News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4081 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:06 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:37 am
Could brighton station also be removed, leaving one new mega "brighton" station to replace Brighton, Hove and Warradale, situated under or over brighton road.
Would make sense, given all the shops and services on Brighton road. Space for adequate parking would be required though.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4082 Post by PeFe » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:19 pm

I thought Hove station would go, replaced by a new Warradale station (further west than current location)

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4083 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:47 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:37 am
Could brighton station also be removed, leaving one new mega "brighton" station to replace Brighton, Hove and Warradale, situated under or over brighton road.
Then there's no easy access to Brighton Beach and Jetty Road. You need to make public transport dirt easy to use otherwise people won't use it. If it doesn't deliver people to the doorstep or a short walk to where they want to go, they're not interested. Use the beach as a drawcard to encourage use of the station.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4084 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:49 pm

On the Seaford Line last night, in addition to updated train maps showing Clovelly Park as the new terminus for the Tonsley Line, large red signs for Priority Seating and dark blue for Wheelchair spaces have also been added. Didn’t manage to snap a pic though. The Gawler Line was also changed to a much lighter brown, almost red.

The train I’m on today still has the old map and none of the new accessibility signs though. I’m sure they’re coming soon.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4085 Post by TorrensSA » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:02 pm

So three station on the Seaford line are planned to go? So let's have a guess, Firstly Edwardstown - express trains pass through really slowly, clearance issues?, needs to be rebuilt? Combine with Woodlands Park? Second Warradale, Hove will be rebuilt once the grade separation happens, Brighton needs to be rebuilt but it's too busy to be removed, now thirdly Marino or Marino Rocks.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4086 Post by Spotto » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:00 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:49 pm
On the Seaford Line last night, in addition to updated train maps showing Clovelly Park as the new terminus for the Tonsley Line, large red signs for Priority Seating and dark blue for Wheelchair spaces have also been added. Didn’t manage to snap a pic though. The Gawler Line was also changed to a much lighter brown, almost red.

The train I’m on today still has the old map and none of the new accessibility signs though. I’m sure they’re coming soon.
Grabbed pics today. Sorry for weird rotation doing this from mobile.
Attachments
C807D1A7-3092-4DD4-8A49-A4DEF296FB95.jpeg
90B528E7-8A50-43F9-8EE7-2096A968BEA3.jpeg
7CAE5D12-489C-4996-B7D2-C2E719032208.jpeg

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#4087 Post by ralmin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Curious decision to update the map to remove Tonsley and not add a "Flinders (under construction)" to spruik the new station

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4088 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:08 pm

So do we still call it the Tonsley Line? :sly: I think it sounds better than the Clovelly Park Line.

I think the map could be drawn better at Woodlands Park. The branch as drawn is very close to Ascot Park, which the Tonsley Line doesn't stop at. As a side question, does anyone know why the Tonsley Line was never built to include Ascot Park?
ralmin wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 pm
Curious decision to update the map to remove Tonsley and not add a "Flinders (under construction)" to spruik the new station
That would be a good idea and I like the name "Flinders Line"! :D

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4089 Post by Spotto » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:45 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:08 pm
So do we still call it the Tonsley Line? :sly: I think it sounds better than the Clovelly Park Line.

[...]
ralmin wrote:
By keeping the name "Tonsley Line" it saves them reprinting all the timetables and any other printed media only to re-reprint everything once the Flinders extension opens. It will eventually be called the "Flinders Line" though.

Besides, Clovelly Park station serves the Tonsley suburb and development precinct so the line name is still technically accurate. :wink:

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4090 Post by Eurostar » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:08 pm

I think the map could be drawn better at Woodlands Park. The branch as drawn is very close to Ascot Park, which the Tonsley Line doesn't stop at. As a side question, does anyone know why the Tonsley Line was never built to include Ascot Park?
ralmin wrote:
Tonsley line may of only being built to transport cars from Mitsubishi Tonsley Plant to port and ransporting workers to and from the plant was the main goal. Many stations on the branch are basic cos a worker working long hours just wants to get from a to b, how pretty the station is is the last thing on their minds.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#4091 Post by d3v310per » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 pm

From Adelaide Now...

Construction work begins on $125m ‘Flinders Link’, a 650m extension of old Tonsley line
Construction work has started on a major project to extend the Tonsley rail line to the Flinders university and medical precinct.

Construction work for the $125m Flinders Link project is under way.

SA Transport Minister Stephan Knoll and federal Boothby MP Nicolle Flint officially turned the first sod of the project – which will extend the current Tonsley rail line to the Flinders Medical Centre and Flinders University precincts – on Friday morning.

Flinders University vice-president of corporate services Mark Gregory said the extension would be a “critical piece of infrastructure” that would benefit a new $1.5 billion “village” to be built at the university.

As revealed by The Advertiser last month, the village will include a health research centre, student accommodation, a hotel and shops.

“The train connection will help us attract private capital for the development of the new Flinders Village,” Mr Gregory said.

“The rail link will also complement the university’s activities at the Tonsley Innovation District, support the Flinders health precinct and improve connectivity for businesses and the community.”

The 650m rail extension will include an elevated single track over Sturt Rd, Laffers Triangle and Main South Rd.

A new Flinders station will also be built to replace the existing Tonsley station.

Piling work is being carried out along the length of the extension, starting on the western side of Main South Rd. This work will progressively move towards the northern end of the project site.

A total of 82 piles will support the new rail bridge and a further 65 will be installed for the elevated walkway. These are expected to be in place by the end of August.

Removal of the Tonsley station is almost complete.

This will make way for retaining walls, a ramp and the realignment of the track.

An average of 55 full-time equivalent jobs are expected to be created each year over the life of the project, which is scheduled for completion in mid-2020.

Mr Knoll said the project would benefit the entire community.

“The Marshall Government is investing hundreds of millions of dollars to build a better public transport network that delivers more customer focused services,” he said.

“The Tonsley line extension builds on the $615 million Gawler electrification project currently underway, as well as the $33.5 million on the table to build Park ‘n’ Rides along the O-Bahn.”

Ms Flint described it as “congestion-busting infrastructure”.

In April, it was revealed the cost of the project had blown out from $86 million to $125 million.

The price hike was attributed to design changes in line with “safety, functional and stakeholder requirements”.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4092 Post by Spotto » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Despite having a cost blowout more than the Port Dock branch line, thankfully this project was not canned too!

On another note, shouldn't we split the Flinders Link Project into its own topic thread? Other rail projects have been given the same treatment.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4093 Post by SRW » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:15 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 pm
Despite having a cost blowout more than the Port Dock branch line, thankfully this project was not canned too!
That's because this one has federal dollars involved. I'm glad it's going ahead too (even if not not in the most ideal format).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4094 Post by Spotto » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:51 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Spotto wrote:
That's because this one has federal dollars involved. I'm glad it's going ahead too (even if not not in the most ideal format).
What would be the most ideal format?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4095 Post by SRW » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:51 pm
SRW wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Spotto wrote:
What would be the most ideal format?
Closer to the interchange, or aligned with Flinders Drive.
Keep Adelaide Weird