Sunbury. These are just to name a few. I'm just frustrated that Adelaide Metro can't even get the Gawler line and other lines electrified which is a heavily patronized route.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2906 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:52 am

Brazer wrote:Connex/Metro Trains upgraded stations, improved the fleet not just upgrading the Comengs but purchased the Siemens and X-trapolis models. They had a vigorous attack in marketing producing high quality commercials prompting customer confidence in the system. Their Transit police have greatly reduced fare evasion. They have expanded their rail networks including extensions to Sunbury. These are just to name a few. I'm just frustrated that Adelaide Metro can't even get the Gawler line and other lines electrified which is a heavily patronized route.
Those things are all done by the State Government (except for maybe advertising and marketing), Connex/Metro only run the train services themselves, much like our contracted bus firms run the services on busses provided for by the State Government. They don't build infrastructure or purchase rolling stock.

When you say Transit Police, do you mean the ones at the train stations? They are a sub-branch of VicPol, so again, State Government.

All these privatised companies can do is have less advantageous Enterprise Agreements with the actual workers, and can appear to have reduced pay and conditions that are lower than the public service standard. I can't think of any other "advantage" of having a privatised or contracted system.

ChillyPhilly

#2907 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:26 pm

Public transport in Adelaide (and also in Melbourne as Norm has said) does not, will not and cannot turn a profit. There is no advantage nor financial incentive to a private operator. AdelaideMetro is run at a loss each year.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rhino

#2908 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:12 am

As with most public services, money is saved rather than made. People on public transport means less car use, less road infrastructure required, etc etc. This is where the profit lies - it's notional profit. Private Enterprise is not going to make any money from notional profit.
cheers,
Rhino

ChillyPhilly

#2909 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:21 am

rhino wrote:As with most public services, money is saved rather than made. People on public transport means less car use, less road infrastructure required, etc etc. This is where the profit lies - it's notional profit. Private Enterprise is not going to make any money from notional profit.
Spot on. There are goals beyond the economic realm: social goals, environmental goals...
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

PeFe

#2910 Post by PeFe » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:09 pm

This is from last weeks Messenger, discussing the state of Adelaide railway stations (mainly along the Outer Harbor line)
Nothing new to be said but the publicity might move "station upgrades" higher up the government agenda.
And the worst rail stop in the west goes to ... Adelaide’s People for Public Transport rate 27 stations

Mile End station

MANY train stations in the western suburbs have been left behind those on other commuter lines and are in urgent need of an upgrade, a consumer survey has found.

An audit of 27 stations servicing the west by commuter lobby group People for Public Transport found most stops on the Grange and Outer Harbor lines were poorly maintained, isolated, and had only minimal shelters.

In some cases stations were found to be below the standard of a bus stop.

People for Public Transport president Thanasis Avramis said it was concerning there was little improvement — aside from new stations at St Clair and the Adelaide Showgrounds — since the group conducted two similar surveys of western-suburbs train stations last decade.
St Clair station

Stations given the lowest scores out of 50 — based on five categories ranging from appearance to safety and security — in the latest survey were Mile End (11), Taperoo (12), Seaton Park (14.5) and Alberton (15).

The $16.5 million Adelaide Showgrounds Station (41), three-year-old St Clair (37.5) and Woodville (32) were rated the best.

Mr Avramis said many stations were stuck in the ’70s and had fallen behind new stations on the electrified Seaford line.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messen...f278abf1904c35