News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#3031 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:15 am

EBG wrote:in reply to Omada in regard to the Tonsely line extension to FMC:

This is a direct quote from article by John Hoyle in Railway Digest Feb 2017.
‘A Commonwealth/State funded $85.5m project will enable the Tonsely line to be extended 600metres to Flinders Medical Centre
via a 520 metre rail bridge over Sturt Road and South Road. This project is expected to result in increased patronage on the Tonsely
line when it is completed by the end of 2018.'
http://www.railwaydigest.com.au
http://www.facebook.com/railwaydigest

So if it is to be completed by end of 2018 stand by for further announcements soon.
The only further announcement I could think of is a sod-turning ceremony. All the funding announcements have already been done last year.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#3032 Post by Westside » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:16 pm

Norman wrote: The only further announcement I could think of is a sod-turning ceremony. All the funding announcements have already been done last year.
I'm waiting for the announcement that the Tonsley line will no longer be a 5 day a week train line!

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3033 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:32 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Just spotted the red front 'face' shells of two electrics seemingly being assembled at Dry Creek.
A few days ago the front of one of the trains took a good whack from a Kangaroo, could be replacing that.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#3034 Post by adelaide transport » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:29 pm

Westside wrote:
Norman wrote: The only further announcement I could think of is a sod-turning ceremony. All the funding announcements have already been done last year.
I'm waiting for the announcement that the Tonsley line will no longer be a 5 day a week train line!
Once the extension via the Flinders Link to FMC and Flinders Uni is complete in late 2018,it will become a 24 hour service.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3035 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:39 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Westside wrote:
Once the extension via the Flinders Link to FMC and Flinders Uni is complete in late 2018,it will become a 24 hour service.
Maybe an 18/7 service, but definitely not 24/7!

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#3036 Post by Westside » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:49 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Westside wrote:
Assuming you mean gaining nights and weekend service, has this been confirmed anywhere or just assumed given the laughing stock it would be if it continues as a 5 day only service?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3037 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Westside wrote:
Assuming you mean gaining nights and weekend service, has this been confirmed anywhere or just assumed given the laughing stock it would be if it continues as a 5 day only service?
It was confirmed when the extension project was announced.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#3038 Post by adelaide transport » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:47 pm

From today's Adelaide Advertiser;-
Funding farce puts brakes on rail line upgrade
A full business case for the Gawler line upgrade will not be handed to the agency essential for Federal funding until next year.,it says,yet again stalling the project.
Infrastructure Australia(IA) and the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development have accused the SA Government of not providing a detailed business case for the Gawler line electrification.
An IA spokeswoman said the agency had only received an early stage submission on the Gawler line upgrade in September 2015.
This was not a full business case submission.The SA Government has indicated it will provide a full business case submission for the Gawler line upgrade in the next year..

ChillyPhilly

#3039 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:28 pm

For crying out loud.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

skyliner

#3040 Post by skyliner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:41 pm

It seems the railways cop the blunt end of the deal again!

How long is it now since the electrification was announced. You would have thought the detailed business case would have been sorted out long ago as the SA gov't had announced the electrification was going to begin soon (after a lengthy delay) .

Note - originally the red side loading 'dog boxes' that ran with the red hens were for electrification. Another false start around 1973 as well. (already had the cooper cables for the overhead lines in Islington yards). One wonders about the priority of railway development in Adelaide.

Very disappointing - read it as don't get excited about anything happening - at all!
Jack.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#3041 Post by adelaide transport » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:01 pm

This saga is now into its 9th year.

metro
Legendary Member!

#3042 Post by metro » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:27 pm

I dont see why the Federal Govt need a business case for a project that has already commenced construction, the poles are in the ground already FFS :roll:

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#3043 Post by Hooligan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:34 pm

metro wrote:I dont see why the Federal Govt need a business case for a project that has already commenced construction, the poles are in the ground already FFS :roll:
This is what gets me. I live near the Gawler line and we've had the poles in place (In certain spots) for at least a good couple of years now.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

claybro

#3044 Post by claybro » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Shouldn't the question be, why can't the state government provide one after all this time? Metropolitan rail is after all the responsibility of the state, and if the state wishes to present its proposition for federal funding, surely it has to go through the process. I believe the state had previously obtained a commitment for funding from the Feds for this, but dithered in the rollout, a change of federal government to one more hostile to rail(Abbot) led to unspent funds being removed. That is my understanding of it anyway. So that the state has to present its case again is partially its own fault.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3045 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Guys... it's still happening this year, tenders will be called very soon with construction to start this year.

This is just News Limited...being News Limited.