News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4051 Post by Spotto » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:13 pm

how good is he wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:12 am
The below may also be the reason for the project stalling....

Prospect vows to fight state’s ‘chainsaw massacre’ of its trees

Prospect is ready for war. The State Government wants to remove hundreds of trees the community planted decades ago for a rail project — but it’s facing a huge public backlash.
If this was for a road project, i'll bet hardly anyone would bat an eye...

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4052 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:34 pm

I see both sides of the story re: the trees. It does make Ovingham and Dudley Park stations look a little more aesthetically pleasing. The noise argument is worth further discussion, because electric trains are basically silent.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#4053 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:32 pm

are people already forgetting all the backlash the seaford line upgrade had to deal with?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4054 Post by Spotto » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:20 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:32 pm
are people already forgetting all the backlash the seaford line upgrade had to deal with?

YouTube link is broken mate. But yes, do remember. Mostly about fears over the wetlands being ruined, can't remember if there was more around the Seaford area.

ChillyPhilly

#4055 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:56 am

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:20 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:32 pm

YouTube link is broken mate. But yes, do remember. Mostly about fears over the wetlands being ruined, can't remember if there was more around the Seaford area.
Link works, just can't be watched when embedded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnrGHgZI-g

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4056 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:48 am

Oh Jeez oh pete! I'm 42years old. Such is the speeding glacier like pace of this project I sometimes wonder if I'll get to ride an electric train on the Gawler line in my lifetime.
If you're planning to cut down trees in Adelaide, then any Project manager worth their qualification should know there will be protests and probably delays!
I know that some trees and shrubs will have had to be chopped, but to offer only a pittance for replacement is boneheaded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#4057 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:34 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:I see both sides of the story re: the trees. It does make Ovingham and Dudley Park stations look a little more aesthetically pleasing. The noise argument is worth further discussion, because electric trains are basically silent.
Yes Electric trains are quieter, but wasn't it residents near the Belair line that complained that the bells and whistles at level crossings had increased in amplitude and were "ruining life" etc so the trains are quieter but the improved rail infrastructure might be louder?

Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

claybro

#4058 Post by claybro » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:34 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:I see both sides of the story re: the trees. It does make Ovingham and Dudley Park stations look a little more aesthetically pleasing. The noise argument is worth further discussion, because electric trains are basically silent.
Yes Electric trains are quieter, but wasn't it residents near the Belair line that complained that the bells and whistles at level crossings had increased in amplitude and were "ruining life" etc so the trains are quieter but the improved rail infrastructure might be louder?

The train line was there long before the residents. The trees were planted AFTER most of the residents moved in. These are not 100 year old oak trees we're talking about here. Chop the bloody scrub down, and get the hell on with it.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4059 Post by SRW » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:36 pm

To be fair, while street view reveals few regulatory significant trees, it's not clear to me why they'd need to clearfell the lot nor why landscape restoration isn't factored into DPTI's plans. The residents are within their rights to push for a more amenable outcome, although could perhaps lay off the hyperbole (but that don't get you media, so...).
Last edited by SRW on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4060 Post by rev » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:13 pm
how good is he wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:12 am
The below may also be the reason for the project stalling....

Prospect vows to fight state’s ‘chainsaw massacre’ of its trees

Prospect is ready for war. The State Government wants to remove hundreds of trees the community planted decades ago for a rail project — but it’s facing a huge public backlash.
If this was for a road project, i'll bet hardly anyone would bat an eye...
The trees and vegetation on the reserve on Torrens road around the Chief st intersection were planted by the local school in the 1990's.
I wonder if the local council or school will have a cry about them if they're removed for the project there?

claybro

#4061 Post by claybro » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:07 pm

SRW wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:36 pm
To be fair, while street view reveals few regulatory significant trees, it's not clear to me why they'd need to clearfell the lot nor why landscape restoration isn't factored into DPTI's plans. The residents are within their rights to push for a more amenable outcome, although could perhaps lay off the hyperbole (but that'd don't you media, so...).
You are quite correct, that if these projects in Adelaide had a better track record of landscaping, rehabilitation, then maintenance of the landscaping, it may not cause such angst. Really they only have themselves to blame. To not even mention remediation of landscaping shows it is abegrudged afterthought for the DPTI. For a whole project to be held up because of some shrubs though... not good.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#4062 Post by Pistol » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 pm

Here's an idea.
Remove all the relatively young natives trees that have been planted at the site of the new WCH that we all know will be ripped up shortly.
'Sell' them to the residents of both Devonport Terrace and Exeter Terrace as trees that will be used for the remediation post project completion.
Win win.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

ChillyPhilly

#4063 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Announcement over the PA at ARS: 'There will be no Grange or Outer Harbor services until further notice.'

Sounds like quite a serious incident.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#4064 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:14 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:54 pm
Announcement over the PA at ARS: 'There will be no Grange or Outer Harbor services until further notice.'

Sounds like quite a serious incident.
Gas Pipe Leaking.
https://sapaging.com/incident?inc_id=FIRE1906270073
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#4065 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:54 pm

I heard on the news tonight that Bombadier has been awarded the contract for 12x3 carriage electric trains for use on the Gawler line.

There are 22 in the existing order for the Seaford line. Presumably they have too many for that line and some of the excess would be redployed to Gawler as I would expect it would need more overall capacity?